Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I've been using Avira for probably 5 years.. no reason to change for me.

Deleted
    I used Bullguard Internet Security for the longest time, it has some really nice feature and the sandbox was great. Unfortunately lately Bullguard has cost slowdowns of my system and nothing will fix it.

Since my license is going to expire I'm switching to ESET Smart Security (NOD32) as it was recommended to me. It's one month free trial so can't hurt to try it, so far so good. It's also very lightweight (it's not lacking anything that i can tell, unlike someone else said already).

All these makes of ativirus and none of them beat......Common sense!!!
    Get free avg, adblock , Noscript, free adware.
    Never pay for half the shit out there, ive never had a virus/keylogger etc etc , use your brain and dont click shit you dont know, or visit them dodgy .ru hack sites.
    I tried all sorts in the past and they was all shit that came with there own problems.
    Norton - Takes complete control of your computer , its goal is to dominate the world as Master PC Hog skynet style.
    Nod32 was just a pile of shit tbh, so many errors and problems and it did make my comp slowdown.
    I did try another but i cant remember now.
    Last edited by BatteredSausage; 2011-11-01 at 02:30 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteredSausage View Post
    Get free avg, adblock , Noscript.
    Never pay for half the shit out there, ive never had a virus/keylogger etc etc , use your brain and dont click shit you dont know, or visit them dodgy .ru hack sites.
    I tried all sorts in the past and they was all shit that came with there own problems.
    Damn right. Best antivirus tool is your brain.
    Well that's just typical. Ten minutes before the most important party of my life, and half the house has been destroyed by a giant sandwich.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteredSausage View Post
    Get free avg, adblock , Noscript.
    Errr this is not necessarily true, ad block + noscript are not 100% effective. You can still have intrusions through your browser, especially IE, save your self a head ache people and go chrome(because firefox uses to much memory and is slow.)

I personally use Norton 360, unless you play on a toaster you wont notice a decrease in power. I also use MWB. And for the love of the gods disable your auto run!
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I used Bullguard Internet Security for the longest time, it has some really nice feature and the sandbox was great. Unfortunately lately Bullguard has cost slowdowns of my system and nothing will fix it.

Since my license is going to expire I'm switching to ESET Smart Security (NOD32) as it was recommended to me. It's one month free trial so can't hurt to try it, so far so good. It's also very lightweight (it's not lacking anything that i can tell, unlike someone else said already).
    I got a rootkit/worm from a compromised site (my old WoW guilds site), ESET picked it up, its definitions said it could fix it, but it didn't. it missed 6 files related to the worm that MBAM picked up and removed, however nothing with nod32 would get rid of it hence why im looking at moving away.

If you check some AV comparison sites, NOD32 is down near the bottom with MSE and other unknown ones, from what I've gathered, bitdefender, kaspersky and f-secure are near the top, I came into this thread to find out if anyone had any experience with either of the three and if i needed the full security centre or just the AV.

And to those saying "common sense etc" "i've never had a virus", I'd be willing to bet that you have. you were more than likely not aware of it.
    Last edited by mmoc1175caa2c9; 2011-11-01 at 02:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by invizion View Post
    I got a rootkit/worm from a compromised site (my old WoW guilds site), ESET picked it up, its definitions said it could fix it, but it didn't. it missed 6 files related to the worm that MBAM picked up and removed, however nothing with nod32 would get rid of it hence why im looking at moving away.

If you check some AV comparison sites, NOD32 is down near the bottom with MSE and other unknown ones, from what I've gathered, bitdefender, kaspersky and f-secure are near the top, I came into this thread to find out if anyone had any experience with either of the three and if i needed the full security centre or just the AV
    Nod32 not fixing it was not the problem, the rootkit was smarter then the AV. Any AV could have trouble fixing a rootkit, probably used volsnap to shadow copy itself into a hidden partition. Alot like how that one rookit a couple years ago did exactly what i said above.
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by holyforce View Post
    Nod32 not fixing it was not the problem, the rootkit was smarter then the AV. Any AV could have trouble fixing a rootkit, probably used volsnap to shadow copy itself into a hidden partition. Alot like how that one rookit a couple years ago did exactly what i said above.
    fair enough, but after waiting over 2 weeks for a "fix" and nothing working, I contacted their customer support multiple times during this period and nothing worked. I gave up with them and all that was left to do was format. while i'm not overly savvy with how rootkits, worms and viruses work, I do expect my PAID AV to be up to the challenge of repair and removal, let alone within a 2 week period...

After researching AV's in the last couple of days (in terms of detection, FP's, removal and real time protection), I'm actually quite shocked at how bad nod32 is compared to how good it used to be
    Last edited by mmoc1175caa2c9; 2011-11-01 at 02:31 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by invizion View Post

If you check some AV comparison sites, NOD32 is down near the bottom with MSE and other unknown ones, from what I've gathered, bitdefender, kaspersky and f-secure are near the top, I came into this thread to find out if anyone had any experience with either of the three and if i needed the full security centre or just the AV
    A few years ago I was a fulltime techie and I generally had to deal with many virus related problems each day. Kaspersky (back then) had a good name, but this was at a stage when all of the Symantec products (Norton AV, Norton360) were worse than the infections they could supposedly guard against. Unless they have significantly lifted their game you could not pay me to run Norton360 on my machines. In fact, a Symantec rep sent my work some trial copies. I printed out a letter and faxed it back to him, thanking him very much for the discs, which were just the ticket for stopping coffee rings appearing on our desks. At that stage Norton was frantically trying to rebuild market share after a series of appallingly bad AV suites. Symantec corporate level software (actually labelled 'Symantec' rather than 'norton') is quite good though, go figure.

F-secure has been up at the top of the pile for a while IIRC.
    Well that's just typical. Ten minutes before the most important party of my life, and half the house has been destroyed by a giant sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by holyforce View Post
    Errr this is not necessarily true, ad block + noscript are not 100% effective. You can still have intrusions through your browser, especially IE, save your self a head ache people and go chrome(because firefox uses to much memory and is slow.)

I personally use Norton 360, unless you play on a toaster you wont notice a decrease in power. I also use MWB. And for the love of the gods disable your auto run!
    Ye i agree firefox is a bit of a hogger lately, but i have to say Who the fuck uses IE anymore????? id rather inject cats piss into my eyes than run that program lol

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I been using avast! lately, but best imo is Kaspersky Anti Virus, problem is you have to buy it after 30 days or it will lose a lot of it's power.

Deleted
    Well I've currently got kaspersky on a lowerspec system and bitdefender on my gaming pc (both trials) and I'm going to throw what I can at them during those 30 days and I shall report back.

Also for the sake of comparison, I will also throw some at nod32 (full paid version) which I'll install on my partners laptop

Initial impressions of bitdefender.... it feels as if my net is slower when browsing, It could be just me but I'm not sure
    Last edited by mmoc1175caa2c9; 2011-11-01 at 02:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Nod32 is really bad in removing viruses, it can detect those for you but after that you're screwed. This is well documented fact in reputable tests that meter the AV products' abilitiy to remove viruses it finds. So no, it wont hurt to try it, but it won't help either.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    AVG is great, and it's super fast when scanning.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm using Microsoft Forefront. Only noticed once when it did a system scan and that's because i wondered why there was an icon spinning next to my clock.

Doesn't slow down my system at all, it does two scans per day and also scans all compressed files before uncompressing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Microsoft security essentials, Threat fire and Mal-ware bytes as well as Advanced System care
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Deleted
    F-secure

microsoft security essentials is hands down the best imo
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

Get NoScript for Firefox and browse safely.

With that in place: any viruses you end up with, you probably installed them yourself.

Played WoW since late 2006 and never had my account compromised.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shocktopuslol View Post
    microsoft security essentials is hands down the best imo
    Can people quit with the MSE being the "best"??

It's been proven to be one of the worst of the free AV's out there let alone compared to the paid ones