Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthoren View Post
    Wel I played it and it does PLAY very differently, and I'm just talking about mechanic wise. It is far more active then any mmo I've ever played now in terms of Dynamic events I can understand your point but we have to look at the game as a whole. Essentially it is a game where you can do dynamic events, Personal Story(more traditional quests) or just pvp to level up. they took out a considerable amount of grind to make the game much easier to just pick up and play. It also destroyed the traditional trinity system into a much more fluid and dynamic combat experience. Now imo because of all of the parts, I think it has a chance, a very small one, but enough to be the next WoW. Now I do not know if they will have millions playing or whatever but just with the quality in this game alone, it will be incredibly popular. Lets just hope all the spiteful WoW players go to TOR instead.....After watching all the MoP hate nonsense I doubt anyone would want them(no offense).
    I realize it plays differently, but again, I'm not sure that should be an area of concern. The fact is that the MMO framework is all there, but it's been improved upon, and this includes the combat. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but I'm pretty sure that many current MMO players would enjoy more involved, fluid combat. Not to mention I feel that GW2 has the potential to attract a wider audience to MMOs a hell of a lot more than WoW has based on combat alone (active vs. rotations/bar watching).

To address the desire to become "the next WoW": sure, WoW sales would be great for ArenaNet. However, that's not their immediate goal — sure, in time, they would love to build a player base that could compare to WoW's, but I think we'd all be a lot better off if fans for both GW2 and SW:TOR stopped talking about WoW killing. WoW will die on its own at some point... it's not going to last forever. Whether Guild Wars 2 contributes to that or not, most of us are confident that it will draw a respectable amount of players to the game, whether they be full-on players or players that might play a subscription MMO on the side.

This is totally lame, but if you're at all paying attention to primetime TV right now, it's like "The X Factor" vs. "American Idol" comparisons. I'll probably get laughed at for referencing these shows, but hey, the comparisons work. Don't expect an out of the gate hit like Simon Cowell did!

10+ Year Old Account
    I greatly welcome the changes ( which I like to think of trully as innovations as opposed to changes for the sake of change). As a long time MMO player ( pre trammel UO) I literally was not able to log into WOW for a month after CATA release without feeling like im starting a second shift at work ( I obviously unsubbed and am so sick of the "holy trinity" and raid mechanics/ having to administer the raid that I doubt any new xpac from wow would entice me to return as I know the CORE of the game remains unchanged.) From all im reading and seeing about GW2, I will not have this feeling with GW2.

On a side note, the holy trinity thing never really existed to the degree we see it in wow. In D&D games for example priests and mages had spells that allowed them to play as effective fighters and survive vs even dragons. This versatility is completely lacking in current MMO's but i believe GW2 is thankfully reviving this.

As other posters have mentioned.....whether by luck or planning, now is the perfect time as ive ever seen in the MMO market to unveil standard breaking innovations as there ever was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    As other posters have mentioned.....whether by luck or planning, now is the perfect time as ive ever seen in the MMO market to unveil standard breaking innovations as there ever was.
    What's interesting is that the leaked Blizzard product slate puts MoP's release in Q2 2012, which puts it right in GW2 launch territory. Although I believe GW2 will be successful whatever it's launch date, I suspect with the negative feedback MoP has already received, if GW2 beats MoP to market the results could be catastrophic for Blizzard.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they give a months difference between the release of both games it'll do ok.

MoP won't do as well as Cat'a did but GW2 is sub free. It's not in full competition. It's only going to be fighting for players time and not money. I think people are a little more forgiving with splitting their time between slacking off at there as opposed to here, than they are with splitting their money.
    Last edited by Nikvis; 2011-10-25 at 02:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Koshun, Balfire and Merendel

Thanks for the answers and videos. I'm glad to know my worries are unjustified. I actually had no idea that GW1 was that successful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikvis View Post
    As long as they give a months difference between the release of both games it'll do ok.
    I was actually daydreaming earlier today about what would happen if they launched on the same day. I think it would be great to see them "stand up" to Wow, although it's probably not the best idea from a business point of view. The best scenario would be to beat MoP out by at least a few weeks, to make the leveling process in MoP even more comparatively painful to draw players back to GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I was actually daydreaming earlier today about what would happen if they launched on the same day. I think it would be great to see them "stand up" to Wow, although it's probably not the best idea from a business point of view. The best scenario would be to beat MoP out by at least a few weeks, to make the leveling process in MoP even more comparatively painful to draw players back to GW2.
    Yeah, definitely. I know ArenaNet's all about "when it's ready" and I fully support them in that, but I hope they realize that MoP could really steal some of their thunder if they wait to release after MoP. I agree with you that GW2 will be successful no matter the launch date, but they could really do some damage by releasing before MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silveria View Post
    Yeah, definitely. I know ArenaNet's all about "when it's ready" and I fully support them in that, but I hope they realize that MoP could really steal some of their thunder if they wait to release after MoP. I agree with you that GW2 will be successful no matter the launch date, but they could really do some damage by releasing before MoP.
    If anything it will only hurt their initial sales, if the game is good people will pick it up after they hear people talking about it. It will be the same thing to Anet if they pick it up one day or 6 months after release, because they aren't losing a monthly sub.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    For those who don't know, WoW became successful by being the first MMORPG to do things right to appeal to a larger audience of people by being approachable and easy to understand. They did this by taking features from other MMOs (EQ and Ultima) and making them easier to understand and making them more appealing to a casual audience. They didn't change a lot, but what they did change was small enough to be familiar to old EQ and Ultima players, but different enough to appeal to a larger audience and overall be a better, funner game.
    WoW was familiar to UO players? I can agree that it was case with EQ, but not UO. I remember when I heard about whole "instancing" concept, I thought it was bad idea for a mmorpg to have such private areas. I have learned that instancing is part of genre and have it own bonuses, but in my opinion wow have taken it too far with whole end game instancing and zones phasing. GW2 is taking step to right direction by reducing how much it's instanced and focusing on the open world.

