Deleted

Bottle-necking guide.

I may start compiling a list of the most popular computer parts and compare them based on criteria.

Firstly what type of user will be looking for what parts. For example, "mainstream" will be defined as someone running a 60hz monitor and 1920x1080 or below, primarily play MMOs, with some FPS/RTS and not be ashamed to drop settings in "computer killers" i.e. Crysis. Advanced would be someone with playing at minimum 1920x1080, most likely above, on a 120hz monitor. Enthusiast would be multi monitor setup.

This would not be a buyer guide, it would be about what parts work best with each other. For example, the i3 2100 and the gtx 560 ti will not bottle neck each other in virtually all circumstances, but it may start holding back a 570. Likewise with PSUs, just what wattage are you really talking about to run a system at load.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? Or is it best left to people asking on the computer built forum?

Deleted
    I'd say enthusiast is 120Hz monitors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    I'd say enthusiast is 120Hz monitors.
    I was going to suggest various setups in enthusiast and advanced. With enthusiast using multiple 120hz monitors, and advanced using multiple 60hz monitors but at lower resolutions.

I think the idea is good in theory, the problem is that it would only be of use if people read it before going about pricing up a system even and even then they usually ask on the forum to be quoted happy.

In theory yes its a great idea, in practice I don't think it would get much use, unless you intend to put it as a page on your wesbsite or something, as a forum post it would get lost unless it was made a sticky.

Then it would need updating with new hardware as and when.

Not saying don't do it, just saying would it actually get used if your going to put the time into it.
    Yesterday is history, today is a gift, tomorrow is mystery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    I was going to suggest various setups in enthusiast and advanced. With enthusiast using multiple 120hz monitors, and advanced using multiple 60hz monitors but at lower resolutions.
    Advanced = 60Hz monitor @ 1080p at least, or multiple monitors where resolution doesn't really matter (one 1080p and one or two lower resolutions)
    Enthusiast = 120Hz monitor (obviously 1080p+) or multiple monitors with at least 1080p on all of them.
    At least imo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    Advanced = 60Hz monitor @ 1080p at least, or multiple monitors where resolution doesn't really matter (one 1080p and one or two lower resolutions)
    Enthusiast = 120Hz monitor (obviously 1080p+) or multiple monitors with at least 1080p on all of them.
    At least imo
    My thoughts exactly. I want to make a clear distinction between enthusiast and advanced, as most people seem to confuse the two.

I may go ahead with it, but it's true that the odds of people bothering to read it is slim to none:/

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The idea sounds good in theory but if my moderating time has taught me anything is that majority of the people posting a new thread would not take the time to read your guide. We may end up linking to it in a post but the average user doesn't have a clue what bottlenecking means nor would they understand model numbers without any background information. Essentially you would be making up a parts list comparable to any of the sample build guides we've created but doing a straight model comparison.

Feel free to create your guide just know that it may be in vain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    The idea sounds good in theory but if my moderating time has taught me anything is that majority of the people posting a new thread would not take the time to read your guide. We may end up linking to it in a post but the average user doesn't have a clue what bottlenecking means nor would they understand model numbers without any background information. Essentially you would be making up a parts list comparable to any of the sample build guides we've created but doing a straight model comparison.

Feel free to create your guide just know that it may be in vain.
    It'd be like the guides I used to make for games. So everything linked to relevant benchmarks+places to buy etc.

I'll go ahead with it but at a slow pace, more of a time sink then anything.

What has the monitor to do with bottle necking?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    What has the monitor to do with bottle necking?
    If you've got a 1gb edition card and running 3 21" monitors, you've created a bottle neck.