The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

If you have a choice, 1920 x 1200 or 120Hz?

I'm trying to decide if its worth it to replace my monitor. Sure it works and its not bad. Doesn't have a direct HDMI connection but it does have DVI-D. Its a 24" widescreen HP monitor and has 5ms (Yeah there's some 2 and even 1ms monitors but in reality 5 miliseconds is hardly capable of human being to notice). The nice thing is that the resolution is the old 1920 x 1200. Now I know movies don't show anymore than 1080p but games can utilize that higher resolution. Now here's the other monitor I am considering:

Any brand 23.6-27" monitor. LED backlit or LCD is fine. No more than 5ms (2-3 seems typical these days). 1920 x 1080 (I can compromise if this monitor type is better) resolution. HDMI (kinda nice not having to use the ol' DVI-DVI cable that cost an arm and a leg). The most interesting thing of note is 120Hz.

My ultimate question is, will I notice more of a difference stepping down from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 or stepping up from 60Hz to 120Hz. Money isn't the issue so yeah you could say I should just stick with the HP 24" but if there is a difference and the 120Hz will make it look a bit better, i'll consider upgrading. Also is there a difference in visual quality between DVI-D and HDMI?
    "Quit rolling your fat, greasy, cheetos grubbing fingers all over the keyboard!" - Random Burning Crusade Raider circa 2007
    "...tinkering with hardware...more or less electric LEGO for masochists." - Partial quote from Joel Johnson of Kotaku.com
    1/11/06 N/A Ten Day Guest Pass Expired = Vanilla Veteran Proof! (Haters still gonna hate)
    Never forget, that you were warned about the Mists of Pandaria. YOU were WARNED! (10/21/11)

1920x1200 if you do things other than watching movie or gaming.
    If you don't, either way, but you likely seem to lean toward the 120Hz. I personally wouldn't feel the need to sidegrade (at best).

There is also no difference between DVI-D and HDMI, in terms of visual quality.

Deleted
    Both will yield a noticeable difference.

*1080 @ 120hz is superior in games for two reasons; a larger field of view (see more of the game) along with potentially smoother game behavior - particularly when making sharp turns in shooters. The latter benefit requires that your machine can deliver 120fps however or its completely lost, and the sooner can be acquired on a 1920x1200 monitor by just changing the resolution.

But for desktop use - the 120pixels will yield a noticeable loss of real estate. Nothing you can't get used to, but you'll find that you can't quite fit as many lines of text as before.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-10-24 at 01:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd stick to the one with higher resolution. 60 to 120 hz is extremely hard to notice unless you specifically look for the differences. With normal use you won't see a difference. You will however immediately see a difference with a lower resolution.

The thing you really should look for is what kind of panel the monitors have, if your old has a TN panel and the new an IPS or better then go for it, it'll be a massive difference in quality. If both are TN then don't bother really

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    The thing you really should look for is what kind of panel the monitors have, if your old has a TN panel and the new an IPS or better then go for it, it'll be a massive difference in quality. If both are TN then don't bother really
    There are no true 120Hz 3D-capable non-TN monitors readily availible to consumers, although there are several concept models.

But I'd agree on the notion of TN; it'd all be a side-grade image quality wise, even if fluency might be better with the 120Hz.