Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Elemental v. Enhance (4.3)

Hello MMO-champs,
    I have recently gotten an 85 shaman and am greatly enjoying him, I level'd as enhance then began PvE content as ele.
    Most recently I was wondering about 4.3 and upon asking some reputable shamans on my server they said I should roll enhance in the next patch. Since I am new to the class I was wondering if maybe you guys could help me choose. Please explain why also in your answers it really helps. TL;DR Plan to main shaman for PvE content, Zero PvP. Enchance or Ele? New to class, explain reasoning thoroughly. Thanks everyone!
    Signature by Elyaan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Witchdoktor View Post
    Hello MMO-champs,
    I have recently gotten an 85 shaman and am greatly enjoying him, I level'd as enhance then began PvE content as ele.
    Most recently I was wondering about 4.3 and upon asking some reputable shamans on my server they said I should roll enhance in the next patch. Since I am new to the class I was wondering if maybe you guys could help me choose. Please explain why also in your answers it really helps. TL;DR Plan to main shaman for PvE content, Zero PvP. Enchance or Ele? New to class, explain reasoning thoroughly. Thanks everyone!
    tl;dr one's a caster one's a melee.

Raid Standings Difference: Nil

Pick.
    mhm? mhm.

Quote Originally Posted by Paf View Post
    tl;dr one's a caster one's a melee.

Raid Standings Difference: Nil

Pick.
    so you don't have any constructive input aside from the obvious? not even a personal opinion? got it.

OT, it's tricky too say. Enhance is getting the most buffs overall. flame shock will be incredibly easy to spread compared to how it is now for enhance, lava lash is getting buffed a little, but on the flip side untalented wind shear is getting nerfed to the ground. elemental is getting buffed in aoe dps as well in the form of talented removal of chain lightning CD and yet another buff to EQ. but what it still comes down to is that one is melee and one is ranged, so with different encounter designs come different results. some fights enhance may be better, some ele may be better.

MY own biased opinion is to roll enh. Not only because I'm enhance but also I don't really like the caster feel. i've learned to like instant casts over cast bars, and the enh priority rotation i feel is more involved and more forgiving than the ele rotation, where you have to be careful with fulmination procs and flame shock debuffs and lava surge procs. that and enh is more engaging with 7 core buttons in the rotation as opposed to ele's 5.

If you choose Elemental, you'll be the worst DPS caster. If you choose Enhancement, you'll be the worst melee DPS. And even though you didn't mention this option, if you choose Resto you'll be the healer with worst HPS. (all this verifiable in raidbots).

Anyway, since you played both specs extensively, I guess you're pretty well suited to answer your own question. Ele is a caster with a somewhat rotation or cycle, whereas Enh feels much more chaotic and active.

These articles from wowinsider might give you some help: Elemental and Enhancement. Personally, I think Enh Orcs are the most amazing looking class/race in the game, specially while DPSing (windfury proccing, totems, FT, etc), but their crappy performance made me switch to Troll Elemental for the last couple patches. If 4.3 proves better for Enh, I'll definetly roll it.
    Last edited by Satori; 2011-10-24 at 04:49 AM.
    Cairne wanted to thank him again, to offer encouragement, praise for a task so successfully completed. For being able to bear such burdens. But Saurfang was an orc, not a blood elf, and lavish compliments and effusion would not be welcomed or wanted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    If you choose Elemental, you'll be the worst DPS caster. If you choose Enhancement, you'll be the worst melee DPS. And even though you didn't mention this option, if you choose Resto you'll be the healer with worst HPS. (all this verifiable in raidbots).

Anyway, since you played both specs extensively, I guess you're pretty well suited to answer your own question. Ele is a caster with a somewhat rotation or cycle, whereas Enh feels much more chaotic and active.

These articles from wowinsider might give you some help: Elemental and Enhancement. Personally, I think Enh Orcs are the most amazing looking class/race in the game, specially while DPS, but their crappy performance made me switch to Troll Elemental for the last couple patches. If 4.3 proves better for Enh, I'll definetly roll it.
    Yeah, I'd agree that Orcs and (male) Draenei have the best dual wielding animations in the game. Undead have the best unarmed/fist weapon animations, but they can't be Shammies so whatever.

