Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanthal View Post
    Hunters wont be using melee weapons anymore

---------- Post added 2011-10-22 at 08:29 PM ----------

i think they would go fist weapon before staff because they could include rogues as well as warriors (str version of course)
    Thats the reason why we won't get it. Rogues just had a legendary so there won't be a new one that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Thudin View Post
    It will be rather a polearm or staff so Hunters and Feral druids will also benefit from it.
    Having a hard time reading? Hunters wont be able to use staves, polearms or any other melee weapons anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranov View Post
    I mean, how shiny can you make what are effectively fancy brass knuckles?
    Mounting Vengeance, Face Breaker, ICC fists, claw of the black drake, the bladefist, s7 fists, s9 fists, hyjal fists, phoenix claws...
    the list goes on. Most fists look fancier than many swords, bows or staves. Also they scream for a set usually.

Also blizz stated monks will be able to use axes and fists, which are usually never caster weapons. If the tanking spec will utilize staves, we can expect the dps tree to be dw. And why would blizz give them axes/fists to use if they never used them?

Blizz has learned alot over the years. I doubt they'll start a new class at this point and go the vanilla warrior route with "herp-de-derp warriors can weild everything even staves and and daggers".
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    Another set of onehanders right away seems unlikely. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something different the next time, like a legendary shield usable by both tanks and healers. Aside from Tarecgosa (which is a "sorry we deleted the only legendary you could use") and Shadowmourne (which was a "sorry that you can't get Frostmourne"), every legendary has been something new. A sword, a twohanded hammer, a caster staff, a set of matching onehanders, a bow, a healing mace. Unless there's any exceptional reason for them to "reuse" a legendary (as with Tarecgosa and Shadowmourne), I think they'd prefer to do something new.
    It's because of this that I am betting on either a tank shield or an agi staff. And also because they've been getting hammered by a lot of "TANK LEGENDARY PLEASE" requests lately.

---------- Post added 2011-10-23 at 06:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Omanley View Post
    Mounting Vengeance, Face Breaker, ICC fists, claw of the black drake, the bladefist, s7 fists, s9 fists, hyjal fists, phoenix claws...
    the list goes on. Most fists look fancier than many swords, bows or staves. Also they scream for a set usually.

Also blizz stated monks will be able to use axes and fists, which are usually never caster weapons. If the tanking spec will utilize staves, we can expect the dps tree to be dw. And why would blizz give them axes/fists to use if they never used them?

Blizz has learned alot over the years. I doubt they'll start a new class at this point and go the vanilla warrior route with "herp-de-derp warriors can weild everything even staves and and daggers".
    I am pretty sure they said it right out of their mouths on the panel that the DPS tree will be dual, the way Fury is. It just hasn't been officially notated, so it's possible that could change.

As far as weapons though, I'm more annoyed that Monks can wield Swords, than anything else. This just gives them more reason to drop Agi Swords and go "Oh, sorry Shaman, but... you're not civilized enough."
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2011-10-23 at 11:32 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like how they seemed to be putting the pressure on the fact that Monks mainly uses fist weapons for dps, this gives me at least a hope for a legendary somewhere in the next expansion, or the one after. ^^

I'm fine with axes, I just don't feel cool when I can't see my weapons hanging from my hip/back.

Blizz doesn't make a lot of fist weapons because they have to put extra time in to reverse the model for the off-hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Applesaus View Post
    I'm fine with axes, I just don't feel cool when I can't see my weapons hanging from my hip/back.

Blizz doesn't make a lot of fist weapons because they have to put extra time in to reverse the model for the off-hand.
    I still find it absolutely hilarious that the Blizzard dev team has yet to figure out how to simply reverse a weapon model when it's equipped in the off-hand. Shouldn't that be one of the most basic capabilities of an art team? Mirroring?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I still find it absolutely hilarious that the Blizzard dev team has yet to figure out how to simply reverse a weapon model when it's equipped in the off-hand. Shouldn't that be one of the most basic capabilities of an art team? Mirroring?
    Obviously it's not so easy if they haven't done it.
    || Yuuzu - 85 Draenei Enh Shaman || Soulu - 85 Worgen Arms Warrior ||
    || Revii - 85 Draenei Blood DK || Convivia of <Bacchanalia> of Durotan US ||

The river flows outside of town/ Away from dirt, away from crowds/
    And if I could follow it to the sea/ I'd wash the sweat right off of me/
    So break my legs and weigh me down/ Throw me in, but I won't drown/
    I'll float away, go down the stream/ The river leads outside this city.

Million Dead - Carthagio Est Delenda

And make it aligned properly for every single race and class, and make the swing animations appropriate again for every single race and class, and code everything to work while using abilities, and make sure that specific actions from an environment doesn't break the animation, and then implement the item as a boss drop.

