Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    PvP really isn't one of SWTOR's selling points, so probably best not to focus on it too much. It's OK, but nothing to be shouted about.

just because swtor focuses on singleplayer and storytelling more than other MMOs doesnt mean that everything else (ie endgame raiding and pvp) should be any worse. in fact they must not be any worse, except biowares plan is to sell a lot of games but lose subscriptions to WoW again after 6 months, which I doubt.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I'm not saying that if a company were to excel in one particular area of a game, that they couldn't make the rest just as good, but in SWTOR's case it's obvious that less focus and effort has gone into the PvP to the point that if you were to show PvP footage to someone undecided, they'd probably be pretty meh about it, but if you showed them the story/cinematics, they'd be more inclined to give it a try. So when I said it's probably best not to focus on the PvP, I was reffering to people trying to hype the game, not Bioware developing it.

I find endgame pvp about the only content I wish to do at lv 50, and I think the warzones in swtor sound great. Also Ilum, I'm hoping to get something like Quel'Danas, maybe even better. I definitely agree that there needs to be some sort of ranked pvp, but they're instituting that sometime after release so it's not a big deal that it's missing from launch. We won't be lv 50 anytime soon anyways. Simple 2v2 or 3v3 arena would be great, ranked arena would be even better. But that doesn't mean the best pvp items should come solely from arena or that all pvp needs to be balanced only with arena in mind. This mistake has already been made in wow and it's pretty m alienated all who dislike arena from pvp, to the detriment of all pvp content, and should not be made again.

Another great thing would be if they instituted spectating for arena matches or warzones (I'm looking at you huttball). How great would it be to say hang out at Hutta at the end of the day, spectate some huttball and bet on which team is going to win? It'd feel like just the sort of thing they'd pull! (Assuming they could do this without making the games all laggy.) I think swtor has a lot to offer pvpers since it's just starting out and they have all these possibilities to choose from when they start pushing out content patches.

MainTankasin - Consular/Inquisitor Tanking

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm rather sure that Bioware recently said there will not be mixed faction teams for the retail game.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice video apart from the music but I understand how crazy Youtube is with copyrighting so not too bad overall.

Also I'm with Trolls here, pretty sure they said that it wouldn't be mixed teams in retail only Repub v Repub, Emp v Empr, and of course Emp v Repub
    Krael, Sith Council of Untold Prophecy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    I'm rather sure that Bioware recently said there will not be mixed faction teams for the retail game.
    They did. Mixed teams was for a short period on beta just to see if it would work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have watched all your videos but this really, really gave me a headache. After the reading the comments here I thought to myself "oh come off it, please, the music can't be that bad!". I was so wrong.

Other than that, I liked it as I've liked your videos before.
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I'm not saying that if a company were to excel in one particular area of a game, that they couldn't make the rest just as good, but in SWTOR's case it's obvious that less focus and effort has gone into the PvP to the point that if you were to show PvP footage to someone undecided, they'd probably be pretty meh about it, but if you showed them the story/cinematics, they'd be more inclined to give it a try. So when I said it's probably best not to focus on the PvP, I was reffering to people trying to hype the game, not Bioware developing it.
    I see where you're coming from, but think it's more a person to person thing. Personally, I love the PvP in TOR. It looks more appealing to me than other games. The fact that they created their combat system with PvP in mind from the start tells me they are serious about making it a big (and workable) part of their game, regardless of the fact that competitive brackets won't be in for launch. If you area person who loves the story and loves PvP, it's something that might give the inclination to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarasthura View Post
    3 pvp zones does sound underwhelming. . I wish they had brought more at launch :/ Maybe the world pvp will get me my jollies for a while
    An initial 3 warzones at launch does seem underwhelming.But I think they are making up for it with certain elements to the pvp and what they plan on doing. Does the bolster system, in the smallest way, help the underwhelming feeling until more warzones are introduced? For those that don't know:If after a time the Warzone matchmaking system has not found a match of players of the same level range, then it will start up a ‘bolstered match’ where players of varying levels will have their stats bolstered to within 20% of each other. Therefore, player skill disparity withstanding, the lowest level player will be 80% as effective as the highest level player in the match.

or maybe this:However, one of the top things on our list for post launch is a rated Warzone system where players can form teams, earn team ratings, earn individual ratings, as well as participate in tournaments, etc.

or possibly this:A key contributor in ensuring this is the tanks’ Guard and Taunt abilities. Guard will redirect half of the damage through the Tank’s mitigation and avoidance. A taunted target will deliver less damage to everyone but the tauntee. Players will be able to easily visualize which Tanks are guarding and taunting, who their targets are, and when damage is deflected through clear animations and effects. This adds to the dynamics of a skirmish as players of varying skill levels can easily react to and be on their toes about who the real targets of opportunity are and when. Additionally, Tanks will be recognized and rewarded for how much damage they deflect in this fashion on Warzone scoreboards.

