Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Just because the ability will be called "Blinding Shield" doesn't mean it has to require shields to be equipped. Priests have "Powerword: Shield" yet they cannot equip shields...
    Uhm its called "Powerword: Shield" because they shield ppl with their bubbles

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marinos View Post
    Uhm its called "Powerword: Shield" because they shield ppl with their bubbles
    And it could be called "Blinding Shield" because it's like Sacred Shield only instead of protecting you it blinds people all around you, so what was your point?
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

AetherMcLoud, I wouldnt continue on with the hopeful thinking that Blizzard would have the good sense to make an ability that each spec could make good use of. The blinding shield they intended to put in the game for Cata required a shield equipped; they are incredibly stubborn about denying paladins anything that would make them more competitive in pvp

Anything that has made paladins more of a force to be reckoned with in pvp environments get nerfed: old school reckoning, old seal of command, blessing of freedom (making it visually obvious and time nerf), lack of resilience on pvp gear compared to every other class set in BC, toned down divine storm, removed instant flash of lights from art of war.
    Last edited by Celebhil; 2011-10-24 at 01:56 PM.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post
    You're in the same boat as a warrior having to use a shield for spellreflect.
    I think the main issue is...Ret hasn't exactly got any decent abilities since TBCs AW.

Yes...I'm counting Rupert.

EJL

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    I think the main issue is...Ret hasn't exactly got any decent abilities since TBCs AW.

EJL
    He has a name now? Aww, now I feel like a jerk
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    "This is not set in stone but Blinding Shield is currently the paladin level 87 ability."

Not set in stone... so I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.
    Wise move. They said spirit link (as in link two tanks together) was going to be the shaman 83, and it got canned at the very start of Beta.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    Wise move. They said spirit link (as in link two tanks together) was going to be the shaman 83, and it got canned at the very start of Beta.
    And then they just made it a totem and the best raid cooldown in the game.. your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Handsylton View Post
    And then they just made it a totem and the best raid cooldown in the game.. your point?
    Correction: Best mitigation cooldown is still Power Word: Barrier. Best Raid Survival cooldown is still Tranquility, until 4.3, then Divine Hymn blows it the hell out of the water.

But back ontopic of Spirit Link totem's actual implementation: That it still doesn't perform as advertised, and took 5 months AFTER the game went live to even have an ability with the same name.

If anything, Priest's upcoming Vow of Unity is closer to Spirit Link than the actual Spirit Link Totem, even if it only links the target to the Priest (but given current toolkits, it suits a Holy Priest much more than a Discipline Priest, which is hilarious)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Correction: Best mitigation cooldown is still Power Word: Barrier. Best Raid Survival cooldown is still Tranquility, until 4.3, then Divine Hymn blows it the hell out of the water.

But back ontopic of Spirit Link totem's actual implementation: That it still doesn't perform as advertised, and took 5 months AFTER the game went live to even have an ability with the same name.

If anything, Priest's upcoming Vow of Unity is closer to Spirit Link than the actual Spirit Link Totem, even if it only links the target to the Priest (but given current toolkits, it suits a Holy Priest much more than a Discipline Priest, which is hilarious)
    Highly debatable. Spirit Link might as well read "10% less damage taken, and anyone who otherwise might die is healed for X% of their health" It's basically a save death mechanic on the entire raid, and increases healing efficiency during it's duration by an immeasurable amount.

10+ Year Old Account
    Highly debatable. Spirit Link might as well read "10% less damage taken, and anyone who otherwise might die is healed for X% of their health" It's basically a save death mechanic on the entire raid, and increases healing efficiency during it's duration by an immeasurable amount.
    *Cough*... Paladin Forums people!

Back on topic... Blinding Shield will most probably never make it live.

By an immeasurable amount. But on something that hits as hard as Electrocute, it doesn't mitigate hardly anything, its "save" is pretty limited, and the healing that's going out still needs to be done, unlike an actual output cooldown.

As I said though, the Spirit Link that was talked about for the level 83 Shaman ability (and hinted at for Wrath too, might I add) was never seen at all.

And the Priest ability to heal secondary targets ended up being Beacon of Light for Paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post

EJL
    Mine's named Raphael.

I'm locking this for going off topic.

Try to keep it on topic, okay? - Malthanis
    Last edited by Malthanis; 2011-10-25 at 12:44 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    +1 for 2H+shield ret paladin.
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleo View Post
    +1 for 2H+shield ret paladin.
    No offense, but this is as silly as TG for Fury. Not to mention the balancing issues that would be part of this (much like trying to balance SMF and TG to the same DPS output).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnpreston View Post
    *Cough*... Paladin Forums people!

Back on topic... Blinding Shield will most probably never make it live.
    I really doubt an AoE CC of that nature would make it live. The only comparable one I saw was Mass Entanglement for Druids, and you still retain control of your character with that. I wouldn't mind it as a replacement for Holy Wrath as an AoE damage ability, though.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    I really doubt an AoE CC of that nature would make it live. The only comparable one I saw was Mass Entanglement for Druids, and you still retain control of your character with that. I wouldn't mind it as a replacement for Holy Wrath as an AoE damage ability, though.
    I'd have considered Hungering Cold to be of the same nature but it looks like they're removing that in Mists. At the very least, Blinding Shield wouldn't be for a duration as long as that and certainly wouldn't be as punishing (since it's a frontal cone as opposed to a full circle AoE).

I've been excited since the Q&A because of this Cataclysm beta move returning. It's one more step towards being as awesome as Eadric the Pure (or as cheesy, I loved his voiceovers personally). (:

Am I the only one to remember that it takes 1.5 seconds to move 8 yards away? That cast time has to go.

o god not blinding shield
    I dont play in a hardcore no-lifer guild, but in a 2 days a week "hardcore" mythic guild.

Give me the ability to use a two-hander in 1 hand + shield and I will come back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Am I the only one to remember that it takes 1.5 seconds to move 8 yards away? That cast time has to go.
    But average human reaction time is about .5 seconds, so they've got 1 second to move that distance. Not to mention haste will be a factor as well.

I'm also fairly certain that they mentioned the ability to reduce/eliminate the cast-time during the Cataclysm beta, so that would probably make a return.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!