Poll: How much FPS do you prefer when playing games?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What kind of FPS do you prefer when playing games?

One of the main reasons why I quit RIFT and WoW at this point was because my fps was always near the 20s, even in the lowest settings possible to man, and I did literally almost everything in WoW (vertical sync options and such) and computer. Same reason why I didn't like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood so much, fps always felt below 30.

So question is pretty much the title, how much fps do you prefer?

Off-topic question: What kind of video card is needed to play games such as the upcoming gw2, crysis 2 in 60+ fps?

Thanks!

And yes, I know the grammar is bad .
    Last edited by Kickbuttmario; 2011-10-24 at 05:08 AM.

Personally, I prefer Quake III Arena. It's fast as hell and can improve your reaction like crazy.

Wait, what was the question?

Oh, I don't take anything less than 60 FPS. If my computer slips up even once, it's off to Newegg.
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

I voted 30-60. Though I run almost exclusively 60, but that is where I cap my FPS so I never run 60-120.

I could definitely live with 30 though.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankuri View Post

Oh, I don't take anything less than 60 FPS. If my computer slips up even once, it's off to Newegg.
    We think a lot alike.

10+ Year Old Account
    Supposedly our eyes can't see more than 60 fps or something like that so I have my settings to where 60 is the max (i forget if that's vertical sync or not) I'm a fan of 60 fps but it can drop to around 30 if i'm in crowded main cities and such.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankuri View Post

What should the question be when asking players for the "fps" they like to play with?

Oh shit..

Best thing to do is to stick with the refresh rate of your monitor. My graphic card can go higher than 60+fps but my monitor cant(60 Hz). It cause problems to have it out of sync (High fps compared to refresh rate). Also many wouldnt notice the difference in fps unless it is really low (some would of course!). That being said, I am greedy and the more the better for me^.^

Deleted
    30-60 is fine with me

I generally play with 30-50 FPS, don't really notice a difference after 60, so anymore isn't needed.

I can play as low as 30fps, but I'll sacrifice some graphics to get 60+ fps, especially if I'm playing any kind of competitive game. Missing frames has gotten me killed way too many times over the years : /

i dont usually notice a difference over 50-60, but it depends a lot on the game and quality settings.

For WoW, I've raided in the 10 fps zone (and still regularly topped DPS/DMG), but it was painful and required me to anticipate movement needs. (which in the longrun probably made me a more efficient raider).

10+ Year Old Account
    At least, 50. I don't think I ever played anything over 60 fps, so I don't how much better it is.

As much FPS as I can get. I used to raid at 7-8 fps on my old laptop, it was doable on heroic content, but definitely not as enjoyable as it could've been.

15+ Year Old Account
    moving to computers; bit more appropriate here =)
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    Supposedly our eyes can't see more than 60 fps or something like that so I have my settings to where 60 is the max (i forget if that's vertical sync or not) I'm a fan of 60 fps but it can drop to around 30 if i'm in crowded main cities and such.
    Eyes don't see in fps. If you even google "how many fps can the eye see" you'll get a billion articles saying exactly that.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the main reasons why I quit RIFT and WoW at this point was because my fps was always near the 20s, even in the lowest settings possible to man, and I did literally almost everything in WoW (vertical sync options and such) and computer. Same reason why I didn't like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood so much, fps always felt below 30.
    Really? I killed the lich king with 1 fps on minimum settings on my old computer (integrated intel videocard, 2gb ram, 2.1 GHz).
    Now playing with 60 fps on ultra computer and, honestly, the difference is really small, mostly aesthetics and lag free during heavy aoe moments.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Deleted
    Dont really need to worry about fps in wow the only time its low is when the servers lagging. normally on around 40-60 fps. Alrthough i do remmember being on 90fps in an arena and my gfx card is OLD

60 precisely, since that's my updatefrequency on my monitor. But since it's a 75Hz monitor if I lower the resolution, Imma gonna go ahead and vote 60-120.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as possible. under 30 FPS is a pain and I don't play if I can't get more than that. I usually aim for 60+. My monitor is 60hz so technically I can't get more than that but if I have an average FPS of 60 I'm gonna get spikes as low as 30 depending on the game, if I aim to have ~80FPS or so average the spikes will only drop me down to about 50-ish and that's not nearly as noticable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Eyes don't see in fps. If you even google "how many fps can the eye see" you'll get a billion articles saying exactly that.
    Despite his wording, he has the gist of it.

The human eye registers various frame rates (in video games) and, depending on how many fps are happening, alters the amount of flickers or stutters seen.

30fps is the average video game console setting because with motion blur, it smooths out the grey flicker points your eyes would notice. 60 fps is actually the point where, regardless of motion blur, the flicker point is unnoticeable. Now, if the frame rate were to dip below 60 or have objects move particularly faster than other things on the screen, then a flickering could occur, hence the use of motion blur OR a higher headroom for FPS. Having your game run at 90 fps for example, allows for collisions and speeds to be varied without a noticeable flickering. Anything over 60 fps is not actually needed, per say, but is useful for fast moving objects, the lack of motion blur or as a safety net for dipping frame rate so that it will not be visually obvious when it occurs.

All that beside, I played Transformers WfC when it was locked at 30fps. When I unlocked it to max FPS possible my mind was blown. The difference is huge.