Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Tom Chilton talks World PvP in Mists of Pandaria

I saw some threads whining that World PvP is being completely ignored in this expansion and this confirms that it isn't the case whatsoever. Tom Chilton seems to know what we as a player base want and it looks like the natural World PvP we saw in Vanilla will make a comeback, if not even more enhanced than Vanilla's World PvP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Ni4rv8XcM

*UPDATED*
    Just found another gem from Red Shirt Guy who questions World PvP in Mists of Pandaria, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbDtXuyBulU

Discuss.
    Last edited by mmoce99a209b2c; 2011-10-25 at 12:50 PM.

The game is becoming cute and adorable, didnt you hear? There is no such thing as "war" in warcraft anymore, duh.

OT: Ya, I cant wait to be honest... I didnt get a lot of playtime back in Vanilla so I really dont know what World PvP is

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Perished View Post
    The game is becoming cute and adorable, didnt you hear? There is no such thing as "war" in warcraft anymore, duh.

OT: Ya, I cant wait to be honest... I didnt get a lot of playtime back in Vanilla so I really dont know what World PvP is
    This is very promising from a World PvP perspective, the fact that we are going to be given incentives out in the world to go and do like Tom Chilton said will really revive the WORLD of Warcraft that has been missing since Vanilla/Tbc.

WoW needs More areas that make people want to play in , last real world pvp zone i remember playing in was the isle of quel'danas. The way the zone worked with factions opening npcs that people actually wanted worked brilliantly. If the firelands daily quests/npcs were faction wide working towards a goal then i would put good money on the area having a lot more natural world pvp than it has so far.

Come to think of it, the fact you couldn't fly probably did contribute to that, small compact zones that are of importance to everyone, with good gathering nodes - boom world pvp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    WoW needs More areas that make people want to play in , last real world pvp zone i remember playing in was the isle of quel'danas. The way the zone worked with factions opening npcs that people actually wanted worked brilliantly. If the firelands daily quests/npcs were faction wide working towards a goal then i would put good money on the area having a lot more natural world pvp than it has so far.

Come to think of it, the fact you couldn't fly probably did contribute to that, small compact zones that are of importance to everyone, with good gathering nodes - boom world pvp.
    Definately, flying mounts have had a negative impact on World PvP but it hasn't thrown the idea out of the window. Considering the fact that Blizzard are hoping to get people out into the world, be it with PvE reasons like raid bosses out in the world, collecting pets for the new battle system or PvP reasons like Tom Chilton said in the video we should be in for a treat in this expansion for end game.

I'm hoping he doesn't blow it (Chilton). There's only so much instigating my friends and I can do to start wpvp.. /pray
    || Ducivo ||

Tom Chilton, aka kalgan was the one responsible for killing the very first MMo ever made, ultima online. He is the main guy behind wow now. Guess what will happen.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefastus View Post
    Tom Chilton, aka kalgan was the one responsible for killing the very first MMo ever made, ultima online. He is the main guy behind wow now. Guess what will happen.
    He will have learned from his mistakes ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good to hear they are trying.

I still maintain that a large part of world pvp used to be based on farming hotspots. I needed that gold, so I fought for the best spots, like the ele plateau and Isle. The molten front just does not do it for me Gold is out of control and there is simply too much in game to ever make farming for gold worthwhile again. I know my friend just hit gold cap the other day and he does not really even try to make it.

---------- Post added 2011-10-24 at 01:43 PM ----------

Totally agree.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Tremble View Post
    He will have learned from his mistakes ?
    One can dream about it. Unfortunally thats as long it goes.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefastus View Post
    One can dream about it. Unfortunally thats as long it goes.
    A shame MMO Champion is full of negativity... Can't we cheer up for once ? this is extremely promising.

I have been a pvper in wow since BC (started playing in vanilla) and world pvp has always been my fav thing to do. I run a 400+ member pure pvp guild on Lightning hoof and with every expansion and patch its been gettng pushed to the wayside. I do enjoy rated battlegrounds but it seems to have taken over everything now. Not to mention flying mounts, people not needing to go out into the world as much...etc. I did a lot of world pvp on the isle, I mean like large scale 40 on 40 or more and I loved it! Now its limited to killing pvers trying to do dailies in the molten front, if im lucky to find them.

