Thread: Malefic Grasp

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Calabera View Post
    Comparing a warlock to a shadow priest is getting old.

The game play while similar in some ways have very different mechanics (i.e. Pets that benefit from our DoTs) having MG as a drain does not mean Mind Flay. Read the tooltip and you will see how much we benefit from it.

I, in the other hand, am glad we got away from having to cast a destruction book spell while as affliction.

Looking forward for Beta, going to beat the hell out my warlock during those times.
    The one thing that really bothered me about affliction when drain life was the go-to filler spell for aff was that it played literally exactly the same as a shadow priest (except during execute). 2 instant cast dots (one of which is automatically refreshed), 1 cast time dot, 1 fast-cast 'nuke' on an 8 second cd, 1 channeled, spammable nuke, and one instant cast spell for mana regen.

That said, the two specs seem to be taking much more unique (and awesome!) directions in MoP: The affliction debuff's are going to be much more noticeable with MG as the main filler, and shadow is becoming much more nukey with the new implementation of shadow orbs.

Also I don't really know what the point of this post was, just felt the need to get it off my chest

Deleted
    all i can say is that i can't wait to play affliction in MoP and to be honest i'm really excited about every spec. It seems as though each spec is going to feel very different from each other and from the current system /awesome

Deleted
    The channel time of Malefic grasp could mean all the difference as far as similarities between Aff locks and Shadow Priests, not to mention we haven't seen all of the final abilities for level 90, for all we know we could be getting some more changes which would alter the rotations.

Deleted
    I can see peoples concern over the new filler, but id be surprised if most really enjoy having to lean too heavy on a slow, boring spell from a different tree, which isnt really supported in a mechanical way other than more damage from passives and the occasional instant cast. From what we've seen maybe only baby locks will have to deal with it for 40 levels before getting something sexier.

10+ Year Old Account
    My main concern with these changes is that with Shadow Bolt changing to a channeled filler, is that Affliction simply wont feel like Affliction anymore. I have a Shadow Priest as well, and when I've used DL as filler in the past and as I do DS on Alysrazor, there really has felt very little difference in the playstyle. The switch from DL to DS for the execute also feels a lot less important or dynamic - as I've said elsewhere, it's just a different coloured beam, one of which you can channel for longer; it's here with SW: D that the SPriest actually gets more interesting than Affliction which actually looses a good chunk of it's rotation and becomes dull in UA being auto-refreshed by DS.

Similarly I am concerned about the apparent loss of Incinerate from Demonology; MC is a major factor in keeping the play dynamic and I was a huge fan of the fact that using the procs to switch filler was kept during the execute in Cata; loosing that altogether would really suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyxxi View Post
    The channel time of Malefic grasp could mean all the difference as far as similarities between Aff locks and Shadow Priests, not to mention we haven't seen all of the final abilities for level 90, for all we know we could be getting some more changes which would alter the rotations.
    Plus, I haven't seen anywhere that says Malefic grasp actually does damage.

The slow trickle of info is killing me

Quote Originally Posted by Eater_of_birds View Post
    I can see peoples concern over the new filler, but id be surprised if most really enjoy having to lean too heavy on a slow, boring spell from a different tree, which isnt really supported in a mechanical way other than more damage from passives and the occasional instant cast. From what we've seen maybe only baby locks will have to deal with it for 40 levels before getting something sexier.
    While I don't like all the talents needed to prop up Sbolt, I pretty much absolutely detest how slow, annoying, and clunky channels are on this game. And there was something cool about proccing Nightfall. What is a channel going to proc besides headaches? And I don't see how this new empowered channel thing is going to make it better, you have to interrupt channels as is in execute phase to refresh, wtf would I want to make the channel even longer?

This is just more homogenization further blurring the lines between Spriest and Aff Locks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jibbyjackjoe View Post
    Plus, I haven't seen anywhere that says Malefic grasp actually does damage.

The slow trickle of info is killing me
    That it replaces Shadow Bolt pretty much confirms that it does. Given that, and it's Haste effect on DoTs it very likely replaces Shadow Embrace as well, meaning our multi-dotting will be further impacted, especially given it's overall effect is much stronger than SE itself. This will have wider reaching implications in that it clearly means DoTs themselves will be weaker, impacting our capacity in PvP to apply widespread damage and pressure healers while still doing nothing to address our lack of burst. Not to mention it being a direct replacement for DL as well in PvP, lessening our self healing and survivability as the lost damage from MG to gain the self healing from DL will be massive.