I personally have a dwarf, though. I'm still put out my totems aren't little bitty kegs.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do not make such statements without a solid proof or numbers. Take a look at logs my guild made last week and you'll see what numbers can be pushed by Elemental.

worldoflogs.com/reports/9ckf41fiolpb9ec1

Can't post direct links yet, sorry.

Your personal guild and individual performance are irrelevant. Check raidbots, which compares the top parses on worldoflogs and measures them: http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/

(Also, I'm obviously talking about optimal specs for each class...I don't care if Ele shaman hits more than a Frost mage, because it's still far behind Arcane mages).
    Cairne wanted to thank him again, to offer encouragement, praise for a task so successfully completed. For being able to bear such burdens. But Saurfang was an orc, not a blood elf, and lavish compliments and effusion would not be welcomed or wanted.

Choose whichever you like, Elemental; or Enhancement. Do you like always having a filler spell to cast (LB) and always feel like you're doing something? Go Elemental; if you want a more relaxed style of play, where you hit the buttons when they light up, go Enhancement. Personally I'd recommend going Elemental, for the 10% SP buff; as we do not know how Viable Demo locks will be in 4.3. Every answer in here will be subjective of course. Elemental can top the charts, as can Enhancement; it all depends on group composition and you as a player.
    Druid | UI | Youtube
    R1 & 14x Glad PvPer
    Honestly US 2nd / Ally World 1st

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You should not take raidbots as the absolute truth.

The results it has are skewed by non-reported bugged logs (theres a known bug with WoW Combat Logs, resulting in double entries on some spells). There are several people with "top logs" with sub-par gear.
    The results are also skewed by the fact that there are more Mages, Shadow Priests and Warlocks with Dragonwrath than Elemental Shamans... Probably 100% of the top logs for other classes have Dragonwrath, but this is most likely not the case for Elemental, sadly.

Just play what you prefer, really. Personally I'd say Elemental is a little better, but then again we're getting a sweet whack of dat nerfbat in 4.3. from the looks of it.

Your personal guild and individual performance are irrelevant. Check raidbots, which compares the top parses on worldoflogs and measures them: http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/

(Also, I'm obviously talking about optimal specs for each class...I don't care if Ele shaman hits more than a Frost mage, because it's still far behind Arcane mages).
    If you actually look past the first page of RaidBots you'll see that Shamans aren't as behind as you want to make it seem. Take for example 10m Heroic Baleroc which is about as tank & spank as they come and a good indicator of pure dps output potential. Ele Shamans come in 3rd of the casters, beating out Shadow Priests & Boomkins.

Link: http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Baleroc/1...14/60/default/

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, its as simple as "What do you prefer playing?".

Do you like ranged or do you like melee?

Both are somewhat equal in DPS, both have a similar toolset, just one stands up the arse of the boss and one is 30 yards back.

It's strange how easily you dismiss something in its entirety, yet are quick to put 100% of your faith in another. And lets be honest, Raidbots shouldn't be looked at as an end-all/be-all. "Be smart about using this data in discussions of class balance. Don't just look at the overall charts and QQ on forums. The truth is usually more nuanced than what is shown here." ~Raidbots

Anyway, I prefer Elemental. I played Enhancement for 4.1, and I enjoyed it. But after switching to Elemental recently, I'm having a lot more fun. Don't let one person's opinion discourage you. Both speccs pull decent numbers. You may not be topping charts, but as long as you're not falling into a DPS issue, I don't see the problem. It's the same thing with people who are too obsessed with topping HPS meters. Unless people are dying to some form of healing issue, I don't care what your HPS is.

I will say this. I hate our current AoE rotation. It takes a long time to get going, if one of your FS targets die, it just pushes you back down on your ramp up time, and for how quick AoE phases come and go, it just really has no place. But of course, that wont matter in 4.3. EQ and/or CL spam is all you'll need.
    Last edited by PaintOnASign; 2011-10-24 at 07:26 AM.

