ATI Radeon X700 and Shader Model 3.0

I read somewhere that video cards with 256 mb of memory support shader model 3.0, but that doesn't seem to be the case with mine. Is it just because this video card is out dated and possible shader model 3.0 wasn't released at the time the video card was?
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    The day I play anything entitled 'Boi' is the day I relinquish my sanity.
    I'm Dyslexic, so deal with it.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    the X700 cards are DX9, Shader model 2.0b.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Memory size has nothing to do with GPU complexity, except very loosely in that you won't find a GeForce2 card with more than 64MiB RAM or a Radeon HD 6950 with less than a GiB.
    Super casual.

Video memory size largely depends on the age of the technology. The further you go back in video card tech, the lower the video memory size. It wasn't until the mid-2000s when video cards started coming out with 768MB or higher, and that was pretty rare and reserved for only the highest-end video cards. A lot has changed since then.

Also, Radeon cards didn't start supporting Shader Model 3.0 until they became compatible with DirectX 9c, which started at the X1300 models, and even then they weren't fully compatible. The X700 only supports DirectX 9b
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-10-23 at 02:25 AM.