Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Why does Blizzard see Pandaren as the "Fat Panda" Race?

From old art about pandaren their bodies, where well... linear. Only in kung fu Panda do I think that all this chubbiness idea is arising. Now I seen some discussion on how people want females to look, I would say some of those are over the top. But for a male example and female can be something similar, instead of this fat blob they have become in art.
    Last edited by jayremy; 2011-10-25 at 06:31 PM. Reason: More detailed image

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pandaren would have been 10x cooler if they weren't so fat and cuddly. I am not talking blood elf skinny here but just a little for shape and tone you know?
    The true vanilla wow test is whether or not they miss Vanilla. If they do, they didn't play in Vanilla.

Deleted
    i don't know about you but i think i can remember pandaren brewmasters in Wc3 were rather chubby...

10+ Year Old Account
    What? Pandaren have always been husky, and I see this race more related in body type of the Tauren. Tauren females are only slightly slimmer than their male counterpart.

I have a pic I shopped up to show what I'd love to see: http://www.imagehosting.com/photo/pa...n?context=user

And yes, I am a female gamer.

Btw, Kung Fu Panda didn't invent chubbiness or chubby characters.

The original models of the Pandaren Brewmaster and it's split up forms all did have a gut. It's mainly based on the 'fat' looks of the real Panda. They could easily make them thinner. But then design wise you easily get issues with the head to body ratio as the head design would end up looking either to big for the body, or looking distorted narrow if adjusted for the thinner body. The image you linked the head looks to big for the body.
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who doesn't understand why pandaren are fat should go look at a panda. Pandas are fat.
    Anyone who doesn't understand how pandaren fit into WoW, should go kick a panda. Pandas are bears, they'll rip yer frickin leg off.

That being said, we've only seen one player model. It could very well be a placeholder/prototype version.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to see a sumo inspired body type. It fits with the asian theme as well as IRL pandas.

Deleted
    Wait till you get the new cooking recipes from Pandaria, that might give answers.
    Honestly, I'll be severely dissapointed, if I won't get the chance to buff my butt with "Pandarian duck" or "Sea noodles"

I'd like to see a bit more variety in body sizes for all races to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jayremy View Post
    From old art about pandaren their bodies, where well... linear. Only in kung fu Panda do I think that all this chubbiness idea is arising. Now I seen some discussion on how people want females to look, I would say some of those are over the top. But for a male example and female can be something similar, instead of this fat blob they have become in art.
    as i designer, chubby character are made to be more "casual" and "friendly" than thick one. Just like a character with big glossy eyes, like kids toys. Round shape are a common use for something that look cute or friendly, my guess is that why they make them round.

That panda in the OP just does not look right at all, pandas are chubby in nature so they are chubby in game.

Why?

Kung Fu Panda Wolrd Wide Gross: $631,744,560
    Kung Fu Panda 2 World Wide gross: $663,024,542

I'm not saying Blizzard stole the idea or anything like that, but Blizzard isn't stupid: fat pandas did $1.29 billion worth of business, you better bet they are looking at making their pandas fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Falkenburg View Post
    Why?

Kung Fu Panda Wolrd Wide Gross: $631,744,560
    Kung Fu Panda 2 World Wide gross: $663,024,542

I'm not saying Blizzard stole the idea or anything like that, but Blizzard isn't stupid: fat pandas did $1.29 billion worth of business, you better bet they are looking at making their pandas fat.
    Makes 0 sense, since Pandarens were fat before Kung Fu Panda. Come back with some logic buddy.

I think Pandas are "fat" IRL because they're vegetarian. Meaning they require extra large bellies to digest all that vegetable matter, which is not very calorie dense.

So I don't have a problem with Pandaren having a big belly. There are plenty of skinny races to choose from already.

There are plenty of skinny races to choose from already.
    This too, I want to be a fat man tanking while drunk with a staff. LEAVE ME ALONE.

Deleted
    That's the earliest pandaren concept, don't be surprised it has changed. Here's an early orc design, try and guess what's different now.

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    And yes, I am a female gamer.
    Why the hell would you need to point this out?
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

I'm hoping female Pandaren look like furry Blood Elves, and not a bunch of fatties.

Because pandas are fat. End argument?

Bloodsail Admiral Killmaim Deathbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    Why the hell would you need to point this out?
    BECAUSE US FEMALE GAMERS NEED TO BE RECOGNISED! GIVE ME YOUR GOLDS!

(Joke coming from a female gamer too!, Oh damn I've pointed it out!)

seriously, i think some of them are actually the ingame version of the Cookie Monster "OM NOM NOM GIVE ME MONIES I AM FEMALE!"