Vanilla/TBC/WOTLK Raids and Gold Drop Rates

Hi all. A little while ago I was undecided on which class I was going to start my solo campaign with and decided on DK, at least for now. I have already started soloing old content, Maggy, Karazhan and 3 TK bosses for now. Getting gold doing these raids isn't my first goal but after spending time in these old raids having a little gold in return is nice. From what I did so far Maggy and Karazhan gold drop rates have dropped tremendously. TK bosses still drop 250 each which isn't so bad. Before I start on the other stuff I wanted to ask other soloers out there. From your own experiences which raids have the best payoffs? I am thinking about going for full TK, SSC, Naxx, OS, Gruul, Mount Hyjal, Black Temple next at the moment. If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate the comments. Thanks in advance.

As for my character I am doing these raids in DPS gear with blood spec. My gear isn't best I got around 370 ilvl atm but working on it. After I got a full set of DPS gear I will start working on tank gear. My char's armory link is below. I would also appreciate on any tips on the class itself it's my first DK.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...anotaro/simple

Thanks in advance!!!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm soloing MH as a feral bear, and it doesn't take that long, 250g per boss and 300g from archimonde is quite nice. Also not that the only thing I take damage from is Raz pretty much, but it's not much at all.

BT is not possible to solo, due to the first boss require you to have 2 people, same with RoS. Rest should be soloable. When you speak about it aswell, I might aswell solo SSC and TK aswell for more gold drops. ^^ (Maggy isn't good anymore btw, to low gold drop)

Thanks for the info. I think I will go for MH tonight, probably after I finish up on TK. Maggy and Karazhan really suck for boss drops now but Karazhan is still somewhat ok for what the trash drops. Greater planar essence goes for about 15g+ on my realm and arcane dust for about 3g so after disenchanting the greens I get and selling the trash I can get easily 300-500g from trash.

It'd be nice to take someone along for the ride but nobody gets any benefit from it, item wise, because of the vastly improved gear in WOTLK or Cata.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by selimthedream View Post
    Thanks for the info. I think I will go for MH tonight, probably after I finish up on TK. Maggy and Karazhan really suck for boss drops now but Karazhan is still somewhat ok for what the trash drops. Greater planar essence goes for about 15g+ on my realm and arcane dust for about 3g so after disenchanting the greens I get and selling the trash I can get easily 300-500g from trash.

It'd be nice to take someone along for the ride but nobody gets any benefit from it, item wise, because of the vastly improved gear in WOTLK or Cata.
    So have you heard about transmogrification?

Have you tried soling Firelands trash yet?

I have seen some youtube videos showing that it can be done, and the BoE epics that drop can net you a few K or more.

AQ20 gives a nice amount of gold compared to the time needed, thanks to the spellbooks which vendor for 10G each.
    AQ40 is also nice, but you need two players for the twins and cthun.
    MC is hardly worth to farm for gold, and for BWL you need two people, although it is still quite rewarding for the time invested.
    Kara, Gruul and Mag's gold drops have been nerfed to the ground.
    SSC and TE give a nice amount of gold, but to zerg the 2-4 millions hp per boss takes some time.
    For BT you need at least two people (with insane damag) or rather three for ros, still worth it gold-wise.
    Same applies for SWT.

You can solo some bosses in nax10, with two dmg-tanks you can clear the complete dungeon pretty easy, but they drop less gold than ssc/te bosses and it takes even longer to kill them. I haven't tried nax25, I guess it also should be doable (as feral I don't get any damage on some bosses in 10 player mode) and should reward more gold - but I fear I would fall to sleep trying this.
    Ulduar 10 is doable with another mate, but again the gold drop is rather meh, and PDK 10 is gold drop wise not worth it - not tried 25 man.

I'd say AQ20 with it's 3 day lockout reset is the best dungeon to farm gold, followed by TE and SSC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    So have you heard about transmogrification?
    Heard it using it to get my Paladin Tier 2 lookalite set. I got the helm, chest and gloves transmogrified so far other items are taking longer to get.

Thanks for the tip though I probably could get some twinkers and such to these raids with me so they can get items to transmogrify.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    Have you tried soling Firelands trash yet?

I have seen some youtube videos showing that it can be done, and the BoE epics that drop can net you a few K or more.
    I haven't tried it yet but will try it asap. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    AQ20 gives a nice amount of gold compared to the time needed, thanks to the spellbooks which vendor for 10G each.
    AQ40 is also nice, but you need two players for the twins and cthun.
    MC is hardly worth to farm for gold, and for BWL you need two people, although it is still quite rewarding for the time invested.
    Kara, Gruul and Mag's gold drops have been nerfed to the ground.
    SSC and TE give a nice amount of gold, but to zerg the 2-4 millions hp per boss takes some time.
    For BT you need at least two people (with insane damag) or rather three for ros, still worth it gold-wise.
    Same applies for SWT.

You can solo some bosses in nax10, with two dmg-tanks you can clear the complete dungeon pretty easy, but they drop less gold than ssc/te bosses and it takes even longer to kill them. I haven't tried nax25, I guess it also should be doable (as feral I don't get any damage on some bosses in 10 player mode) and should reward more gold - but I fear I would fall to sleep trying this.
    Ulduar 10 is doable with another mate, but again the gold drop is rather meh, and PDK 10 is gold drop wise not worth it - not tried 25 man.

I'd say AQ20 with it's 3 day lockout reset is the best dungeon to farm gold, followed by TE and SSC.
    I haven't tried AQ20 yet and will certainly work on it. Thanks for the tip!

---------- Post added 2011-12-30 at 08:22 PM ----------

I just did AQ20 and it seems like blizz nerfed the gold drops there too. Bosses dropped 25g, last boss 45g. But after selling the stuff I looted from bosses I got a total of 300g for the run which isn't bad considering it took about 20-30 min to finish. Not as good as before but still good and fast.

Gotta go out now but when I get back I will do AQ40, Mount Hyjal, finish TK, SSC and maybe some trash in firelands.

---------- Post added 2011-12-31 at 02:05 AM ----------

Instead of other dungeons I did Naxx10 for fun and I got around 1000 gold from loot for plague quarter + sapph + KT. It was quite easy I am sure I could have finished other ones but no time. From what I have tried so far most profitable old raid is TK atm especially when time/gold ratio is considered (didn't try SSC yet)