Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
LastLast
  1. #241
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Exactly this. Kung-Fu panda was a very succesfull movie and it is still very fresh in peoples minds. No wonder people associate Pandarens with Po from Kung-Fu panda. That said, I know that Pandarens have been around much longer than the Kung-Fu panda movies and that they have absolutely nothing to do with eachother. But alot of people will still associate them with Po. As another one in this thread wrote: If they were going to do this, they should have done it back in TBC. That would properly still have made an upraw, but at least it wouldn't have been associated with Kung-Fu Panda.
    What is so bd about people thinking about a film, when they see something? I mean, we have been dealing with this all the time (me at least^^). "I play a fantasy game" "Oh, like in Lord of the Rings (Harry Potter...whichever was more popular at the time)?" "Ah... no, not exactly, there's also some science fiction in it" "Oh, I see, like in Star Trek (or Star Wars, see above)".... ahh yea, whatever.
    Some people even laugh at WoW in general, because there was a South Park episode about it. They don't know WoW, only South Park, but it is in their mind, so they think about it, when they hear "WoW".
    Most of my friends who don't play WoW, don't play because it's too cartoony style. They think it's childish. Not because of Pandaren, because of the style per se.
    One of my friends laughed his butt off, when he did the quest to cleanse Teldrassil, because he said he felt like "Sailor Moon".

    People will always think of a thing they know, when they see something similar. But that doesn't make the point more valid, nor should it prevent anyone from having fun with it.
    'These are the signs of a king honour-broke: Pride coming first over all, tradeing the necks and the backs of his folk, that he alone might stand tall. Giving himself to desires that are base, tyrannous, cunning and cruel. Bring him down, set someone else in his place, such men are not fit to rule.'
    - Oathbreakers, Mercedes Lackey

  2. #242
    Mechagnome kojinshugi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Rarity View Post
    Honestly, it all boils down to this Pandas + Martial Arts = Kung Fu Panda. Anything/anyone that says otherwise will be met with scorn, sadly. I can see how people draw similarities, but I honestly don't see how that makes it a bad thing that they are similar...
    I've never seen Kung Fu Panda, and I'd forgotten the movie existed until you all started making comparisons.

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-26 at 12:30 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by beefchorizo View Post
    lets face it! KFP ruined the image of pandas for the "serious" or "mature" players in the wow community.
    I can't believe I just read that sentence.

    THEY'RE FUCKING PANDAS WHO DO KUNG FU. Of course they're not "serious" or "mature".

    People who expect all entertainment to be mature are the furthest thing from mature.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

  3. #243


    I'm not sure, but I THINK this is the exact tree the old druid form was modeled after. I don't have the specific dates of when the picture was taken, just when it was blogged. However, you can see the resemblances, right:

    1. Stand upright.
    2. Have wood.
    3. Have leaves.

    I mean, undeniably so, one of the models MUST be modeled after one of the other models exactly; I mean, anyone making a tree-like anything couldn't possibly follow this out-of-the-ordinary model for a tree...

    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2011-10-26 at 12:37 PM.

  4. #244
    Pandaren Monk ZeroWashu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,964
    Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    I've never seen Kung Fu Panda, and I'd forgotten the movie existed until you all started making comparisons.

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-26 at 12:30 PM ----------



    I can't believe I just read that sentence.

    THEY'RE FUCKING PANDAS WHO DO KUNG FU. Of course they're not "serious" or "mature".

    People who expect all entertainment to be mature are the furthest thing from mature.
    Well obviously they should have been ninja turtles as those are old school which automatically makes them mature.

    I did a double take when I read his response too, its a panda that does martial arts, at no level is there any maturity in that.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

  5. #245
    Pit Lord alms1407's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,341
    Quote Originally Posted by kojinshugi View Post
    People who expect all entertainment to be mature are the furthest thing from mature.
    I'm just curious how is this so? How by having certain exceptions make you immature? (which is what you're implying)

    ~Signature made by Resentful~

  6. #246
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalay View Post
    What is so bd about people thinking about a film, when they see something? I mean, we have been dealing with this all the time (me at least^^). "I play a fantasy game" "Oh, like in Lord of the Rings (Harry Potter...whichever was more popular at the time)?" "Ah... no, not exactly, there's also some science fiction in it" "Oh, I see, like in Star Trek (or Star Wars, see above)".... ahh yea, whatever.
    Some people even laugh at WoW in general, because there was a South Park episode about it. They don't know WoW, only South Park, but it is in their mind, so they think about it, when they hear "WoW".
    Most of my friends who don't play WoW, don't play because it's too cartoony style. They think it's childish. Not because of Pandaren, because of the style per se.
    One of my friends laughed his butt off, when he did the quest to cleanse Teldrassil, because he said he felt like "Sailor Moon".

