Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Small watercooling questions

That'ssss a nice watercooler you have there...
    Shame if something was to happen to it...

Okay. So here's a few inquiries based on a likely acquisition: The Corsair H100.

1. Where should I fit it? I hadn't thought of that before. I'm thinking of above the top 200mm fan, as I can easily access that from outside. Easy to feed to too. I think.
    2. This will leave me with an H80 cooler. I'm wondering if it's possible to juryrig this onto my GTX 470. Would I gain anything with this? It'd be like a universal waterblock I suppose, so it wouldn't cover the RAM chips or mosfet of the graphics card. Is this consequential?

I know the complete watercooling kits aren't optimal in any way, but I'm about to have a surplus of them with how it's looking like it'll turn out. Thoughts?

H100 is supposed to be placed on top have it there in my haf x couldnt get it above my fans tho.
    Last edited by imtehrogue; 2011-10-22 at 11:20 PM.

It'll mostly fit fine here too. The problem arises if I do accomplish juryrigging the H80 cooler onto my graphics card as well, in which case I will have to fit the H100 semi-externally. :'3

In retrospect I now realize this is impossible, given I can't remove the tubing of the H100 nor is feeding the tubing through where I'm thinking possible. I'll probably mount it inside, and instead mount the 200mm on the outside of the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remove the top 200mm fan and rig the h100 up to the top, I wouldn't put an h80 on your GPU, but otherwise, mount it to the back

Turns out that the mounting of the H80 may possibly, completely by accident, match the heatsink of the graphics card. If/when I get the H100 I'll just doublecheck by seeing if the existing screws match up with the backplate belonging to the H100 set. (The sets are largely identical.)

Don't want to crack open the graphics card in any way before I have anything physically in my hands that very clearly indicates it after all.

But yeah, you've got a pretty good idea of what I'm thinking of doing when mounting the H100.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-10-23 at 12:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    using an h80 for your GPU seems like a very ghetto way of doing it, i would suggest a small kit from EK and a GPU block, then use the H100 on your cpu, that way you have the ability to expand your GPU waterloop in the future,

there is also the fact that GPU's are very large compared to CPU's and the H80 might not have the surface area to cover the whole chip, to give you an example, each of the fermi chips on my 590's are roughly 2"x2" nearly twice the size of a CPU

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    VRAM and VRM cooling on a card is just as important as cooling the core. Overheating VRAM is often what causes funky texture effects, and leaving VRM without any cooling is pretty genocidal too. Overheating core leads to it clocking down. Overheating VRAM causes it to burn out. Overheating VRM causes it to start melting.

Nah, just kidding, but not having any cooling on them is still genocidal.
    you forgot to add what happens when your VRM's meltdown, some kid on three mile island let his VRM's meltdown once

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    VRAM and VRM cooling on a card is just as important as cooling the core.
    Right'o. Project dropped right there then.

---------- Post added 2011-10-23 at 10:07 AM ----------

In fact, I think I'm going to skip the H100 entirely for the moment and see how much watercooling will cost me first.
    Might as well get it done good.

techbay.no sell kits beginning around the 1k mark, but they're composed of OEM'd pieces, so keeping track of actual producers is tricky.

That said, the kit is worth 1.4k according to their own prices (ie: putting all the items in basket individually).

As interested in watercooling as I'm getting I think I need to hold my horses a bit though. At least till the turn of the month when I get some more cash in.

---------- Post added 2011-10-23 at 02:46 PM ----------

This kit looks more interesting though I confess.

Kicking this back to life to ask a fairly silly, but necessary question: How big a radiator should I be looking towards stuffing in my rig?
    Will just the Phobya 200 do? Or is it necessary with more? (I'm still planning, optimally, to have two single 140s and a 200.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the hardware you are intending to cool, no? :P Just to clarify, didn't you plan to buy high end Nvidia card when the next generation arrives? And are you going to do GPU only loop with H100 or is that out of the question now?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Kicking this back to life to ask a fairly silly, but necessary question: How big a radiator should I be looking towards stuffing in my rig?
    Will just the Phobya 200 do? Or is it necessary with more? (I'm still planning, optimally, to have two single 140s and a 200.
    With overclocking in mind, a dual 120 (ie, 240mm) should do for a single GPU and single CPU setup, single loop. Preferrably a thick one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Depends on the hardware you are intending to cool, no? :P Just to clarify, didn't you plan to buy high end Nvidia card when the next generation arrives? And are you going to do GPU only loop with H100 or is that out of the question now?
    Not interested in the H100, no. ^^;
    I also don't think an nVidia card is on the list of parts incoming. I'll see how much the HD 7970 costs compared to its performance here.

I'm mostly thinking single graphics card and a CPU.
    Thankfully, it turns out my GTX 470 at least has a reference design, so I believe I can find full-cover waterblock without metric fucktons of hassle.
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    With overclocking in mind, a dual 120 (ie, 240mm) should do for a single GPU and single CPU setup, single loop. Preferrably a thick one.
    Wait, is that GPU and CPU on one loop, or either GPU or CPU?
    Just doublechecking I follow what you're saying. o.o

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Wait, is that GPU and CPU on one loop, or either GPU or CPU?
    Just doublechecking I follow what you're saying. o.o
    One loop altogether yes. Unless I'm misunderstanding where you're coming from here? I assumed you meant more custom-ish than closed loop in the revival query. There are, however, combined GPU and CPU closed loop, though
    (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133398 for example. I wouldn't recommend this, however)

I wouldn't touch a closed GPU+CPU waterloop.
    That'd be such a big waste of money for terrifyingly little gain. >.<

15+ Year Old Account
    With the watercooling knowledge I have, the little research I've done I've seen 220 radiator for a single cpu/ gpu been thrown around a lot. But since the 2500k isn't the most power hungry cpu around, I think you'd do with 320 Don't know how tetris came to 220 being enough conclusion but obviously, take my words with a grain of salt .

Well, it's this indecisiveness that really further confuses me. :'3

I hear people talking about needing a mere 120 per waterblock, while someone else was telling me 200+120 would be pushing it, etc...

Well, it's nice to get options out there. I was mostly hoping/looking to find out if a "mere" 120+200 would be sufficient.

Thinking a loop like: Reservoir -> Pump -> CPU -> 200 rad -> GPU -> 120 rad -> 120 rad -> reservoir.

15+ Year Old Account
    You are going to have tubes everywhere like that, though. It's generally better to just go for the shortest route and have the radiators in parallel like:

Reservoir -> Pump -> CPU -> GPU -> Radiator 1 -> Radiator 2 -> Radiator X

Longer distance between the parts means more flow restriction and you are better in the end to just go for the easiest / shortest installation.

It's actually awesome to hear that, Synthaxx. I was worried if I'm going to run in trouble with two 220 rads (420 in total) with my planned CPU+2xGPUs setup. Now I'm thinking if I could actually do with a single 120 for CPU and 220 for the GPUs (320 in total).

220 rad though? Don't you mean 240 or 280? o.o /puzzled

And while it sounds like a distance, the amount of tube shouldn't really change much.