I do not currently plan on buying MoP due to the direction the game has been going for the last few expansions and the large push for appeal to the younger crowd, but I would be more likely to want to play it if this is the case.

this is extremely promising.
    The past is the best indicator of the future. Anyone who has been around long enough knows its not a question of will ActiBlizz let you down, but when and how bad will it be.

MOP wont be all that, at best the quality of cata will be maintained (lol). Look at the talents, some classes will have the potential to be so OP pvp will be broken form the start or blizz will gut the trees. Panda racial is a 3seconds incapacitate? lol ya that will last.....

Personally, ive been playing since vanilla and been through all the xpacks like many other people, and I am really starting to see the trend of Blizz over hyping expansions with imbalanced BS that they know will not play out well in the long run and will have to be changed to maintain even the slightest bit of pvp balance. People need to open their eyes and see its the same act over and over again.

Good news so far, while they're at it, balance the servers so that world pvp is more common.

Deleted
    If they brought back "natural world pvp", what about all the folks that play on the PvE servers? As a reminder, people that choose to play on a PvE server generally don't want to PvP. It wouldn't make much sense allocating many resources or centering an expansion around an aspect of the game that roughly half of the playerbase (yeah I pulled that data outta my ass but you get the point) completely ignore.

I guess the whole "faction war" jazz will mostly be either instanced, or very PvE oriented (see faction champs in ToC). I don't see them forcing players into killing each other to be able to enjoy a large part of the expansion, especially taking into account you can't even do that on PvE servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    as much as I would love to see World PvP return, theres just one problem with trying to bring that back...

Flying Mounts...

The reason World PvP was so successful and fun back in Vanilla was because YOU COULD NOT ESCAPE IT. If you got Ganked, you had to fight back and find a way to bring that asshole down, whether it be waiting on some freinds to help you, or asking general chat to help out, but the fact remains you could not run. And why was that fun? It was fun because that fucker who killed you ALSO couldnt run if he got his ass handed to him in round 2. meaning you could exact your revenge/justice/whatever you want to call it....

But Flying mounts killed World PvP, why? Because once that guy killed you ---> Out of combat -> fly up -> wait for you to respawn -> gank again. And in the meantime, you have no clue where his ass is, you cannot retaliate instantly, and you are at a complete disadvantage because he has the upper ground+distance that prevents you from reaching him. <----- you cannot have flying mounts if you wish to have fun, effective world PvP. It creates an imbalanced environment for the victim of the first blow being unable to retaliate, and creates an environment for griefing where the attacker will always have the upper hand, which as a result IS NOT world PvP.

Last time I checked We will be able to fly on Pandaria at level 90, Tom Chilton already failed at bringing back World PvP...
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    as much as I would love to see World PvP return, theres just one problem with trying to bring that back...

Flying Mounts...

The reason World PvP was so successful and fun back in Vanilla was because YOU COULD NOT ESCAPE IT. If you got Ganked, you had to fight back and find a way to bring that asshole down, whether it be waiting on some freinds to help you, or asking general chat to help out, but the fact remains you could not run. And why was that fun? It was fun because that fucker who killed you ALSO couldnt run if he got his ass handed to him in round 2. meaning you could exact your revenge/justice/whatever you want to call it....

But Flying mounts killed World PvP, why? Because once that guy killed you ---> Out of combat -> fly up -> wait for you to respawn -> gank again. And in the meantime, you have no clue where his ass is, you cannot retaliate instantly, and you are at a complete disadvantage because he has the upper ground+distance that prevents you from reaching him. <----- you cannot have flying mounts if you wish to have fun, effective world PvP. It creates an imbalanced environment for the victim of the first blow being unable to retaliate, and creates an environment for griefing where the attacker will always have the upper hand, which as a result IS NOT world PvP.

Last time I checked We will be able to fly on Pandaria at level 90, Tom Chilton already failed at bringing back World PvP...
    This is only scratching the surface, i'm sure details will emerge soon enough.

