Warlocks and necromancer spells

i think blizz should take this opportunity (MoP xpac) to rename the spells that are kinda necromancer-ish
    Haunt, Drain soul, Soul shards, Soul siphon...they are all too much of something that we are not.
    unless they confirm to us that the warlock are a branch out of necromancers.....meaning that we share a niche with death knights :/
    Peace, the number 1 reason for War.
    Fight on my minions
    /petattack

Necromancy is death magic, namely the art of bringing back to life that which was dead.

Draining something of it's life or soul to make oneself more powerful or to kill the target is not necromancy and is a staple of the warlock concept.

Warlocks seek power, stealing it from other beings if necessary.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

I kind of agree. Aren't warlocks supposed to gain power from the twisting nether? i.e. Demons, i.e. Fel magic, i.e. Fire based spells? And not shadow spells? Shadow and Necromancy are totally different, just look at SPs. But why do Warlocks use Shadow anyway?

I sort of dislike how they made Unholy DKs a necromancer, but not. They could have expanded on that idea so much. A plate wearing shadow caster. That'd be neat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Necromancy is death magic, namely the art of bringing back to life that which was dead.

Draining something of it's life or soul to make oneself more powerful or to kill the target is not necromancy and is a staple of the warlock concept.

Warlocks seek power, stealing it from other beings if necessary.
    Actually, necromancy does involve stealing life in many fantasy settings. Some universes consider healing necromancy (I think d&d 3.5 did). I know this is wow, but yeah.

well shadow magic / dark magic kinda implies evil
    i have no probs with that, its just the names of the spells.
    draining the enemy of their life is a niche i love from the warlock class, but relating it to souls and evil spirits is necromancy

memory refresh

HAUNT
    You send a ghostly soul into the target, dealing ((($SP * 0.5577) * 1.25) + 922) Shadow damage and increasing all damage done by your Shadow damage-over-time effects on the target by 20% for 12 sec. When the Haunt spell ends or is dispelled, the soul returns to you, healing you for 100% of the damage it did to the target.

stuff like that
    Peace, the number 1 reason for War.
    Fight on my minions
    /petattack

Necromancy is magic that deals with the dead. Warlocks are all about torturing their foes to death, inflicting pain on their souls and destroying them from the inside out. They suck the life out of their foes, and use the strength ripped from others to continue on their path of Demonic Magics. There's nothing wrong with any of the spells listed because all of them make more sense on a Warlock than a Necromancer. You can't haunt the dead, but you can certainly haunt (a synonym for torment) the living. You can't drain the soul of a corpse, but you can drain a soul from a still living vessel. Necromancers would have no use for Soul Shards because they replace souls with magic in order to use the lifeless bodies as puppets. Warlocks won't even have Death Coil as a spell anymore in 5.0 and it's being renamed into Mortal Coil so that DK's can own the only Death Coil in-game. Deathknights are the only Necromancer class in the game, and Warlock's magics do not at all overlap with Deathknight's.
    Warlocks are what FDR was talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHordeGlory View Post
    RAGNAROS: WOULD YOU LIKE THAT TOASTED?!
    Customer: Um, no thanks.
    RAGNAROS: TOO BAD! TASTE THE FLAMES OF SULFURON!

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I kind of agree. Aren't warlocks supposed to gain power from the twisting nether? i.e. Demons, i.e. Fel magic, i.e. Fire based spells? And not shadow spells? Shadow and Necromancy are totally different, just look at SPs. But why do Warlocks use Shadow anyway?
    Affliction uses shadow more than the other 2 specs, destruction especially.
    Affliction is all about corrupting and draining the target.
    Destruction is about unleashing the fiery apocalypse.
    Demonology a little bit of both, but the primary focus is on your ability to command the demon you bent to your will after sucking it out of the twisted nether.

There is a short scene in the TBC opening cinematic where a Blood Elf female drains the energies from a Mana worm, while she is draining its magic to sate her lust for magic which the Sunwell used to feed her with, the scene is always how I viewed an Affliction warlock. Draining away his foes to strength himself, or to drain it of their knowledge, since a warlocks 2 main goals are knowledge and power, and a deep hatred on mages, ok the 3 main goals of a warlock are knowledge power and hatred of mages.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Necromatic (is that a word?) magic in wow is derived directly from fel magics and demons. The Nathrezim were the first necromancers and they are demons, and the origins of modern necromancy in azeroth were discovered by orc warlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    the 3 main goals of a warlock are knowledge power and hatred of mages.
    Accursed Mages!

The stars aren't right yet......but soon......soon....
    Warlocks are what FDR was talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHordeGlory View Post
    RAGNAROS: WOULD YOU LIKE THAT TOASTED?!
    Customer: Um, no thanks.
    RAGNAROS: TOO BAD! TASTE THE FLAMES OF SULFURON!