    People will always think of a thing they know, when they see something similar. But that doesn't make the point more valid, nor should it prevent anyone from having fun with it.
    I didn't say anything about it being bad did I? I was merely explaining why alot of people will think like this. And I do agree with you on what you are saying.
    Last edited by Belial; 2011-10-26 at 12:51 PM.

  7. #247
    Old God Arrowstormen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    10,164
    This is so true, Mists of Pandaria is a whole expansion that just YELLS Kung Fu Panda.

    I mean, Kung Fu Panda is the CREATOR of Kung Fu, we all know that. And Blizzard steals that?? The heck!

    And the whole theme is A... I mean, Kung Fu Panda looking stuff, do they have to rip off the zones too??

    And PANDAS! Big talking pandas was the idea of Kung Fu Panda, and the whole eating thing, Giant Pandas in Asia only began eating so much because China have taught their bears to be rip offs! Silly China, stealing our ideas once again!

    And Pandaren being in WCIII, pfffft, they had datamined their way to the Kung Fu Panda movie, those bastards! That is why they are so happy for food and bouncy and Kung Fu!

    Kung Fu Panda is unique and the creator of the Asian Culture in every way, and Mists of Pandaria is such a rip off that it hurts, Dreamworks should sue them, and get WoW locked, and make their OWN MMO, that will KILL EVERY OTHER MMO!





    If you did not notice, That was sarcastic. Kung Fu Panda ripped off Asia stuff, just like Pandaren did. Pandaren just did it first, but got published after in their expansion.
    Belief can become reality!

  8. #248
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    I didn't say anything about it being bad did I? I was merely explaining why alot of people will think like this. And I do agree with you on what you are saying.
    I remember playing random games on my computer (not even MMO's or multiplayer games) and an ignorant guy or girl walks in, looks at it, and asks, "Are you playing WoW?" I always thought that was funny, just as I think this "debate" is hilarious. It would have some merit if WoW was a supr srs game with unmalleable lore and a great deal of realism...but it's not. Hahahaha. Oh, you guys...

  9. #249
    Blizzard has been planning to add Pandaren since before BC. What do you expect them to do, scrap the concept completely? "Sorry guys, someone released a movie about a panda doing kung-fu. We can't use the Pandaren now."

    This makes about as much sense as the worgen/Twilight comparisons before Cata. That is, none at all.

  10. #250
    It has to be a rip-off of Kung-fu Panda. Because no Pandaren traits were thought of before that movie came out (except they were).

    Really this argument is ridiculous. There's one massive thing everyone seems to have overlooked, and it baffles me. Now pay attention here.

    I mean no disrespect by this, but in Western, especially American minds, if you ask someone to think about "Chinese things", pandas and martial arts are going to be fairly high on most people's lists. China is well-known for their pandas, and marial arts are generally associated with Asian cultures here in the West (and with names like karate, kung fu, tae kwon do, etc its easy to see). Also, and again I'm saying this generally, Asian cultures are proud of their martial arts traditions and China is certainly proud of their pandas.

    WORLD OF WARCRAFT AND KUNG FU PANDA ARE NOT THE ONLY TWO THINGS TO HAVE EVER MADE THIS CONNECTION. Good lord people, you're talking about two of the most well known aspects of Chinese culture that have been associated with the country forever and you're acting like either Blizzard stole the idea from a single movie, or the movie stole it from Blizzard. Are you serious?

    I did a quick look-up of pandas martial arts on google and got tons of stuff. Yes, first was Kung Fu Panda (obviously a popular recent movie would be first) and futher down some stuff about the new expansion, and mixed in there a lot of martial arts schools with references to pandas. I clicked on one, to tell them that they clearly stole their idea from the movie. Oh, wait, this school opened in 2002. Kung Fu Panda came out in 2008. It's almost like.... someone else... made... that connection...... ever....
    "What do you consider your greatest fault?"
    "Honesty."
    "I don't think honesty is a fault."
    "I don't care what you think."

  11. #251
    To me, the question so much is if MoP was inspired by KFP...

    ...the question is "So what if MoP is inspired by KFP?" I mean, does it really change anything if it was? Blizz hasn't been 100% totally original for a while now - and there's only so many ways you can do an asian theme with a light-hearted storyline. It wouldn't surprise me if they just said "ah, eff it!" and just based thegame off the movie because the game did that style so impressively well!