Deleted
    as long as you can fly out in the world, there cannot be world pvp.

as it is now, as soon as an enemy spots me, they jump on their dragon and fly off before i have a chance to get near to them, the no flying until lvl 90 will create a good amount of world pvp at the start of the expansion, but once people hit 90, even if they can manage to get people out into the world, they will be able to fly, so no world pvp again. they need to have a zone, that doesnt allow flying, but a zone that is going to have a lot of people going to it, make it a daily quest hub or the main farming zone or something. but unless they can get people into the world at lvl 90, there wont be any world pvp apart from the intial pvp at the begning at the questing zones.

---------- Post added 2011-10-24 at 09:13 PM ----------

flying mounts didnt necessarily make the game worse, it made world pvp worse, as its hard to start a fight, and then if you do, its very easy to escape, not saying they were what killed world pvp, but they definetaly helped kill it. its one thing i hated cataclysm for and i posted about it when cata was announced and blizzard announced we will be able to fly in cata zones instantly. leveling in cata i saw almost no pvp out in the world, if i was killing a mob and an enemy saw me, they just avoided me and killed different mobs, or if i saw an enemy and started running towards they just flew off. without flying mounts they cant get away so easy, they have the chance to be hit and dazed by mobs while escaping, or they will have to run past me and risk dying. i chose a pvp server for the world pvp, i rerolled on a pvp server in vanilla for it, and it would be so good to have the pvp back in the world.

Yeah... Isle of Quel'Danas... what was my favorite memory there... Oh yeah! Some bitch warlock putting a dot on me from range, I cast cleanse on myself, and the city guards beat me down for a 10% durability loss for "pvping". This happened every day, all day, without fail. Get jumped by 5 guys? NP! Run to the town for sanctuary if you can make it - nope the guards slaughter you and you take durability.

I loved open world PvP, but the Isle of Quel'Danas was just one of the biggest bullshit fests I have ever seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tremble View Post
    This is only scratching the surface, i'm sure details will emerge soon enough.
    It may be scratching the surface, or it may not. they never said they were going to get world pvp back in, but they plan on it. Saying "we are going to get X back into the game" is different than "we are planning on getting X back into the game." One directly implies that it is a goal of theirs and that they will work toward completeing that goal, while the other is implying that they intend on getting to that goal, but have no direct incentive to do so, and it more than likely will not be completed.

Chilton pretty much said they plan on doing world PvP, he never stated how or in what fashion they will implement it. So far, they listed nothing about PvP, so I will give them berth for now. But chances are nothing will change in regards to world pvp. Because they cant get over the concept flaw of having flying mounts in their Game impeding a balanced gameplay for both players engaging in a PvP scenario.

As far as I can see its business as usual. The only thing I am excited for is the Baselining of resilience, I hope it fixes the issue of skilless scrubs in gear.

---------- Post added 2011-10-24 at 08:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    Yeah... Isle of Quel'Danas... what was my favorite memory there... Oh yeah! Some bitch warlock putting a dot on me from range, I cast cleanse on myself, and the city guards beat me down for a 10% durability loss for "pvping". This happened every day, all day, without fail. Get jumped by 5 guys? NP! Run to the town for sanctuary if you can make it - nope the guards slaughter you and you take durability.

I loved open world PvP, but the Isle of Quel'Danas was just one of the biggest bullshit fests I have ever seen.
    This, Isle of Quel Danas was an elitist fest, it was not fun for people alone, it made the fights prefer range, and people would suffer for not being PvP geared or not playing the right class to fight with. Quel'Danas was not a good example of World PvP.

a good example would be being a lvl 60 character in t1/2 being ganked by a Grand marshal/High Warlord. The Ganker could kill you, but that was because you were off guard. Now if he wants to fuck with you, he will stay around, but he cant escape from you if he does that, meaning it will be an even fight if it persists. The Ganker cannot fly away and be out of range until you respawn, meaning you then have an advantage if you can use LoS or the element of Surprise respawning to get them.

Flying removed this element, your Ganker can just heal up/fly to a safe distance and wait for you to return, they could fly on top of a non-traversable hill, or stay just out of range for you to not be able to hit them. If you try to heal, their 300% movement speed will help them rush back into you and interrupt you. This becomes a harassment scenario, because one player now a constant upper hand, whereas the victim sits there unable to act because his opponent has a third variable of movement allowing him to elude a balanced scenario.

Flying puts a 3 planar opponent against a 2 planar one, one player can move on 3 axis, while one can only move on 2... do you see the problem with this?
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol