How good melee shaman are at competitive dps at firelands etc?

Hi, I've dusted shammy at lvl 70 from tbc days, I'm thinking to start play it, but would love to ask how good melee shammy standing at todays raids is it good dps or buffs only? Does 10/25 guilds need them at all? Thank you for any answers

Assuming there's no "social responsibility" to bring a player's enhancement shaman, most guilds will pass on bringing them into the raid. But this isn't an enhancement shaman thing but rather an issue with the shaman class in general - all three of their specs can be replaced by classes who can do their job better.

nothing like a good ole Enhancement shaman.

If you play well and generally are a person people don't mind being around, it's always possible to find a raiding guild.

That goes for any class or spec, however.
    || Yuuzu - 85 Draenei Enh Shaman || Soulu - 85 Worgen Arms Warrior ||
    || Revii - 85 Draenei Blood DK || Convivia of <Bacchanalia> of Durotan US ||

The river flows outside of town/ Away from dirt, away from crowds/
    And if I could follow it to the sea/ I'd wash the sweat right off of me/
    So break my legs and weigh me down/ Throw me in, but I won't drown/
    I'll float away, go down the stream/ The river leads outside this city.

Million Dead - Carthagio Est Delenda

shamys r not all that good now days, sry,

Quote Originally Posted by galileoacosta View Post
    shamys r not all that good now days, sry,
    Raidbots disagrees with you. Both dps shaman specs are doing just fine. In fact, both of their AoE situations are improving in 4.3, making them better in the one place they were struggling.

well shammies no matter spec aint the top. but its very likely to get a raid spot. as of i now ive just been on HC ragnaros10 today with an ele shaman.

and this is our world of logs http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/112858/

I'm in a mix of 378/391 as enhancement right now, and I usually top my 10-man guilds DPS. My last Baelroc kill I held steady at 30k DPS. Now I'm not saying it's super good, but atleast it's not super bad :P.
    You will still get beat by equally geared/skilled hunters/warlocks/warriors/rogues/mages/priest etc, but the difference is minimal. If you like the feel of enhanc,ent, then go for it!

If you love the class, play it. Do your research and and put the effort in, and you will see good results.

Not bad, Not good. It's in the middle. Your average run of the mill dps. You're no arcane mage -but you're no destro lock either. IF you enjoy it play it.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    On Baelroc were fantastic

Overall we arent in a horrible place. Very middle of the pack. Average at everything except interrupting...which will be getting nerfed into oblivion.

AoE at the moment just forget it. Go get a drink or something while someone else does it.

The secret is to optimise your uptime. Any fight where there is lots of target switching like Shannox we fall behind quite quickly. If youre down stairs on Beth it can be a mixed bag. Upstairs make sure you get down and help on Drones asap to keep up the dps. Alysrazor and Ryholith arent really fights you should judge your DPS on, but we do ok there because we can Flame shock and get a few Lava Bursts/LBs off as she flies about. Domo...as long as you can find that sweet spot where you are behind him...but also soaking dmg youre golden and Rag...well...the adds really make you suffer.

Overall though your main issue is the stigma of playing a Shaman.
    Last edited by Murderdoll; 2011-10-25 at 06:52 AM.

Both Enhancer and Elemental with about equal gear (Enh a little worse) and skill:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/4...um/damageDone/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/k...um/damageDone/

As Enhancer you would probably not beat decently geared and played FOTM DPS, but you're far from being a liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    Average at everything except interrupting...which will be getting nerfed into oblivion.
    I'm a little behind reading PTR patchnotes, but the last I've read was no Wind Shear change at all for Shaman DPS (15s baseline CD, 5/10s reduce from Reverberation).
    Am I missing something?
    Last edited by ChrisKoe; 2011-10-25 at 07:40 AM.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKoe View Post

I'm a little behind reading PTR patchnotes, but the last I've read was no Wind Shear change at all for Shaman DPS (15s baseline CD, 5/10s reduce from Reverberation).
    Am I missing something?
    Yeah, Enhance does not take Reverberation.

Deleted
    Enhancement shamans are not as bad as everyone says it is. The problem is to play them right. Im a resto shaman in a 10man 6/7 hc guild with a enhancement OS (used to be my MS). Because we almost every time bring 3 healers to a raid, one of the healers has to go dps on 2healer fights. If its not Baleroc (where resto shamans own uo ) Its usually me cause my dps is high. I have a mix of 391/378/372/359 gear with no setbonuses that i picked up along the ways. Pretty much all the time i am 1st or second in dps always up there with a Shadow priest or a hunter for top dps. I beat my fellow melee with a large margin, Ret paladin, rogue and fury warrior. I know for a fact that all those classes are "supposed" to be better than an enhancement shaman, But i am fairly sure we are capable of the same dps or more. If you play your enhancement shaman as you should, the DPS is high. But if you are an average enhancement player, i believe you can see a big drop in the meters already. Its not hard to play it right if you just know what to do. Use ShockandAwe and read up on EXACTLY HOW to set it up and it will improve your dps. Or if you are really really good at keeping an eye on all your procs and stacks, that would work too :P

I believe the problem with the big guilds not taking a enhancement shammy, or any shammy for that matter, is the utility. Our AOE is crap (thank god they are fixing that) And we have no good slows, traps or anything like that (except maybe for thundershock but in that case Typhoon is just so much better).
    So DPS wise shammys have no problem, its the utility.
    Same goes for resto shammys. Its the most solid healing in game IMO. No problem at all keeping up in HPS. But we have no good CDs. Sure a totem, but no lifesaving Lay on Hands, no bubbles or painsuppressions or awesome aoeheals like Tranq. We lack utility.
    Im pretty sure that Blizzard are aware of this now and i am actually expecting a turnaround in 5.0. So just hang in there

Enh is ok, 4.3 will be a lot better because our AOE will get fixed. I think the biggest problem right now with enh is the ranged/melee story. Most raids prefer ranged. When people do like to pick melee it's quite often rogues (because they are best on the melee DPS side) or DK's for kiting and plate. Melee are getting a buff in 4.3 which should help. At the end of the day, we may not be the best but we can be competitive if you can play the class well, gem, reforge and enchant properly and know the fights. It may be a little tougher to get runs but if you get one and can prove your worth, you should be able to hold your place.

I did. Doesn't hurt. Elemental precision is yet another static damage increase that we don't really need.

edit: I rather take slightly rotation-changing talents instead of boring stuff. That's why I also play a frost DK with 2/2 improved Blood tap and 3/3 pestilence instead of a virulence-spec. Just feels better.

Edit again: I don't advice speccing out of EP, but I thought since I'll definitely spec out of it in 4.3, I could as well do it before.
    Last edited by Pope; 2011-10-25 at 10:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Dual Enh Specs or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranov View Post
    Dual Enh Specs or go home.
    I'd rather be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    I'd rather be useful.
    Funny, I wasn't aware being able to do the job they bring you for makes you not useful?