I play both Ele and Enhance in my raid (situational, since sometimes we have no melee aside from tank). I don't PVP much, and when I do, I am usually the guy PVPers hate in that I queue in PVE gear (bite me *cough*, I still only have 2-3 deaths and do what I'm suppose to depending on the bg).

They are both really fun. Here is a quick pro/con list based on MY experience

Elemental
    Pro- Caster, can stand at range, far easier to stay outta fires. Dynamic rotation, with LvB procs and fulmination breaking up the monotony of a 3 button rotation (LB, LvB and FS refresh at standard intervals). If needed to throw an emergency healing rain (heavy grouped up AoE phases), it doesn't completely suck., If your off spec is resto you share gear!
    Con- If you raid with a resto shammy you are fighting over gear. Damage, pre 2pc T12, is low. Doesn't scale well with crit, since LvB is auto crit anyways and only clearcasting procs from crits *crosses fingers for maybe making a guarenteed fulmination charge on crits LB's*.

Enhance
    Pro- Rotation is very fun IMO. Damage output is really good. Defensive Cooldowns. Usually, once totems are down, you only refresh them, rarely out range your totems.
    Con- Shares armor with hunters, weapons with combat rogues. Agi mail gear is usually haste heavy and haste has almost no use for enhance. Rotation, while fun, can get hectic in remembering the priorities, especially when alot else is going on. Fire Elemental is useless except on extended need for AoE damage... and in 4.3, it will be even more useless, since Lava Lash will spread FS around. Earth Elemental near uselss, as it removes one of your better buff totems to use (Strength of the Earth, although, if you raid with a warrior and he is using battle shout, this isn't a loss at all).
    Last edited by tobiashunter; 2011-10-24 at 09:19 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiashunter View Post
    Doesn't scale well with crit, since LvB is auto crit anyways and nothing triggers from crits *crosses fingers for maybe making a guarenteed fulmination charge on crits*.
    Clearcasting triggers from Crits.

Deleted
    You should go for elemental, elemental works if you play with right class - warlock/holy paladin, warlock/disc priest, mage/disc priest. Enhacement doesn't work with anything besides affliction lock/resto druid. I don't think enhacement buff will change anything. So go for elemental if you've partners/friends that are those classes that I mentioned and wanting to play with you

Quote Originally Posted by Teslaspule View Post
    Oops, forgot about that. Still... it's just a mana saving tool. Nothing exciting, no reason to value crit any higher.
    Last edited by tobiashunter; 2011-10-24 at 09:15 AM. Reason: forgot quote.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiashunter View Post
    Oops, forgot about that. Still... it's just a mana saving tool. Nothing exciting, no reason to value crit any higher.
    and 10% extra damage

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=51470/elemental-oath

And none of that changes the fact that crit is the weak stat for Elemental.

On Topic: pick the flavour. Meters of both specs are around the middle of the pack.

To the OP.

I have been enhance ever since 2h was a talent.

I -love- it, so much.

Most fun class/spec/rotation in the game.

Trust me, and I guarantee you I won't be the only one thinking this.

Shaman now, shaman forever. <3
    U p H___~ Restoration // Enhancement since 07.

10+ Year Old Account
    ORLY?
    Raidbots, all parses, just ranged DPS. Elemental ahead of Hunters, and despite our terrible AoE which is being fixed in 4.3.
    Baleroc, just ranged DPS. No AoE component. Gee, we're at the freaking top.

Raidbots, all parses, just melee. Enhance 3rd from the top.

If you don't know why "top 100" is statistically irrelevant if not outright misleading, you should go read the 'how not to use stateofdps.com' post in our sticky compendium, because I go over the exact statistical math which explains why it's completely meaningless as a balance comparison. Hell, the guy who came up with Raidbots posted in that thread, since it started before Raidbots existed, and was in complete agreement that this was part of why he was creating the tool you're citing.