Thread: Fraps Issue

Fraps Issue

Hey guys, I can run WoW on max settings with 60+FPS, and I can maintain an fps of 40+ on ultra while recording with fraps, but when I get into combat my scren randomly freezes for about a tenth of a second every 2 or 3 seconds. Any Ideas? Unfortunately saving the clips to another drive isnt an option yet but I'm convinced theres something esle going on here because I'm able to run multiple copies of WoW at once without any kind of issue. Suggestions? ty

Quote Originally Posted by Macetodaface View Post
    [...] Unfortunately saving the clips to another drive isnt an option yet [...]
    This is your issue most likely. You are probably running into the I/O limit and it's causing the stuttering you mention.

ok, at least I know. I should have an ssd within a week or 2, ty

100% correct, having a seperate HDD to record onto that doesnt have wow/OS on it will allow you to record full-sized 60fps clips, huge CPU strain but it can do, as i just found out last night when i got my second HDD =D

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some good options would be to buy 2x WD Raptor Drives and RAID0 them.
    You could also buy a Solid State drive which is even faster, but you are limited on the overall size of the drive unless you have some serious cash to throw at some of the larger SSD's.

But as these guys said, you are pretty much hitting the ceiling on your read/write speeds of your hdd. You'd see a marginal improvement just by switching to an entirely separate 7200rpm drive, but the above options will give you much better performance.

Deleted
    Just a seperate hdd will work fine.
    I play from an SSD and record onto a 7200RPM HDD, and i've never had any issues, even whilst playing Battlefield 3 i never get hickups or any sort of fps loss. (while recording)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonlockMG View Post
    Some good options would be to buy 2x WD Raptor Drives and RAID0 them.
    You could also buy a Solid State drive which is even faster, but you are limited on the overall size of the drive unless you have some serious cash to throw at some of the larger SSD's.

But as these guys said, you are pretty much hitting the ceiling on your read/write speeds of your hdd. You'd see a marginal improvement just by switching to an entirely separate 7200rpm drive, but the above options will give you much better performance.
    no, you will see a vast improvement by recording to a separate drive. a normal 7200rpm drive (as long as it's not a caviar green drive or a power-saving drive) is more than enough to record to. recording to an ssd is a waste and you don't need raid0 transfer speeds when recording unless it's some super-high-def recording
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to record 1920x1200 Ultra settings @ 45fps. I use to record on a WD Cav. Black 1tb, but picked up 2x WD Raptor 74gb drives from the IT guys at work for free, so I just use those in RAID0 now.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/duomgod?feature=mhee