Should I use AMR's "Prioritize CTC" option when checking how to gem/reforge/upgrade?

Just curious here since I derpingly never noticed that Ask Mr. Robot now has a "Prioritize CTC" option. Should this be something I select until I hit 102.4%? Playing around with it, for my Pally (and presumably for my Warrior too) selecting it suggests to replace almost all gems with straight Fractured Amberjewels except in certain circumstances, and it sometimes suggests keeping a threat stat and reducing an avoidance stat if it will give more mastery (e.g. I Just got the normal boots off Rhyolith and with Prioritize CTC AMR says reforge Dodge to Mastery, keeping Expertise untouched). Thus far I've been following the standard of Parry/Mastery in Red, Stam/Mastery in blue and pure Mastery in yellow.

Is this "Prioritize CTC" thing something worth doing? My paladin is slightly undergeared compared to my Warrior but should be good enough for my group's normal Firelands clears (maybe not HM Shannox or our HM attempts)
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2011-10-20 at 11:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Just curious here since I derpingly never noticed that Ask Mr. Robot now has a "Prioritize CTC" option. Should this be something I select until I hit 102.4%? Playing around with it, for my Pally (and presumably for my Warrior too) selecting it suggests to replace almost all gems with straight Fractured Amberjewels except in certain circumstances, and it sometimes suggests keeping a threat stat and reducing an avoidance stat if it will give more mastery (e.g. I Just got the normal boots off Rhyolith and with Prioritize CTC AMR says reforge Dodge to Mastery, keeping Expertise untouched). Thus far I've been following the standard of Parry/Mastery in Red, Stam/Mastery in blue and pure Mastery in yellow.

Is this "Prioritize CTC" thing something worth doing? My paladin is slightly undergeared compared to my Warrior but should be good enough for my group's normal Firelands clears (maybe not HM Shannox or our HM attempts)
    Prioritising CTC is a good thing, particularly when it comes to reforges. In my experience, healers prefer you to take less "spikes", and as such it keeps their lives less stressful. Gemwise however, I'd continue to stick to the mantra of matching socket bonuses whilst being mastery focused, even if you are unable to cap CTC in the process. Aside from anything you need 2x blue gems to activate the shield block meta.

Maximising TDR (total damage reduction, meaning reforging the threat stat first ALWAYS), is a nice thing to do, but we've come out of the dark era that was early cataclysm, and healer mana pools can take the hit, assuming you don't take that much spike damage (which is where CTC comes in), but ofc YMMV with this.

tl;dr, follow its advice for reforging, but keep gemming for socket bonuses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I let AMR take the default ('balanced') approach to things, and it puts me at just under 90% CTC (with just Kings up). I haven't had any survivability problems, and my healers haven't smacked me (which is good, since they could all drive for five minutes to do so).

If you're only using your Paladin on normal FL, you should be fine with this. I can't say the same for heroic, as I've got no experience on that front.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

It didn't change anything for me when I checked the box using default... Why not just check it lol.

Yes, you should hit the CTC cap before worrying about any other stat.

I'm the main developer of the tanking options and stat weights for Mr. Robot, thought I'd jump in and clarify a few of the options a bit:

- The default stat weights aim to minimize your total damage taken. If your gear would take you over the total avoidance cap, it will typically try to keep you just under in order to maximize your score.

- If you check "Prioritize CTC", the optimizer will treat getting to at least the total avoidance cap as the highest priority. Thus, if your gear can't quite get there, it's probably not a good idea to turn the option on -- it'll stack mastery everywhere you can get it to try and get as much CTC as possible. This options works best when your current gear can reasonably surpass the cap.

- If you go to the "Presets" tab at the lower-right and choose the "low level CTC" set of stat weights, this is yet another slightly different option. It is generally very similar to the default weights, but favors items with mastery even more. You can use these weights with or without the "Prioritize CTC" capping option.

In summary, if your gear can't quite reach 102.4% avoidance, turn off "Prioritize CTC", and try one of the two stat weight presets to see which gives you a set of gear that you prefer.

If you can reach 102.4% avoidance, try turning on "Prioritzie CTC" to ensure that you stay right at the cap.

Prioritize CTC is broken because it's guessing diminishing returns and it's guessing wrong. What it's trying to do is if you are over CTC it's removing mastery and adding dodge/parry and stamina.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfive View Post
    I'm the main developer of the tanking options and stat weights for Mr. Robot, thought I'd jump in and clarify a few of the options a bit:

- The default stat weights aim to minimize your total damage taken. If your gear would take you over the total avoidance cap, it will typically try to keep you just under in order to maximize your score.

- If you check "Prioritize CTC", the optimizer will treat getting to at least the total avoidance cap as the highest priority. Thus, if your gear can't quite get there, it's probably not a good idea to turn the option on -- it'll stack mastery everywhere you can get it to try and get as much CTC as possible. This options works best when your current gear can reasonably surpass the cap.

- If you go to the "Presets" tab at the lower-right and choose the "low level CTC" set of stat weights, this is yet another slightly different option. It is generally very similar to the default weights, but favors items with mastery even more. You can use these weights with or without the "Prioritize CTC" capping option.

In summary, if your gear can't quite reach 102.4% avoidance, turn off "Prioritize CTC", and try one of the two stat weight presets to see which gives you a set of gear that you prefer.

If you can reach 102.4% avoidance, try turning on "Prioritzie CTC" to ensure that you stay right at the cap.
    This is a perfect clarification of how it works. So it sounds like since my gear is far off from being near 102.4%, that option is not for me, while for instance on my Warrior I can hit it with buffs so it might be worth looking at.