GM wants me to play a warlock

i currently play a hunter and we lost our warlock and can't find a GOOD one to fill his place and my gm trusts my skills to able to play a warlock and perform well

which spec should i begin with?
    which spec do you enjoy the most?
    thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    You have a link to armory with current gear? Best to go with a spec that your gear compliments more -- this can change once you acquire more gear (obviously).

Spec depends on why your GM wants a Warlock that bad

Deleted
    Affliction is by far the most fun spec, but if you are in a 10 man guild, you prolly need to play Demo (10% sp) or Destro (Replenish).

no point in linking armory i have to level him lol, im 58 atm should be 85 by next weeks raiding

yea there is no mage in the group so probably demo, but leveling up want to try different specs out

Deleted
    If you have an ele shaman he provides the 10% sp buff as well, so demo not necessary in that case. Demo has the best AoE however.

It depends on what your raid needs but if you have the freedom to choose a spec I would go with either of the haste dependant ones. I am leaning more for destro because the play style maybe be more similar to that of a hunter. I mayself play as demo because I find that spec to be the most fun for my style of game play. If you are not sure try out all the specs by soloing low level dungeons to get a feel for how the class works and the limitions of each spec.

Deleted
    I suggest you not to raid with destro atm...it's sucks as it is now in dmg...affliction for fun or demonology for serious dmg and raid buff (10% sp)...for everything related on gemming/stats/rotation there's a thread sticky on the forum ...also level that warlock with spec you currently want to raid with, it helps with experiencing through the levels

Quote Originally Posted by datrupimp View Post
    i currently play a hunter and we lost our warlock and can't find a GOOD one to fill his place and my gm trusts my skills to able to play a warlock and perform well

which spec should i begin with?
    which spec do you enjoy the most?
    thanks!
    Here is my Old Warlock, i dont play wow anymore:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nsprout/simple
    Demo Spec is competitive if you min max your character, meaning have all the macros that go along with demo spec.
    Demo Lacks Burst like Affliction, however has the best aoe in all of wow. Think Bael'Roc In melee range,demonform/imo aura all cds popped.

Destro imo the best of all of them, played that as my main spec when my warlock was my main.
    Single target burst is good,Aoe stun=great. Mana is not a problem with this spec, the priority is a little funky at the start.

Afflic is great, mana is not a problem as long as you tap at the right time. AOE is great when adds dont die fast.
    Single target is on par with destro or better with the buffs to fel hunter. priority is probably the easiest of them all.
    Take this with a grain of salt, Warlock Does get boring to a point where you want to reroll. I dont know why but i went back to my rogue/shaman after a while.
    My friend/old officer told me this before i leveled him for our guild.

Pros: Great DPS i was doing 18-21k dps on most fights during the BWD/BoT Patch in mid range gear
    Last edited by Chadstorm; 2011-10-20 at 03:37 PM.

Deleted
    Statistically, I believe Demo has now overtaken Affliction in general top DPS - Not by much though, both specs are very viable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Annya View Post
    Statistically, I believe Demo has now overtaken Affliction in general top DPS - Not by much though, both specs are very viable.
    It's fight and gear dependent, demo scales very well with gear - so at high levels and on certain fights it overtakes, it's dependent on being in melee range though.

In regards to OP; affliction and demonology - you'll need both specs for different things. I despite how demo plays currently, but it's important if you're lacking enough aoe to deal with seeds etc on Ragnaros HC.

If you go for the Moonwell Chalice , you should try demo since that trinket is just extremely good for demo , if you get alot of gear that is haste specific try affi , since the main stat for that is haste. For Dual spec i would also advise these , but keep in mind that destro is getting buffed in 4.3 , so that might become a viable spec aswell.

If you want to play demo your best bet is to hold off until you get moonwell chalice. In the mean time affliction will probably be the fastest spec for you to gear to be able to do any kind of good dps. Buy [Darkmoon Card: Volcano] and get a 5 heroic use effect trinket (the ones with spellpower and haste are generally the best at that level, also u could get the JC trinket). Demo really needs the kick from chalice to make it worth playing over affliction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Affliction -
    Pros
    -Provides aoe 8% damage debuff
    -Good Steady DPS
    -Great two - three target dps
    -Great execute
    Cons
    -High ramp up time \ ramp up falls quickly and is per target
    -Lower dps until execute
    -Low aoe dps unless it fits in well with SB:SoC

Demo
    Pros
    -Insane burst DPS between both doomguard and meta
    -Great burst aoe
    -Good overall dps
    -Provides 10% SP buff
    Cons
    -Very cool down dependent
    -Must be in melee range to get max DPS
    -Movement hurts dps slightly more then other specs

Destro-
    Pros
    -Provides Replenisment
    -AoE Stun
    -Good defensive cooldown
    -Easier to execute two target DPS with BoH
    Cons
    -High ramp up time, however ISF is a self buff and doesn't need to be maintained with extra targets.
    -Currently lower DPS, but in 4.3 this is getting buffed.
    -Rotation can be somewhat unwieldy when you have to hardcast soul fire.

All specs are pretty fun to play, and basically each has a focus on a different part of nearly the same basic rotation. All specs have an execute, all specs use 3 dots, all specs use a filler, all specs have at least one cd nuke. Basically all specs you have to manage you 3 dots, demon soul, 1cd nuke, and your pet. The difference lie in mostly play style. Affliction our dps is an emphasis on your dots and debuffs with properly executing drain soul as an execute. Demo your dps comes from mainly your pets and cooldowns so properly timing out your cooldowns for the fight is key. Destro your dps comes from your nukes while maintaining ISF and immolate to keep them doing high damage.

Personally I like affliction the best due to the amount of control you have with your dots. The way DoT mechanics work let you roll buffs for longer then their duration and also let you maintain high dps while moving for short duration. I don't really like being too dependent on cooldowns and don't like that if I am forced to stop casting for a set time that my dps will drop off fast.

Hope that helps

Honestly you should just play whatever spec your raid group needs. The benefits of each spec have been listed above, or alternatively you could put your raid composition into http://raidcomp.mmo-champion.com/ and see which spec gives your raid the most benefit.

Besides that, in 4.3 all three specs will be viable, so if you don't need any buffs you can just play whichever spec you enjoy the most or whichever spec best fits the fight that you're working on. Personally I find demo the most enjoyable spec to play, but that's just personal opinion and I do respec whenever I'm working on a fight that greatly favours a different spec.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadstorm View Post
    Demo Lacks Burst like Affliction

lol what? is this serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Chadstorm View Post
    Here is my Old Warlock, i dont play wow anymore:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nsprout/simple
    Demo Spec is competitive if you min max your character, meaning have all the macros that go along with demo spec.
    Demo Lacks Burst like Affliction, however has the best aoe in all of wow. Think Bael'Roc In melee range,demonform/imo aura all cds popped.

Destro imo the best of all of them, played that as my main spec when my warlock was my main.
    Single target burst is good,Aoe stun=great. Mana is not a problem with this spec, the priority is a little funky at the start.

Afflic is great, mana is not a problem as long as you tap at the right time. AOE is great when adds dont die fast.
    Single target is on par with destro or better with the buffs to fel hunter. priority is probably the easiest of them all.
    Take this with a grain of salt, Warlock Does get boring to a point where you want to reroll. I dont know why but i went back to my rogue/shaman after a while.
    My friend/old officer told me this before i leveled him for our guild.

Pros: Great DPS i was doing 18-21k dps on most fights during the BWD/BoT Patch in mid range gear
    Not trying to flame you or anything man but why are you here?
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Not trying to flame you or anything man but why are you here?
    to tell him his opinions on the 3 specs?

demo is pretty beast atm

The Arcane only corrupts the weak..