Zachyveng,Renegadepimp and Trollsbane, you are correct, the devs have said warzones are faction vs. faction except in the class of Huttball, which is entirely random:same faction vs same faction Warzones (like Hutball) help matches pop frequently and regularly.

None of this info is NDA breaking, all taken from an interview with devs on http://www.ripten.com/2011/09/16/bio...-old-republic/
    Last edited by Temeluchus; 2011-10-25 at 04:15 PM.

Compete with Cata? The mechanics alone on the tank class finally makes sense to me in PVP in SWTOR. I mean in WoW really? Here big dumb guy, you can hold this flag and run around and stuff. Oh and half your abilities are pretty much useless. WoWs pvp has fallen from a fun side attraction to some crazy experiment gone wrong in the labs of Blizz. I definitely do NOT want a copy of cata pvp in SWTOR. But tanks being able to control dps output in pvp? That sounds interesting. More involved then stun, burst, win. Stupid smoke bomb.....

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't get it. I don't really see all this hype for SWTOR...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz015 View Post
    If you've researched the game and feel that way, there's not much anyone can say to help you see it. That's ok. =) Though I will say it's one of those "need to play to understand" games.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz015 View Post
    This post is flamebait. But I'd advise you to check out the stickies and look through the information collected about the game. If you have or do and you still don't "see all the hype" then quite simply put, the game probably does not appeal to you. Not everyone is going to be a fan of TOR or want to play it and that is ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 or none of the new MMOs interest me one fucking bit. That's why you don't see me posting on their forums, official or a fansite. Because I don't care about them.

That's why I don't understand why some people who don't find SWTOR interesting at all and post "I don't care about this game". Makes no sense UNLESS you are here to troll or to flame which of course if against the forum rules. So, get the hell out.
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilim View Post
    GW2 or none of the new MMOs interest me one fucking bit. That's why you don't see me posting on their forums, official or a fansite. Because I don't care about them.

That's why I don't understand why some people who don't find SWTOR interesting at all and post "I don't care about this game". Makes no sense UNLESS you are here to troll or to flame which of course if against the forum rules. So, get the hell out.
    you do realize your post adds as much to the topic as the hater posts?

OT: I've yet to see something that draws me to really pvp often in sweater. Just like in rift, only a few bg's isn't really a lot. No competitive pvp means noone will actually take it serious. MMO devs should really start involving guilds in pvp more.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    you do realize your post adds as much to the topic as the hater posts?

OT: I've yet to see something that draws me to really pvp often in sweater. Just like in rift, only a few bg's isn't really a lot. No competitive pvp means noone will actually take it serious. MMO devs should really start involving guilds in pvp more.
    I don't get why you need a draw to PvP in a sweater. Myself, I prefer to PvP in a trenchcoat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vid is OK, but I need NDA lift for anything new. Keep the flashy text and techno to a minimum please. I may be speaking just for myself, but techno is like anti-music to me and just gives my brain pain. If copywrites are an issue, just go with classical music - Looneytune style.

About only 3 warzones; the quality is much more important than quantity. WoW has too many BGs now and imo only 3 or 4 are any fun. I like AB, Gil, TP, and EotS. I refuse to do random BGs because I loathe AV, WSG, Isle, and strand. 3 warzones is plenty if they are good.

One thing the NDA is really hurting is the pvp side. We all know what to expect from them story wise. They are hurting themselves by not letting people use more pvp footage and info. A lot of videos are old and really only give false impressions.
    I like sandwiches

eh, the pvp still doesn't look that great to me. i'd give it a try if it goes to a free trial at some point but right now it just doesn't look promising enough to warrant buying it
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

Given the NDA and how few assets there are our there right now to use - I think you did a pretty good job with the video.

I don't get the hate in the "only three warzones at release" comments. Three is plenty initially. In fact, if you considered WoW BG's there are only ~3 maps that the majority of players enjoy any way...and that's after > 6 years of development time.