Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    High Overlord Mikayo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    164
    if I feel a FH is appropriate and I'm missing hp myself, I BH
    if I feel a FH is appropriate and I'm at 100%, I FH

    I'm sure it's not uncommon for significant portions of my BH to be OH - but I don't run oom and I do try to be smart about it.
    I know our holy priest and I definitely use both spells when appropriate and have learned to be less stingy as our gearscore/stats improved.
    Kyx | Odyssey of Mug'thol

  2. #22
    Flash Heal is the same for both specs: When you have nothing else in your toolkit, and the target still needs more HPS than Greater Heal spam can provide, you cast Flash Heal. The difference is this situation happens a lot less often for Disc than for Holy. PW:Shield covers most emergencies pretty well, and Penance provides that emergency throughput.

    Binding Heal is a great spell. I miss it all the time on my Druid. Whenever you and one other target needs heals, it is the best spell you can cast. It is even worth it as Holy to cast it on full damage phases to build up Serendipity for hasted POHs. But at any other time it is worse than Flash Heal.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
    Depends on how fast you react, I've done it plenty

    And no, they don't either die or live. Some people in my previous guild were "prone" to failing at the dance so I knew if they didn't get SOMETHING they would die, ie a heal saves them because I could predict that they'd get hit by another tick (1 WiF = ~50% of your HP unless you stand where circles cross and take 2 ticks at once)
    Yeah, I guess FH would work to save them from the next WiF. However, between two WiF, even a Renew or GH work equally as well.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by '[-Spiritus-
    If you are all alone in the world, I may agree. However, unless my target or myself is in danger of imminent death by being at at 70%, Either myself or my target is going to get healed up by incedentals like ground targets or hots or LoDs or CoHs or CHs or W/E anyways... so why not let my buddy's super efficient stuff do his job instead of dropping a significant, albeit efficient, chunk of mana on damage that would have been resolved in a few seconds anyways, and cast something equally or more efficient, but consuming far less mana in the process?
    /Picard facepalm

    1) While letting someone else do the healing instead and sitting on your thumbs in general is better for your mana, you need to pull your weight. Sooner or later you need to chuck heals out. Unless you picked nose picker in the raid role UI, of course.

    2) Binding Heal is the most efficient direct healing spell we have. If you have an opportunity to use it, you SHOULD. And it's more "super efficient" than any HoT any other healers does (Renew, Rejuv, Riptide, etc..).


    3) If mana is a serious issue at FL level gear, you're doing something very wrong.


    4) Overall, everyone's overheal should be considered in every heal you chuck out, but your argument seems to selectively only consider this for BH? ... o.O



    Your reasoning for not using BH is severely flawed. =/

  5. #25
    The Patient keRmis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by Themos View Post
    /Picard facepalm

    1) While letting someone else do the healing instead and sitting on your thumbs in general is better for your mana, you need to pull your weight. Sooner or later you need to chuck heals out. Unless you picked nose picker in the raid role UI, of course.

    2) Binding Heal is the most efficient direct healing spell we have. If you have an opportunity to use it, you SHOULD. And it's more "super efficient" than any HoT any other healers does (Renew, Rejuv, Riptide, etc..).


    3) If mana is a serious issue at FL level gear, you're doing something very wrong.


    4) Overall, everyone's overheal should be considered in every heal you chuck out, but your argument seems to selectively only consider this for BH? ... o.O



    Your reasoning for not using BH is severely flawed. =/
    In the current content with the gear we have, sure I'd drop a BH just for the lolz. But Spiritus is right though. In a situation he explained, it's only a ego boost to heal with BH, there's literally no need for it (in a 25man scenario).

  6. #26
    binding heal is amazing on hard modes, and really good in rated battlegrounds (since any good team will be aiming for priests)
    flash heal is only good in heriocs and normal bgs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cIMXh8XxVFQ 25 priests vs Lei Shen in ToT!
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Simmias/simple 580 Shadow Priest Tank with terrible RnG luck formally known as Valley :P

  7. #27
    For quite a while i dont think I bothered using binding heal. It is quite useful, but if you've not used it regularly before you will have to adapt to figuring out when it's best to use it. If any healer has accidentally allowed themselves to die because they're staring at the rest of the raid, they'll benefit by using BH once in a while.