    And, lets face it, Blizzard is NOT above stealing movie ideas. Hell, look at Uldum and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

    ...hrm, on second thought about Uldum, I think I may have answered my own question. Damnit! >_<

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-26 at 02:23 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    <snip>
    WORLD OF WARCRAFT AND KUNG FU PANDA ARE NOT THE ONLY TWO THINGS TO HAVE EVER MADE THIS CONNECTION. Good lord people, you're talking about two of the most well known aspects of Chinese culture that have been associated with the country forever and you're acting like either Blizzard stole the idea from a single movie, or the movie stole it from Blizzard. Are you serious?
    You do realize that people are really not just arguing the Pandas, and are MORE arguing the entire expansion design (Pastel colored skylines, use of colorful primaries against pastels in architecture, whispy clouds against exxagerated architecture on mountains, ect.). Again, I'm not arguing the actual architecture design (that's just chinese) I'm arguing the color and overall style/theme was heavily inspired by KFP.

    My point is, you can take screenshots of the game without having any Pandaren in the shot, and STILL have the game look like Kung-Fu Panda.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  12. #252
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    You do realize that people are really not just arguing the Pandas, and are MORE arguing the entire expansion design (Pastel colored skylines, use of colorful primaries against pastels in architecture, whispy clouds against exxagerated architecture on mountains, ect.). Again, I'm not arguing the actual architecture design (that's just chinese) I'm arguing the color and overall style/theme was heavily inspired by KFP.

    My point is, you can take screenshots of the game without having any Pandaren in the shot, and STILL have the game look like Kung-Fu Panda.
    Congratz you can identify a Chinese cartoon style...

    Chinese art is exactly how you describe it.

    http://www.the-gallery-of-china.com/...ing-Mi6123.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s%27an_001.jpg
    http://ilearn-culture.com/wp-content...ing_200904.jpg
    http://library.thinkquest.org/23801/PAINTING.jpg

    Honestly it reminded me of mulan a lot more than kfp. Even the original dragon ball is more similar to mop in art style than kfp.
    It is inspired in Chinese culture and blizz's art team understandably took inspiration in Chinese art. Congratz on actually not getting that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oradraffe View Post
    MoP is not happening i can promise that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tric619 View Post
    Been playing since week 1 and still believe Mop is the next expac? >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Feyrzhuk View Post
    MoP will never be a WoW expansion. Feel free to flame and ridicule me should I be proven wrong.

  13. #253
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    You do realize that people are really not just arguing the Pandas, and are MORE arguing the entire expansion design (Pastel colored skylines, use of colorful primaries against pastels in architecture, whispy clouds against exxagerated architecture on mountains, ect.). Again, I'm not arguing the actual architecture design (that's just chinese) I'm arguing the color and overall style/theme was heavily inspired by KFP.

    My point is, you can take screenshots of the game without having any Pandaren in the shot, and STILL have the game look like Kung-Fu Panda.
    Again though my point applies. Does MoP look like Kung Fu Panda? You say yes, I say no. I see several strong similarities, but they are both drawing heavily from the same easily recognizeable source, so yeah. (Clarify: what I mean here is that I see thematic similarities, but I don't look at a screenshot of MoP and think "Oh, Kung Fu Panda", I look at both and think "Oh, Chinese inspired") You could just as easily say that MoP screenshots look like Mulan, or that Kung Fu Panda took some visual cues from same. Because they did. Because they are referencing the same thing. You made the point yourself about Uldum, with the obvious Raiders storyline and the whole Egyptian feel to the entire zone, architecturally and visually.

    I don't get why that's just as is, because it's referencing a well-known regional style and feel, but MoP HAS to be referencing Kung Fu Panda with no regard to the fact that they are BOTH drawing from the same inspiratinonal sources and a well-known style. And as for "Well the whole expansion shouldn't feel that way", well, we haven't seen the whole expansion yet, all the zones and areas of Pandaria and whatnot. Even so, how much of Northrend and the lore/storylines there are Norse/Viking themed? Except there wasn't a popular movie that came out about vikings around the same time, otherwise you could make the exact same argument that they stole from each other, again because they are drawing from the same source material.
    "What do you consider your greatest fault?"
    "Honesty."
    "I don't think honesty is a fault."
    "I don't care what you think."

  14. #254
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    To me, the question so much is if MoP was inspired by KFP...

    ...the question is "So what if MoP is inspired by KFP?" I mean, does it really change anything if it was? Blizz hasn't been 100% totally original for a while now - and there's only so many ways you can do an asian theme with a light-hearted storyline. It wouldn't surprise me if they just said "ah, eff it!" and just based thegame off the movie because the game did that style so impressively well!