Sure, flipping is easy...

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not QUITE that simple, since one of the issues is animations; fists are more prone to odd clipping issues because they're wrapped around the character's hand rather than sticking out of it. And there's different animations depending on the hand.

So it makes for a bit of extra testing and the like, so given the choice between a new axe or a new fist, they tend to go with the axe, just because it's easier.

It's not that they can't do it, it's that there's a slight amount of extra work for very minimal benefit. Also, so far as I know the engine doesn't auto-mirror anything, which is why fists are usually MH/OH rather than One-hand; they need that separate model for the engine to work. They COULD overhaul the engine to display the model mirrored in the other hand, but again, we're talking extra work for very minimal benefit. It's not that it's impossible, or even hard, it's that it requires resources spent that could be spent elsewhere to greater benefit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimeir View Post
    And make it aligned properly for every single race and class, and make the swing animations appropriate again for every single race and class, and code everything to work while using abilities, and make sure that specific actions from an environment doesn't break the animation, and then implement the item as a boss drop.

Sure, flipping is easy...
    You act like that would actually be difficult to do. The only reason they haven't done is because they don't want to do the work required.

If by "minimal benefit" you mean "suddenly nobody has to worry about finding the specific OH version of a Fist weapon drop, and suddenly Fist Weapons aren't such a bad thing to put into boss drops" then I don't see where "minimal" comes in. The art team would suddenly get to make Fist weapons whenever they feel like it instead of feeling obligated to put in Axes. Fist weapon models have been some of the most amazing over the years.

You act like that would actually be difficult to do. The only reason they haven't done is because they don't want to do the work required.
    Yes, because you know exactly how much effort needs to go into it, right? I'd say the multi-billion dollar company game developers have just a biiiiit better idea than you.

Also, Fist Weapons are ugly. Full stop.
    || Yuuzu - 85 Draenei Enh Shaman || Soulu - 85 Worgen Arms Warrior ||
    || Revii - 85 Draenei Blood DK || Convivia of <Bacchanalia> of Durotan US ||

The river flows outside of town/ Away from dirt, away from crowds/
    And if I could follow it to the sea/ I'd wash the sweat right off of me/
    So break my legs and weigh me down/ Throw me in, but I won't drown/
    I'll float away, go down the stream/ The river leads outside this city.

Million Dead - Carthagio Est Delenda

Totally possible. Hoping the "other" one is a tank legendary at least though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, because you know exactly how much effort needs to go into it, right? I'd say the multi-billion dollar company game developers have just a biiiiit better idea than you.

Also, Fist Weapons are ugly. Full stop.
    Hyjal trash fists, the TK fists that looked like Phoenix claws, Greed and Pride. There's others that I haven't bothered to look into, but there's been TONS of great Fist weapons out there.

I also never claimed I knew exactly what would be required, but that doesn't change the fact that they don't want to do the work required when it would only have positive effects on the game by keeping it polished instead of making it feel half-assed. Perspective is EVERYTHING when you're trying to present a game as quality over quantity. And Blizzard has always made the claim that they focus on quality, when they have little details like this cropping up that they simple wave their hand at saying "Sorry, but we don't see a reason to do it."
    That's not what a team that cares about quality does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because other stuff they could work on seems more important and noteworthy. It's not that they're lazy, it's that there's tons of other stuff to work on. If I had to pick between "more Fist-type weapons and code that better supports them" and "improved character models" (to pick a topic that came up over Blizzcon), I know where I want the character/item art teams working. And it's not on Fist weapons.

In a vacuum, this wouldn't be a big deal. But there's a veritable crapton of things higher on the list of priorities than Fist weapons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never called them lazy. Stop getting on your soapbox. =\

For a moderator that loves to bash on people on these forums for using incorrect semantics with their posts, you're sure putting words in my mouth.

Actually, after you adjusted the pivot, it's one action is 3DS Max to mirror the object around specific axis. It would be hard if character models were asymmetrical, but they aren't, so the weapon for left had is just a mirrored version of right hand weapon.

And I don't think they're concerned with a little model clipping, it happens all the times, especially with mounts.
    Last edited by Against the Modern World; 2011-10-24 at 04:38 PM.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

Rogues would have 2 pairs in quick succession if it were fist weapons, I could see it being an agi staff for ferals and monks, don't think theres ever been one

10+ Year Old Account
    I never called them lazy. Stop getting on your soapbox. =\

For a moderator that loves to bash on people on these forums for using incorrect semantics with their posts, you're sure putting words in my mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum
    It sure sounded like you were trying to call them lazy, there. Though I'll allow that maybe I read too much into it in a way you didn't intend.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyka View Post
    I'm thinking maybe, but you never know it could be an Agi Staff, in which case hunters/monks will have all the fun
    Except by then, hunters won't be using melee weapons anymore, so no.