Dark Souls Question

Hey, couldn't seem to find a definitive thread on Dark Souls, so I figured I'd just put my question here, and hope that a helpful person could enlighten me. I just started the game a few days back, and I'm in Lower Undead Burg at the moment. It feels like this is a bit far along for me to be without having any clue what I'm doing. The weapon/armor stats confuse the living hell out of me, and I'm still in my starter armor wielding a short sword and a knight shield. Any chance someone would be willing to explain how the heck to read the stats on weapons/armor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello! I hope you will find some of this helpful:

The first thing you are going to want to do is go to equip your weapon, whichever it is press square(or xbox equiv) to open up a more detailed description of your weapons statistics. ParamBonus refers to how a specific stat will increase this weapons damage output. ReqParam refers to the level you need a certain stat to be at to use that weapon efficiently (kind of like stat reqs in diablo). Aux effects refers to the special damage this weapon does. The first symbol is for Bleeding effect which will cause an enemy to lose massive amounts of health once their bleed meter has reached full. The second is poison, same concept but they are poisoned once meter reaches full. The 2 circles refer to divine and chaotic powers. The rest is pretty much self explanitory on this screen, you will find later on you can enhance your wpns to do all sorts of neat stuff.

Same thing with your armor, go to equip it but hit square on the piece you would like to use to view a more in depth stat table. it shows you your defense against different attacks, your resistances to status ailments, and its durability and weight. "Poise" refers to the ability to recieve attacks without breaking form (so you can take heavier blows without getting knocked down) only really found on heavier armor.

If there's anything else you need to know after reading through all that stuff, I can probably answer most questions. I basically spent two days straight reading up on stuff.

Okay, thanks a ton. In class at the moment, but Ill read up on all those links in a few hours and get back with questions.
    *EDIT*
    Okay, I checked the links out, and that cleared things up a bunch. My main issue was that I didn't really understand the order in which the stats appeared for requirements to equip, since there didn't seem to be any labels. I also didn't understand the (Phys/Mag/Fire/Ltng) setup for damaging/defensive stats. Should be able to muck my way through this now. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Dargon; 2011-10-25 at 04:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello, I hope not too off topic, but I am having really bad trouble with the painted world section of the game, and I can't seem to find a way to get back. Do I need to kill the black dragon to get to the end of it? Any tips?? I have no arrows Is a vendor here?

Also should i make divine mace + 5 into occult mace+5 or divine mace +10. Which is better, wiki doesn't explain properly.

The way back is behind the boss. Fighting her is optional, if you talk to her she'll let you leave in peace.

If you want tips for the area, check out http://darksouls.wikidot.com/painted-world-of-ariamis

And I guess this thread could be used for general Dark Souls talk/questions, since it seems there aren't existing threads for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post
    Hello, I hope not too off topic, but I am having really bad trouble with the painted world section of the game, and I can't seem to find a way to get back. Do I need to kill the black dragon to get to the end of it? Any tips?? I have no arrows Is a vendor here?

Also should i make divine mace + 5 into occult mace+5 or divine mace +10. Which is better, wiki doesn't explain properly.
    I would recommend keeping a divine weapon for dealing with skeletons, (divine weapons deal extra damage to them and make them not respawn) and for your regular killing I'd recommend a lightning weapon. I must admit, I'm not too familiar with occult, but I don't think it offers any substantial advantages over divine or lightning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you, the link was very helpful

Also lightning weapons scale on intelligence no? I have a faith/vit/endurance build. So I'm happy with divine or occult weapons and doing ok so far.

The white bone has no conditions, you just go back to your last bonfire.

Bloodstains stay around your dead area indefinitely until you die again.

-------------------
    Dark Souls Progress
    Class: Thief SL 454 / Pyromancer SL 30
    PSN: Aeirou - Add for help with "Dark Souls" in the MSG

Just want to double check how two things work...

First, when you use the white bone item to return to the bonfire, to you keep all your souls/humanity? I'm thinking so since there would be any use for it otherwise with the dark symbol you have, but I'd rather be sure before using it in a hard-to-get-back-to spot.

Also, your last blood stain does stay around indefinitely aside from another death, no matter where you go right? I died in the gargoyal boss and decided I wanted to go back and get the drake sword, so I can't really go grab my souls/humanity first.

Quote Originally Posted by Malaya01 View Post
    Just want to double check how two things work...

First, when you use the white bone item to return to the bonfire, to you keep all your souls/humanity? I'm thinking so since there would be any use for it otherwise with the dark symbol you have, but I'd rather be sure before using it in a hard-to-get-back-to spot.

Also, your last blood stain does stay around indefinitely aside from another death, no matter where you go right? I died in the gargoyal boss and decided I wanted to go back and get the drake sword, so I can't really go grab my souls/humanity first.
    Yes to both of those. And the bloodstain will even stay if you turn the game off.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittany View Post
    Thank you, the link was very helpful

Also lightning weapons scale on intelligence no? I have a faith/vit/endurance build. So I'm happy with divine or occult weapons and doing ok so far.
    I was under the impression that lightning weapons didn't scale from anything, but will still pretty much do more damage until you get a high level scaling weapon and get your damage stats to 50+.