Overheating problem

Hey guys have a problem with my computer and seeing if you can help me out.

My specs
    i7 930
    ATI Radeon 5870
    Gigabyte x58 ud3r
    G skils 6gs ram
    1 TB HD
    Corsair 750 wat
    Windows 7 64 bit

Ok so about two weeks ago my computer started to overheat and shut off. It eventually would not turn on. When I tried to turn on the computer the graphics card fan would rev very fast and heat up very quickly.

So first thing I did was clean out all of the dust and apply new thermal paste. It worked for 2 days but then again the computer would not post. At first I thought maybe my graphics card failed so I tried an older Nvida card I had lying around. It worked for about 2 minutes but then again the fan reved very fast and the card got extremely hot. Then I started to think it could be the motherboard. Now I contacted gigabyte but it is taking them forever to respond. Then after talking to my friend he said it might be my cpu. Now to me if something was faulty with the cpu I would get no power at all but the mobo does light up and fans do turn on.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't confirm it's an overheating issue without providing any temperatures. The FIRST thing you do when you suspect overheating is open up Catalyst Control Center (for GPU) or CoreTemp/RealTemp (for CPU) and immediately note down the temperatures.

If the system doesn't even post then it could be a PSU or Motherboard issue.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

I can't get temps because the computer will not post like I said in my post.

Could it be the power supply? Wouldn't it not overheat the graphics card but not supply enough power.
    Last edited by Shammypower; 2011-10-22 at 02:47 AM.

How far is it getting any beeping? If so explain the sound.
    Yesterday is history, today is a gift, tomorrow is mystery.

when I hit the power button my monitor shows no signal, all the fans are on with the graphics card fan reving very fast. There is no beep that I can hear.

Sometimes I will get a post but 2 seconds later it will crash and the graphics card fan will rev very fast. When I took out the graphics card I noticed it was extremely hot.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Do you have onboard VGA or is the graphics card the only display option?

There is no onboard graphics card. I don't think it is the graphics card because I tried two ATI 5870s and 1 Nvidia 8800 and they all did the same thing.

I guess my question is would a faulty motherboard cause your graphics card to heat up very fast and cause your computer not to post, or could it be the cpu.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    A faulting PCI Express lane could cause the issue but then again so can a faulting power supply. If you have another PCI Express lane on the motherboard you can test using that slot.

First thing you should do though is unplug the power supply from the wall, Remove the 24/4 pin from the motherboard. Remove the battery from the motherboard. This will reset the motherboards CMOS. Leave the battery out for 30 seconds then put the battery back in. Plug back in the cables and power on the system. Curious if it will POST after a CMOS reset. If it doesn't I really want to say you're looking at a new motherboard or RMAing this one.

Deleted
    have you tried reseating the heatsink? and silly to ask, did you use thermal paste.

If you read my post it states I put new thermal paste on.

As far as the PCI-E slots, I have 3 on my motherboard and have tried all 3, with different types of graphic cards.

I just reset my CMOS and it worked for 30 seconds but then crashed.

Now I am not a computer genius but if it was a faulty power supply how would it overheat the graphics card?

Still trying to contact gigabyte for an RMA but they are very slow.

During POST, all fans will go at full-blast because any sort of fan settings haven't been implemented yet. If you reset the CMOS and it still crashed, I'm willing to bet that it's one of three things: PSU, Motherboard and RAM, and I believe it's least likely to be the PSU, so start with the RAM since it's the easiest to troubleshoot. Try booting with each stick individually and/or try different RAM, if the problem persists, then it's either the motherboard or PSU.

The best way to test the power supply is to get a power supply tester (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16899705002). They're inexpensive and are an invaluable tool. If the PSU checks out, get a new motherboard.

It's not all of the fans just the graphics card fan.

Deleted
    I believe its the PSU, i dont know how a motherboard could heat it up like that.
    My friend had similiar problems not too long ago and burned 4 gfx cards before realizing it was the psu that was burning the gfx card.
    You should borrow a PSU from your friend or something to test it.

Edit: If your nvidia card doesn't use external power its probably not the psu.
    Also have you tried other pci-e slots?
    LoL noticed that your psu is the same as my friends was. Could be a common problem with that model.
    Last edited by mmoc011bdb8843; 2011-10-23 at 05:09 AM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    A faulting power supply could be causing an over voltage on the PCI-E lane which if more power is being distributed to an item that item will heat up. It is highly possible that you have two faulting pieces of hardware here rather than just one. Try testing with another power supply that meets the voltage requirements of your system. If you can not do that then you will need to take your computer in to a repair shop for a proper diagnosis as you do not have the necessary components to diagnose the issue or as mentioned previously you can purchase a power supply tester.

Cool, thanks for the help guys. Going to get my motherboard and power supply RMA since they are still under warranty.