Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Did Blizzard make Mists of Pandaria to lower their ESRB rating from Teen to Everyone?

This seems like a valid business move in my opinion. Restricting themselves in terms of age demographic can only lower sales. However, if they have a more appropriate tag then a larger amount of parents will let their kids play the game. From the viewpoint of a company looking to make a profit; it doesn't matter how old your consumers are as long as they fork out $$$.

The introduction of pandas, pokemon style game features, the removal of theorycrafting and talents, the nerf of dungeon content, removal of attunements, no more farming necesssary, more focus on the looks of your character(dress-up). All of this could symbolise a shift in business strategy.

If they know that they are unable to compete with GW2, SWTOR and RIFT in the typical 14+ 24+ 34+ 44+ etc age market, that consists of more serious, slightly nerdy, often male, NA/EU crowd. It would only make sense to switch your business model to focus on the untapped part of the market. Namely children younger than 14, women who find an appeal in cute animals and pets and the Asian market. Not that all people in these groups would prefer a panda game but it is an easier way to reach that demographic.

I applaud Blizzard if their research staff has found that this is an effective model to spur the growth of the game in terms of subscriptions. Nonetheless, I am not in this new demographic that they are marketing the game to. I'm not saying that I dislike or have a problem with MoP, it is just not the game for me.

how exactly is this going to make it a everyone game? just because of pandas? and its not like the rating ever stopped a 10 year old from crying to mummy and convincing her to buy this game...

EDIT: also they had plants vs zombies in cata, didnt see anyone complain about that
    Last edited by Bluey111; 2011-10-25 at 08:06 AM.

man just shutup already

No. Because they cant rate MoP lower than what Vanilla is because it still contains all the elements from that game.

Still includes Violence
    Still includes Alcohol
    Still includes half naked toons dancing for money

Also I see what you were trying to do, you were just not very successful.

AFaik those kinds of ratings aren't decided by the amount of cuteness present in the game however it is determined by the amount of gore/violence/sex/drugs/alcohol/foul language that are present.

No, Yes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Op has been bitching about this since the announcement, i think someone has a hard on for blizzard
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

I doubt it because there will still be blood, there will still be "strong languange" there will be violence, and so on. And if you are under 12 you will have big problems understanding what the fuck your supposed to do in WoW, and if you don't live in a native english country a 10 year old will pretty much be screwed.

And god knows we don't need more 10 year olds in this game, we already have a million 20 year olds acting like them, we don't need the real deal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    No. Because they cant rate MoP lower than what Vanilla is because it still contains all the elements from that game.

Still includes Violence
    Still includes Alcohol
    Still includes half naked toons dancing for money
    Couldn't alot of these features be removed over time? I mean it's better to transition slowly than overhaul the game at once because that could cause a mass exodus. It seems smarter business-wise to do it slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey111 View Post
    how exactly is this going to make it a everyone game? just because of pandas? and its not like the rating ever stopped a 10 year old from crying to mummy and convincing her to buy this game...
    Yeah I'm curious as well, there's still a ton of fighting, killing, and the like. I mean unless they remove everything that makes the game resemble a war torn realm and replace it with fluffy pink rabbits and kittens I don't see it going to an "E" rating, plus people lie about their age to signup to things all the time, changing the rating from "T" to "E" won't likely cause a major influx of players(it would help but I don't see it changing much).

10+ Year Old Account
    Gruyaka, please just stop.

Mists of Pandaria is going to be the next expansion, whether you like it or not. Yes it has adult themes. Actually, from watching BlizzCon, not only does it have physical violence it also has psychological tones to it.

Perhaps you should wait until it actually comes out before passing such harsh judgement or making such accusations up.

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    Couldn't alot of these features be removed over time? I mean it's better to transition slowly than overhaul the game at once because that could cause a mass exodus. It seems smarter business-wise to do it slowly.

Yea they are going to remove Alcohol, naming one of the Monk talent trees "Brewmaster" is just a ruse that we all fell for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    So the corpses and tortured people in the Undercity, the corpse explosions, Rotface, Festergut, Undead, Icecrown, Naxxramas and the manic suffering of Thaddaeus screaming to save him are suddenly a lower ESRB rating because of Pandas that you meet next year?
    A lot of that stuff isn't in the Chinese version of the game and that is the market they are trying to attract.
    It really isn't that hard to edit the game.

---------- Post added 2011-10-25 at 08:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Perhaps you should wait until it actually comes out before passing such harsh judgement or making such accusations up.
    What harsh accusations did I make? I said I APPLAUD Blizzard for changing their business model after the Cata subscriber loss. It's good business...

Deleted
    People on forums are pretty dumb, they've seen 2 min starting footage, and a trailer so far.. and you already flame the game, grow the fuck up and see that you cant judge a whole expansion, WICH IS IN ALPHASTAGE!!!!!!

ALPHA MEANS SHIT GOIN TO CHANGE, SHIT GOIN TO BE APPLIED SHIT IS GOIN TO BE REMOVED!!!

Same stuff happend to Battlefield 3 Beta "bohohoh its bad and buggy!"
    ITS A BETA!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you're conveniently ignoring that Mists of Pandaria is about all-out war: war between the Horde and Alliance, civil war amongst the Pandaren, war between the Pandaren and their ancient enemies, war between the Sha and...everyone else. Cuteness doesn't determine ratings; content does.

Deleted
    That would mean piece-by-piece removing almost every aspect of WotLK. They're not about to do that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeastRivin View Post
    I think you're conveniently ignoring that Mists of Pandaria is about all-out war: war between the Horde and Alliance, civil war amongst the Pandaren, war between the Pandaren and their ancient enemies, war between the Sha and...everyone else. Cuteness doesn't determine ratings; content does.
    Some Spiderman games have E 10+ ratings and they contain violence. Panda Men and Spider Men don't seem that far off each other imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaede View Post
    That would mean piece-by-piece removing almost every aspect of WotLK. They're not about to do that.
    People also said Pandas would never be introduced into the game.

T rating isn't restrictive at all. It's a recommendation, "underage" kids are still allowed to play.
    Correlation does not imply causation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some Spiderman games have E 10+ ratings and they contain violence. Panda Men and Spider Men don't seem that far off each other imo.
    I said war, not violence. And Spider-Man, while violent, does not use lethal force.

15+ Year Old Account
    No.

/10char

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pandaren is known for their alcohol. How do you remove that? I just don't know anymore who Blizzard is trying to please.