10+ Year Old Account
    For those who don't know, WoW became successful by being the first MMORPG to do things right to appeal to a larger audience of people by being approachable and easy to understand.
    You mean "by allowing you to faceroll PvE content and be carried on BGs", right?

WoW doesn't requires you to have the basic skills you expect from a player. While that is good for profit, that's terrible for the community. WoW is easy and addictive, that doesn't mean WoW is good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    You mean "by allowing you to faceroll PvE content and be carried on BGs", right?

WoW doesn't requires you to have the basic skills you expect from a player. While that is good for profit, that's terrible for the community. WoW is easy and addictive, that doesn't mean WoW is good.
    WoW was much more revolutionary when it launched than what it is now. Now WoW is seen as a beaten dead horse that only still has subscribers because of their past commitments and community. You're looking at that little quote as compared to now and not when WoW started. Where BGs didn't exist and end game PvE required a group of 40 people.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    WoW was much more revolutionary when it launched than what it is now. Now WoW is seen as a beaten dead horse that only still has subscribers because of their past commitments and community. You're looking at that little quote as compared to now and not when WoW started. Where BGs didn't exist and end game PvE required a group of 40 people.
    This. WoW was a very different beast in Vanilla than what it is now, and the competition back then didn't either implement what WoW did, or they did a poor job of it. Basically Blizzard gave people what people wanted.

I never realized how true that is. I quit WoW a few months before Wrath and then came back only to see my guildmates (and to play the expansion). Prior to Cataclysm, I quit again. No one I knew was left, and that's all that was holding me to WoW. Community is a huge part of an MMO, regardless of if everyone thinks everyone hates everyone else or not.

MMORPG gamers are used to certain things, things like grinding, gear conveyor belts, skinner psychology, and subscription fees. Which GW2 is said to have none of these.

For those who don't know, WoW became successful by being the first MMORPG to do things right to appeal to a larger audience of people by being approachable and easy to understand. They did this by taking features from other MMOs (EQ and Ultima) and making them easier to understand and making them more appealing to a casual audience. They didn't change a lot, but what they did change was small enough to be familiar to old EQ and Ultima players, but different enough to appeal to a larger audience and overall be a better, funner game.

Here is my great fear. Guild Wars 2 isn't doing this "Small change" They are attempting to revolutionize the entire genre in one fell swoop by taking out and replacing long lasting features like Raids, Quests, and the Trinity. It's very different from what WoW is, and is very different from any other MMO that's come out in a while. Will this attempt to change everything attract a large audience of players? Or doom it to underground popularity by being too different.

That's not to say all games that have attempted to change the formula a little like WoW has have always come out on top. But does the MMORPG community need tiny steps to accept innovation? Or is such a large leap in another direction for the MMORPG genre too much to take, to the point that it feels alien to common experiences.

Just to clarify, I look forward to the game and I know I'm posting this is a forum that is generally excited for the game, but honest opinions are a virtue.

TL;DR If you don't have the time to read, you don't have the time to comment, get out.
    People are basically creatures of habit. We get comfortable with he way things are, and minor changes tend to irritate us much more, than major ones. That's why approve of the major changes in MMO gameplay from GW2, and SWTOR. In particular the sidelining of the "trinity". I'd love to be a healer that could dps when needed, or a tank that didn't have to wholly rely on a dedicated healer.

It is a lot different but that is definitely a good thing. GW2 does have a lot of features that make it MMO-RPG as we define it. It has quests, hotkeys, stats, and character progression. Granted all of these are done very differently than WoW but something new and refreshing when it comes to this genre is more than welcomed. I don't think it will be too unfamiliar to hinder the game play experience in any serious way.

Deleted
    Combat doesn't even seem fast anyway and looks rather clunky with spell casting so Im going to pass plus not too fond of their weird lore and classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Joenano View Post
    Combat doesn't even seem fast anyway and looks rather clunky with spell casting so Im going to pass plus not too fond of their weird lore and classes.
    You know the combat system designed for Monks in WoW is strikingly similar to what Guild Wars 2 is doin... just sayin...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Its the red-headed step child of the mmo world.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    plus not too fond of their weird lore and classes.
    You No like Panda's Well I am gonna Hunt you down! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Um.... yeah...... ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    Until the game goes to beta or live it's all speculation. I avoid trailer hype and such and evaluate a game on my likes and dislikes.