    And, lets face it, Blizzard is NOT above stealing movie ideas. Hell, look at Uldum and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

    ...hrm, on second thought about Uldum, I think I may have answered my own question. Damnit! >_<

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-26 at 02:23 PM ----------



    You do realize that people are really not just arguing the Pandas, and are MORE arguing the entire expansion design (Pastel colored skylines, use of colorful primaries against pastels in architecture, whispy clouds against exxagerated architecture on mountains, ect.). Again, I'm not arguing the actual architecture design (that's just chinese) I'm arguing the color and overall style/theme was heavily inspired by KFP.

    My point is, you can take screenshots of the game without having any Pandaren in the shot, and STILL have the game look like Kung-Fu Panda.
    I see how you can see it this way, but to me it reminded me at once of Hero (of the many different colour themes and very bright colours this movie had) of House of Flying Daggers (one of the Jade Forest-pictures is almost 1:1 like the bamboo forest from that movie, where one of the biggest fights takes place) and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (with the snow capped mountains, the waterfalls and the houses built over the chinese bridges it even has a place like the brewery).

    So I still think it is a matter of viewpoint and what is more popular to a person. I watched Kung Fu Panda once. The only thing that reminded me of Kung Fu Panda is... well.. Pandaren being Panda-people. And actually it was the other way around, Kung Fu Panda reminded me of Pandaren, because that was the only relevant picture up to that point I had in my mind with walking/fighting Panda-people.^^
    To me all those other movies are much more popular and come to my mind very easy, when I see an Asia-inspired landscape.
    It is - as so very often the case - a matter of perception.
    'These are the signs of a king honour-broke: Pride coming first over all, tradeing the necks and the backs of his folk, that he alone might stand tall. Giving himself to desires that are base, tyrannous, cunning and cruel. Bring him down, set someone else in his place, such men are not fit to rule.'
    - Oathbreakers, Mercedes Lackey

  15. #255
    Epic! DissPanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Drinking some tea with our Pandaren friends
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    i think you are right, KFP stole from blizzard by making a pandaran cartoon movie.
    I think this is the right place for this

  16. #256
    Warcraft 3 having an Asian themed panda, and examples of martial arts pandas in Chinese history, do not give Blizzard carte blanche to make Kung Fu Panda the video game.

    I could write a story about a boy wizard, whose parents were killed by a dark wizard who must not be named, and grew up not knowing his past until he was taken to a magical school of wizardry where he and his friends learned to do magic and eventually saved the word from he who must not be named. I would obviously be accused of ripping off Harry Potter, but all I would have to do is point out that wizards exist in historical mythology and bring out a short story I wrote about a wizard in the 5th grade. Then my shameless rip off becomes "completely original".

  17. #257
    Dreadlord Oogzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    953
    Arguments to your post:

    1. Martial art stances are very similar for the most part. There are only a few that are extremely different from the others. Just watch anyone that does martial arts in a sports competition and you'll notice this.

    Also the temple coloring, you'll see those bright, spring colors for temples in just about any game that is placed in China. For instance, you can look at Okami (PS2/Wii), Mulan (Disney Movie) China also tends to use bright colors for their temples with Japan using them as well on a regular occasion. Hell, just look up "Chinese temples" in google and you'll find tons of brightly colored temples. The only similarity in those two pictures are: sun placement, there's a panda in the middle using a stance that's not even remotely the same and there's rocks in the pictures. That's it.


    2. Wowpedia.com for the majority of your stuff. Bouncy? Well, there's always some "junk" racial. It was meant to be funny, and it was.

    These tables bar our way.. ┬──┬ ┬──┬

    But the will of a templar is stronger! ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

  18. #258
    If anything, Kunf Fu Panda copied WoW's Pandaran. KFP came 6 years after WC3's expansion. The only thing KFP needed was to make Po a guy who makes his own beer and there we go.

    And All the races have similarities to culture references. Hell, I could say that the Orcs are MC Hammer-wanna-bes because they dance like MC hammer. Or I could say that the Blood Elves are Sephiroth wannaa bes because their hair style looks like a main villian from FF7. Yet they're also in.

    Are they making references to KFP? Yeah. Does it make it grounds for copyright infringement? No. Does it give you a reason to hate them? No, but people will do it anyway since they only look at things on face value instead of reading the info already handed to them from Blizzcon.

  19. #259


    People may find some consolation in this. At least he's badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Then the [MMORPG] genre started attracting more players. These players wanted more of a "game" and less of a "world" [...]

  20. #260
    Comparing Kung Fu Panda to Mists of Pandaria makes about as much sense to me as comparing Wrath of the Lich King to Der Ring des Nibelungen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •