High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

I put it together, Y U NO WORK!!

Right, so I bought all the right parts, I think, and put it together correctly, I think, why don´t my PC work!?

The parts I put together is:
    i5-2500k stock cooling
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
    Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600mhz 2x4gb
    MSI 560ti Twin Frozr II 1gb
    Corsair HX 650w
    Pleztor DVD R/RW
    WD Velociraptor 150 gb HDD
    In-win FANQUA

Here´s my first problem: When I try booting it up it gives me a CPU-temp to high error? How come? And the CPU don´t feel hot at all...

did you plug in the cpu fan cable? both the little cable from the cooler to the MB and the cable from the power supply to the MB?

Deleted
    My first thought is that you haven't plugged in the CPU fan properly. Open up your computers and give all cables and wires a thorough check to make sure they are all connected properly. Also, there might be interference if you plug in the CPU heatsink fan in another connector; make sure it's plugged into the one labeled "CPU_FAN" or similar.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, the CPU fan is correctly and safely plugged, and I´ve conected both PSU ocnnectors to the MB..

Just tried rebooting, and it still says the CPU is overheated right of the start.. 86 C now, but slowly dropping to 74 C...

Also, the BIOS detects my 1600 mhz RAM as 1333 mhz...

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ica View Post
    Yup, the CPU fan is correctly and safely plugged, and I´ve conected both PSU ocnnectors to the MB..

Just tried rebooting, and it still says the CPU is overheated right of the start.. 86 C now, but slowly dropping to 74 C...

Also, the BIOS detects my 1600 mhz RAM as 1333 mhz...
    You'll have to set the speed manually or enable XMP, then it'll detect it at the faster speed, since technically you're 'overclocking' the ram since SB's natively run with 1333.

Assuming your fan and everything is connected correctly, you may have a bad sensor, and unfortunately there's not much that can be done about that, and if it's keeping you from being able to boot or do anything past the BIOS then you'll need the mobo replaced. Again, that's assuming everything is plugged in correctly, which should obviously be done first.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oki, that´s an easy fix then.. But I still can´t understand what´s with the CPU temp.. As I´m writing this the temp rises to 86 C...

Deleted
    Sounds like the CPU heatsink isn't mounted properly. Try reseating it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm.. I´ll try that then.. Another thing, I didn´t use any thermal paste, is that something that could cause this problem?

Are you watching your heatsink fans actually turn?
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Hmm.. I´ll try that then.. Another thing, I didn´t use any thermal paste, is that something that could cause this problem?
    There should have been some on the bottom of the heatsink. If not, then use some as not having any will definitely cause overheating problems.
    Last edited by Ecwfrk; 2011-10-21 at 01:59 PM.

The stock cooler has flimsy graphite. It's easy to fuck it over. If this happens, which it seems to have in your case, simply get new thermal paste.

Remove the old graphite (120% alcohol is particularly good at it), then place a small dot of thermal paste on the processor. Place the heatsink on again and secure it. Your temperatures should drop enormously.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The small dot of paste was allready there, I just didn´t notice it, and now that I mounted the cooler properly it runs at a cool 26 C

Now, to reinstall Win 7 and all the other necessities Thanks for the help and tips guys I´ll be back if I continue to n00b out

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know I'm coming into the thread late, but good job on fixing the problem! Glad to hear it, 26C is a great temp, even for stock cooling. Get some pics in the post your gaming setup thread when all's said and done!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water