    I also found that binding it was a pain for quite a while until i got a multimultibutton mouse.

  8. #28
    I consider it for BH because if you were to default to BH for any situation where "you and someone else in the raid are down enough health for BH to have minimal overheal," the use of it would be crazy frequent. Casting BH is the same MPCT as FH. If casting FH frequently is generally considered to OOM you quickly, in terms of MPCT, then casting BH frequently will OOM you quickly.

    BH is a great spell, I used it as part of my toolbox, but it is folly to suggest that it should be used in any situation where "you and someone else in the raid are down enough health for BH to have minimal overheal," merely because of it's HPM, because by doing so completely disregards its impact via MPCT.

    Consider this:

    Lets say a spell cost 100,000 mana, but healed 25 targets with a 1.5sec cast time for 100,000 health, it's HPM would be 25.0, only eclipsed in efficiency by LW [38.56]. However it's MPCT would be 66,666.67. Is this a wise spell to cast whenever it would have little overheal?

    Lets try to chop it down a bit to more realistic levels, say, in half. Lets put it at 50,000mana, but healed 25 targets in 1.5sec for 50,000 health. It's HPM would still be 25, but it's MPCT would be down to 33,333.34. Still pretty OP, but outrageous to consider casting in any decent length encounter.

    OK, well, lets look at the highest MPCT spell ever seen on the books in Cata at anytime. That would be HW:Sanc when it was 44% BaseMana, or 10,270mana. The MPCT on that version of the spell was 6846.67, but its HPM was awful. However, if you could cast HW:Sanc w/o CD, it would be sustainable for 486.85% longer than our 2nd go at our fictitious 25HPM spell.

    Right, well, lets see how far down we have to scale this to get to BH level of sustainability. So, BH has an MPCT of 4356.67. So our fictitious spell would have to have the exact same MPCT, which would result in a mana cost of 6535 and would heal all 25targets for 6535 in 1.5sec! Again, it's still at 25HPM. Now the spell is insanely OP, not because of its HPM [or efficiency], but because of its HPS in conjunction with its sustainability via MPCT.

    Efficiency is a good measure, for certain. But just because something has quality HPM, doesn't necessarily mean it is a wise choice whenever a scenario presents itself for little to no overheal. This is why BH doesn't represent any significant percentage of GCD usage for either holy priests or disc priests. Not because the opportunities for its use aren't there, but because when you are part of a healing team, there are better spell selections in most cases for most GCDs.

  9. #29
    Depends on the fight (10man) and situation.
    We 2 heal mainly, so i use BH form time to time when i feel its needed and when my healing partner has to do things already or is not in range (Cho'Gall/Nef).

    I use it most on:
    Beth: If im healing top i use BH to keep me and the dps up when im getting low and use PW:S/Gheal/PoM (melee goes top) on Tank.

    Thats basicly it this tier, other than that i use it when the situation requires it. Blowing them traps on Raggy, (i call out for them) i might use a quick BH on a Tank in order to push meself just a bit up if i got hit by his random fire ball.

    T11 BH was good on chim, 1 cast brought me on 10k most of the times and i just focussed on both tanks while my healing buddy did the raid alone as shaman. BoT Counsil phase 3 i did use BH to keep me going and not lose any healing time on the tank. Tot4W counsil i did use BH more than normal.

    Baradin Hold Solo healing both Bosses makes me use BH a bit more than normal.

    Its an awesome spell to use, not to boost the meters cuz if i wanted to do that i would roll a druid.

    Sig made by Resentful

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    BH is a great spell, I used it as part of my toolbox, but it is folly to suggest that it should be used in any situation where "you and someone else in the raid are down enough health for BH to have minimal overheal," merely because of it's HPM, because by doing so completely disregards its impact via MPCT.
    MPCT is a rather meaningless number for healers. I'm sure you've said this yourself - you aren't trying to blow up a 1 million hp target as fast as possible; you're trying to maintain a given HPS for the minimal mana cost. As such the highest HPM spell that meets or exceeds the HPS target is always the best spell to cast.

    To use your example, in the first case the spell puts out 2.5m healing. If you need to make 25k hps you only cast it once every 100s and you meet your target. So yes it costs 100k mana, but you have 100s to regen that, so you only need 1k mps to maintain that throughput.

