Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why can't i stay excited for this game?

Bit of background info:

I'm a pretty big SW nut. All the movies, most of the books, named my dog Chewie,etc. I even won first place at a Darth Maul costume contest at a movie theater in Okinawa, Japan when Ep1 came out. To put it plainly, I'd say I'm more than just a casual fan.

Now, onto my strife.

I absolutely cannot stay motivated for this game. I preordered the CE back in June/July. I religiously followed all the tor sites to find the latest info.

Lately, every video i see of the game, has me feeling less excited for the game. I'm now even in the process of comparing it to other games (which is stupid before 90% of the content info is out). I can't help myself but compare it's graphics against GW2, it's gameplay against WoW, it's story against others' lore. Everytime i do this, i find tons of things i don't like about the game.

This is the first time i've ever been this involved, and simultaneously, this bored with a video game prior to launch.

Did i overdo it?

Anyone else feeling less excited with each passing day?

WTF is wrong with me?

I think you are simply bored from seeing/reading the same news/videos/ time and time again! EA & Bioware seem to hoarding all the really juicy info for just before launch or at launch as I haven't seen anything revolutionary being advertised lately! I just think they gave too much info at first rather than sprinkling it over the months upto release!
    We ought to be seeing some really compelling info over the next couple months, so don't give up on it yet!

I get more and more excited everyday, personally. Back when it was first announced I just rolled my eyes and thought to myself, "Biggest. Flop. Ever." But as time went on I grew more and more excited.

It sounds like a bit of burnout, so much excitement over the game without being able to experience it for yourself, it kind of becomes the unreachable goal.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, I get more excited by the hour. The worst part is knowing we still have a decent wait.

Maybe go play KoTor again, might help. But honestly, your probably just subconsciously pissed about still having to wait and it is making you think your not interested when, in fact, you are so interested it hurts.

Sounds a bit like over-exposure. Nothing can ever live up to the expectations you place on it, so maybe just take a step back and just coast into the release and make up your mind once you've played it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's somewhat common. Don't worry though. Once you play, you'll be giddy again. =)

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

You need to stop over-analyzing the game especially when we still don't know a lot about it. The worst mistake you can make is comparing it to other games. I get more excited everyday, the story is going to be amazing and when all else fails.. BIOWARE will not let us down.

True, i probably am overdoing it.

I agree on the Bioware comment as well, but feel they do a better job when working within their own universe, rather than someone else's. I've been replaying ME2 lately, and its such an amazing game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be happy about the fact that you're not as hooked as I am. Im counting the hours untill release, It's a worse than the day before X-mas when I was young.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    Be happy about the fact that you're not as hooked as I am. Im counting the hours untill release, It's a worse than the day before X-mas when I was young.
    60 days/11 hours/25 minutes/25-24-23-22 seconds!

My Rainmeter has a countdown bar all to itself haha.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Nah, I get more excited by the hour. The worst part is knowing we still have a decent wait.
    Same here, past two weeks my hype-o-meter went overboard. At least BF3 and Skyrim are arround the corner and will help me forget a little about swtor, because indeed 2 months is still quite a long time. QQqqQQ

10+ Year Old Account
    You probably burned yourself out. Take a break and play/concentrate on something else for a while.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The problem is lots of sites that offer information are based on trolls and not people who played the game. They compare WoW, Guild Wars and Swotor without playing 2 of 3 games, which makes it impossible to have a educated opinion. I played Beta for about 5 days last week, got to lvl 15, and i'm more excited for the game than ever. I played WoW for 4 years now and this game is a welcomed change. Graphics are amazing, mostly the enviroment, i found myself looking around during quests just to soak in all the surroundings. The story and quests are what makes the game, i didn't expect it to make such a big difference but it really sucks you in the story. One more thing, i have 4 85 lvl characters in WoW and unless i'm raiding I feel there is nothing to do. In this game you really have countless options , from building up your ship, your companions, raids, pvp , crafting, quests etc there is no reason to ever be bored. Anyways the bottom line is don't worry this game is everything and more than you expect, i cancelled my subscription to WoW after playing the beta if that tells you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennydabull View Post
    Bit of background info:

I'm a pretty big SW nut. All the movies, most of the books, named my dog Chewie,etc. I even won first place at a Darth Maul costume contest at a movie theater in Okinawa, Japan when Ep1 came out. To put it plainly, I'd say I'm more than just a casual fan.

Now, onto my strife.

I absolutely cannot stay motivated for this game. I preordered the CE back in June/July. I religiously followed all the tor sites to find the latest info.

Lately, every video i see of the game, has me feeling less excited for the game. I'm now even in the process of comparing it to other games (which is stupid before 90% of the content info is out). I can't help myself but compare it's graphics against GW2, it's gameplay against WoW, it's story against others' lore. Everytime i do this, i find tons of things i don't like about the game.

This is the first time i've ever been this involved, and simultaneously, this bored with a video game prior to launch.

Did i overdo it?

Anyone else feeling less excited with each passing day?

WTF is wrong with me?
    No I think you are ok with your analysis. But don't be disheartened.

Here is the thing, everyone that I know who played beta absolutely loved it but when I watch the videos its like "meh" seen that before. So what I take from that is the story line, voicing, immersion is awesome but that immersion can't be translated into a youtube video with some dude narrating it. So I'm placing my faith that the story line is done right and the single player portion is totally gonna be worth it.

I have no comment on the raiding or dungeons.

The PvP I used to think oh this is going to suck but I have found reason for hope. The reason is I hear there will be PvP lakes and an entire zone dedicated to world pvp. This is similar to warhammer and all my friends loved the PvP in that game, where warhammer failed was the end game PvP became absurd with the differences in newbs vs veterans. If SWTOR can actually balance the end game so its not a gear grind I think the PvP will do well.

10+ Year Old Account
    snip
    What I am going to do is play BF3 and do school work untill launch. So in other words "forget" the game then get exsited when it is only a few days left and can read a lot of stuff and then start playing. Atm I am wating for BF3 to launch so yeah....

Eh, just stop looking at the sites so much, stop playing any other mmo(simply to build the hunger back up) if you're playing any and play a few other games. Mw3 is coming soon or bf3 if you prefer.

Regardless if you stop looking and rebuild excitement or keeping looking and getting worried, when you log in for the first time your junk is still gonna hit the bottom of your desk. Even if its not as consuming as other games you gave your life away to, its gonna at least have one hell of a honeymoon period.

I can't help myself but compare it's graphics against GW2, it's gameplay against WoW, it's story against others' lore. Everytime i do this, i find tons of things i don't like about the game.
    Graphics are fine, look up some HD shots, they just went with a different kind of aesthetic. Could be you don't like it, some people don't, but frankly it's advanced a lot over the last year and is now at a place I'm personally more than fine with.

Gameplay against WoW? Well, TOR has just about everything WoW does and then some, so... what are you missing there exactly? Only thing I can think of is playing a lone class (companions bother some people), but really scratching my head at this part.

It's story against others' lore? *blinks* Seriously? Star Wars lore, BioWare at the head of it, everything we hear about the story pretty much being positive? What exactly are you comparing it to that it seems even remotely lacking?

True, i probably am overdoing it.

I agree on the Bioware comment as well, but feel they do a better job when working within their own universe, rather than someone else's. I've been replaying ME2 lately, and its such an amazing game.
    To the best of my knowledge, KOTOR is their only game where they've worked outside their own universe and it's their single most acclaimed game, so... what now?
    Last edited by Vrachara; 2011-10-20 at 09:41 PM.

I'm less excited then I was a month ago but still excited. Not getting into beta while tons of others have has made me bitter. I'm tired of this NDA and tired of waiting for the game. If I could hack/cheat I would, but I don't have the knowledge or determination to do so.

Like me you have probably OD'd on the game info you have gotten so far and/or have burnt yourself out waiting for this game to finally arrive. You are coming off your SWTOR high and its scaring you a bit.

---------- Post added 2011-10-20 at 09:45 PM ----------

Bit of background info:

I can't help myself but compare it's graphics against GW2, it's gameplay against WoW, it's story against others' lore. Everytime i do this, i find tons of things i don't like about the game.
    I don't understand those fears though. The graphics are good enough to the point where they don't bring down the game and they arn't overdone for graphic junkies and long production time. SWTOR compared to WoW? I don't understand how you think WoW can come even close to what SWTOR offers so I'm confused how that is a worry, WoW is efficient but thoroughly disappointing. I don't know how you can find SW lore lacking. Its a massive franchise with more context then any other mmo with LOTR being the only one who comes close, plus it thoroughly integrates KOTOR history into it so thats golden right there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    What I am going to do is play BF3 and do school work untill launch. So in other words "forget" the game then get exsited when it is only a few days left and can read a lot of stuff and then start playing. Atm I am wating for BF3 to launch so yeah....
    Exactly what I'll be doing, except I don't go to school anymore so BF3, movies, tv shows, party, football, sleep until launch.

I am so pumped for this game, but I'm having a hard time motivating my friends. I have showed them videos, clearly showing the fluid combat animations. They have responded 'meh', which really surprises me, because the game honestly is looking amazing.

IN any case, I can't wait for the NDA to be lifted, so we can see and discuss all the fanitastic stuff from Beta.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?