With what we know, I'm sorry but I honestly cannot see too much positive from the spell as it stands. I also kinda have a feeling the talk of a channeled filler since DL has led to the echo chamber effect in peoples' demands for it, as I genuinely don't think it was that popular but those who liked it were incredibly vocal whereas those against kinda knew it wouldn't last so never really felt the need to say much on it; maybe that's just me *shrug*. Again, it seems odd to say in answer to one question how they really like how Affliction plays right now (as do a lot of people), but suddenly feel the need to completely change it regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Xploits View Post
    I do not understand this bandwagon of wanting a Drain spell for a filler for Affliction. There is absolutely 0 difference between an Affliction Warlock and Shadow Priest with this change.

When Drain Life was outperforming Shadowbolt unintentionally before they fixed it, they stated that they did not want a Channel as a filler for Affliction because the playstyle is too similar to that of Shadow Priests. So what do they plan to do for 5.0? The complete opposite of what they originally said.
    They only gave that reason because at the time it was more acceptable than the reality of, "This is a pve nerf because pvp implications". Too much healing + damage in one ability.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

From what i understand, Malefic Grasp will increase the tick rate of your dots. Does it also do damage as well while channeling it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Not to mention it being a direct replacement for DL as well in PvP, lessening our self healing and survivability as the lost damage from MG to gain the self healing from DL will be massive.
    Unless you take the AoE Drain Life talent or the Dark Regeneration talent, MG will heal you for 25% of the damage it does, and being that DL healing is pretty pitiful at the moment, I can't see that being any worse.
    Member of the 4.3 Firelord club.
    The very mention of demon warlock as a tanking spec makes me vomit profusely, so please abstain from it.

WBC needs damagers, ELE/ARMS/FIRE needed most. Wendigobrewing.com to apply! 2/8 heroic 25m. 3 days, 4 hours a day.

I really hope we don't rely too much on MG for our damage. Because losing our multi dot pressure in Pvp without giving us burst to compensate would ruin Pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    That it replaces Shadow Bolt pretty much confirms that it does. Given that, and it's Haste effect on DoTs it very likely replaces Shadow Embrace as well, meaning our multi-dotting will be further impacted, especially given it's overall effect is much stronger than SE itself. This will have wider reaching implications in that it clearly means DoTs themselves will be weaker, impacting our capacity in PvP to apply widespread damage and pressure healers while still doing nothing to address our lack of burst. Not to mention it being a direct replacement for DL as well in PvP, lessening our self healing and survivability as the lost damage from MG to gain the self healing from DL will be massive.

With what we know, I'm sorry but I honestly cannot see too much positive from the spell as it stands. I also kinda have a feeling the talk of a channeled filler since DL has led to the echo chamber effect in peoples' demands for it, as I genuinely don't think it was that popular but those who liked it were incredibly vocal whereas those against kinda knew it wouldn't last so never really felt the need to say much on it; maybe that's just me *shrug*. Again, it seems odd to say in answer to one question how they really like how Affliction plays right now (as do a lot of people), but suddenly feel the need to completely change it regardless.
    Jessicka,

Every post I have ever read from you makes almost no sense. Please think things through before you randomly spill out words. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RawrlockZz View Post
    From what i understand, Malefic Grasp will increase the tick rate of your dots. Does it also do damage as well while channeling it?
    Reading the new Soul Leech in T1, which says that you heal yourself by 25% of the damage dealt, I would say yes, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellaimed View Post
    Jessicka,

Every post I have ever read from you makes almost no sense. Please think things through before you randomly spill out words. Thanks.
    That was just uncalled for.

I understood her post just fine. Maybe it's you that needs to get better reading comprehension than her who needs to make more sense. Just a thought.

---------- Post added 2011-11-13 at 06:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    They only gave that reason because at the time it was more acceptable than the reality of, "This is a pve nerf because pvp implications". Too much healing + damage in one ability.
    Which is exactly what they did, which is why every ability needs to function differently in PvP than in PvE, because PvE should not get nerfed because of PvP and vice-versa. One part of the game should never take away from another part that's completely unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by RawrlockZz View Post
    There is no way it will do zero damage (see it included in the splash talent) - plus, no ability like that does zero damage - its closest parallel is probably haunt, that does bad damage, but still >0.

It would also make the movement talent way too awesome for affi (slowed channelling when channelling itself does no damage = lolol why do I care?)
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2011-11-14 at 01:10 AM.