    In BH's case it's the most efficient heal. Either you spend 1.5s healing two people up with BH and take a casting break (maybe change position or such). Or you spend more time healing them up with a lesser spell and have less options. I'd always pick the former personally.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferin View Post
    To use your example, in the first case the spell puts out 2.5m healing. If you need to make 25k hps you only cast it once every 100s and you meet your target. So yes it costs 100k mana, but you have 100s to regen that, so you only need 1k mps to maintain that throughput.
    I would agree, except that in practice, when situations like this occur, you can't twiddle your thumbs waiting for the next opportunity for that spell to be efficient.

    Take Nef. There are loads of times during that fight that using the spell I made up would rock... except that by using it only once or twice, you'd cripple yourself for the rest of the encounter, even though it is insanely efficient.

    I'm not at all trying to say BH is bad. I'm just using the metric of MPCT to illustrate that using BH, as the go-to in any situation in where it would be low overheal, would result in not only reduced HPS, but also quicker depletion of mana than the priorities currently used by most healing priests.

    That is why I recommend that BH be used in situations where FH is desired, but either you or someone else is at enough deficit to result in minor/no overheal.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    I would agree, except that in practice, when situations like this occur, you can't twiddle your thumbs waiting for the next opportunity for that spell to be efficient.
    Well if there's no other healing required from you then you can just twiddle your thumbs. My main problem with such a spell is that it would be very boring - you want to be casting more or less all the time to maintain interest, not dumping a huge heal then regenning for ages (sounds like vanilla in fact...)

    For a more real world comparison, BH has roughly the efficiency of Heal, but costs 3 times as much. Given a no overheal situation I'd rather cast BH twice and regen for 12 seconds than cast heal 6 times for the same total healing.

  13. #33
    I use Binding Heal all the time to heal myself (unless PoH makes more sense).
    Mana hasn't been a concern for me for a long time, so i'm not affraid to use flash heal either.

    Got flash heal bound to 3 and binding to shift-3

  14. #34
    I think you're doing something wrong if you're neglecting Binding Heal.

    It's understandable, however, to neglect Flash Heal, especially as Discipline. Discipline has two other spells which serve similar function to Flash Heal -- Power Word: Shield and Penance -- and does not have Serendipity. Also, Discipline has a higher efficiency with Greater Heal. Overall though, this isn't bad. It's good game design if you ask me.

  15. #35
    Binding Heal is definitly my favorite heal as holy. Mana-efficient, fast, high hps spell that gives serendipity to boost, what's not to love

  16. #36
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Argent Dawn EU
    Posts
    68
    As Holy I use it a lot. It gives serendipity and together with Blessed Resilience it can be amazing in saving your own life quickly, buying time to heal others.

    As Disc it gets far less use, but as a niche heal, it can be brilliant. It has its drawbacks as Disc, but it can still be a useful tool on occasion. Both FH and BH aren't high on my list as Disc. I just find PW:Shield, Penance and Gheal do the job just as well/better, most of the time. I don't understand people who won't use it at all or who think it's worthless. Every time I heal something on my paladin alt, I find myself in situations where I really miss binding heal.

  17. #37
    i use it in pvp a lot, sometimes though i spam reg heal then flash at 70% hp, ofc unless a hunter is in the group i make sure everyone is below 90% then...
    i haven't pve'd on my priest since ToC / a small bit of ICC, got deep into tanking then... my disc priest is however my pvp char, pvp shadow for world / reg bg's if i am bored.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

  18. #38
    High Overlord Thasilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    102
    I wonder when do you actually need to use Flash Heal, if you play as intented and plan your healing syncronised to the encounter you should not find yourself using that spell. I only use it in "oh shi.." situations and if it is the only way to keep someone alive as example during ragnaros engulfing flames if someone gets hit and there is still more coming close to him. And ofc in baleroc with lust you will spam flash in order to get 100+ stack for to heal tank rest of the encounter. Binding heal as disc is pretty useless because it does not heal that much and usually when you really need it the damage is pretty high and you need some real heals for it but as holy I use it more ofter because it is stronger.
    Tanking is a job, doing dps is a science and healing is an art.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •