Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inay View Post
    I dont hate bacon. Its delicious and I absolutely love it. Still I cant deny that it is not viable option to take if you are trying to get lean. Of course occasionally you can eat it but you should forget eating it regularly as its macro-nutrients are not even near good.
    Bacon is quite calorie dense due to the high fat content, but it's nice to have once in a while, it's not inherently bad or anything.
    There's only so much skinless chicken breast a guy can eat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivirus
    You shouldn't eat bacon anyway, it's saturated fat and is bad for you
    Where do people get the notion that fat is bad for you?
    We've been eating animal fat for literally thousands of years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivirus View Post
    When you work out you consume the glycogen stores in your muscles. Glycogens are the sugars that are stored in your muscles for immediate energy. Also, working out builds up lactic acid, and there's not much you can do to speed up its dissipation. To lessen future after-workout pains you should carb-load a few hours to a day before an intense workout. This will boost your glycogen stores giving your muscles more energy, thus creating less fatigue. You should also eat a high carb meal of at least 130g of carbs after an intense workout. An example would be a turkey sandwich on whole wheat, a piece of fruit, and 2% chocolate milk.

You shouldn't eat bacon anyway, it's saturated fat and is bad for you, and sulfites which are preservatives. So basically carbohydrates are better for lessening your fatigue after workouts than protein.
    Perfect, we have turkey slices in the fridge and brown whole wheat bread.

Quote Originally Posted by DiceDice View Post
    Where do people get the notion that fat is bad for you?
    We've been eating animal fat for literally thousands of years.
    Fats are indeed needed but thats not the point. There is good fats and bad fats. Saturated fats are bad for you like Ivirus stated before and you should avoid them. Now you can though eat bacon occasionally if you stay strict on your diet otherwise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    Is there any way to increase the DOMS? I love the feeling!
    Train harder basically but the more you push te closer ou are to straining or tearing muscles which will put you out of action for 2 weeks too months..... So don't push it too far xD
    Also change up your workout routine what days and times and order of exercises and vary exercises as your body gets used to the movement and basically the muscles become too efficient to push them hard and get the gains insize / strength etc l! Things like not doing bench press with a barbell and use dumbbells etc confuse and shock the muscles for bigger gains! Also if you hit chest glutes or quads to failure you also trigger much bigger hgh and overall hormone release (basically hit the biggest muscles hard it's triggers the release I forget the why it was in a journal I read a while ago!)

Deleted
    Lots of misinformation in this thread.
    Bacon can be a healthy source of lean protein if cooked correctly (unsalted, unsmoked, grilled).
    Though it's pretty low in protein because the strips don't weigh much.

Also regular mayonnaise is healthy because it's low in saturated fat and high in the good kinds, poly/monounsaturates. (fat is not the enemy) It's also made with eggs and vinegar, mustard usually, pretty healthy stuff.

Do some google research and don't come to a forum inhabited by mostly overweight teenagers when looking for health information.

Protein = quicker muscle recovery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inay
    Saturated fats are bad for you like Ivirus stated before and you should avoid them
    Everyone says that but nobody actually provides reasons why it's bad for you.

Edit: I'm not saying bacon is great and you should eat it everyday, it's generally lowish in protein compared to other meats, I'm saying why do people think its "bad" for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivirus View Post
    When you work out you consume the glycogen stores in your muscles. Glycogens are the sugars that are stored in your muscles for immediate energy. Also, working out builds up lactic acid, and there's not much you can do to speed up its dissipation. To lessen future after-workout pains you should carb-load a few hours to a day before an intense workout. This will boost your glycogen stores giving your muscles more energy, thus creating less fatigue. You should also eat a high carb meal of at least 130g of carbs after an intense workout. An example would be a turkey sandwich on whole wheat, a piece of fruit, and 2% chocolate milk.

You shouldn't eat bacon anyway, it's saturated fat and is bad for you, and sulfites which are preservatives. So basically carbohydrates are better for lessening your fatigue after workouts than protein.
    Carb loading won't affect the after workout soreness from working out. The pain he is talking about is the "day after" pain.
    This pain essentially comes from damage to the muscle tissue, surounding tissue, myocytes and sarcomere damage which initiates a relatively minor inflammatory response.
    While carb loading can help performance, there isn't anything in particular you can do to relieve this sort of pain, other than proper nutrition, stretching before and after and resting.

Also carb loading has a minimal effect on the type of workout the OP seems to be talking about (weight lifting is what I'm gathering). The increased stores of glycogen (mostly in the liver) will have little effect with weight lifting as most of the immediate energy for weight lifting comes from ATP and phosphocreatine. Glycogen would be used between sets to regenerate those two compounds.
    Last edited by Dezixn; 2011-10-25 at 11:50 PM.

Deleted
    Short answer, saturated fat is not bad for you if you keep your cholesterol levels in a healthy and balanced range.

Why is sat fat "bad"? It increases HDL cholesterol and when you have more HDL than LDL that's when lipids start getting stuck to your arteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Kataya View Post
    Short answer, saturated fat is not bad for you if you keep your cholesterol levels in a healthy and balanced range.

Why is sat fat "bad"? It increases HDL cholesterol and when you have more HDL than LDL that's when lipids start getting stuck to your arteries.
    Saturated fats are mostly "bad" because they are fully hydrogenated and contain no carbon carbon double bonds. Thus they can assume a trans configuration and stack better. Basically saturated fats are more dense, so you get more calories/volume with them. They also contain more available energy due to their saturation.
    HDL is "good cholesterol", it essentially transports fats and cholesterol back to the liver for metabolism. LDL is the bad one and is strongly associated with atherosclerosis.

Deleted
    Also as I said depending on your own metabolism and goals you need to balance your carbs and protein, carb loading is to some extent outdated and not needed for gym sessions low GI foods for slow release are more beneficial than eating a load of random carbs and takin a protein shake 60-90 minutes pre workout (varies depending on your digestive system) has shown to reduce fatigue and improve performance more than just crb loading but t depends if you are goig for high rep weights or endrance training, supersets involving linked muscle groups er as for weights the time between sets is usually enough to allow muscles to build up energy as it were (it's late and I'm on an I phone so won't get to technical / scientific unless requested then you have to wait for me to get to a pc) the main thing to remember I'd there are hundreds of nutritional plans and ratios and when and how much deepening on what you are doing and your own physiology, Iv coached and trained with people who live on carbs and can't do shit without loading all the time (16 hour a week swimmers not including gym time) but people like myself will run best with minimal low GI carbs then alot of vege and protein

Deleted
    Ahh, got HDL and LDL mixed up, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Kataya View Post

LDL is "bad" cholesterol that have been proved to cause heart-diseases in long term and of course to add in all the other effects from high cholesterol.
    HDL is "good" cholesterol which have proved to be healthy for your heart since HDL has the ability to lower the LDL.
    Unsaturated fats = rises HDL
    Saturated fats= rises LDL

Now of course we are saying here that bacon is not good source for protein here since 1. you dont want to include saturated fats into your diet in high amounts 2. There is much more viable sources of protein.

Every now and there bacon wont hurt you but if you are trying to eat optimally and to achieve lean and fit body you just cant justify bacon being regular part of your diet when there is much better options available.

baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&bacons trips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips& baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&bacons trips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&

no but seriously are you joking op?

Deleted
    Agree with Kataya, LOTS of misinformation in this thread. Anyways if you keep breaks for 2 weeks you always get sore muscles, try to eat, rest and flex properly when you get back to gym and when you get out of gym too. Many ppl underestimate power of proper flexing. Also try not to do killer training on couple of first days ur back in the gym, your body will get used to gym again in couple of days just hold your horses for awhile. Sidenote, i eat bacon almost every day on my diet... thou im on low carb diet, thats dat reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalize View Post
    baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&bacons trips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips& baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&bacons trips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&baconstrips&

no but seriously are you joking op?
    Half joking, since I know bacon is very bad for you, but as stated above, you can eat it sometimes as a treat. Then again I was wondering if bacon actually has some considerable amount of protein and I was thinking of treating myself.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Half joking, since I know bacon is very bad for you, but as stated above, you can eat it sometimes as a treat. Then again I was wondering if bacon actually has some considerable amount of protein and I was thinking of treating myself.
    100g of bacon includes about:
    -15g of protein
    - <1g of carbs
    -24g of fat
    and has 280kcals

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    I ask because bacon is also delicious. :P
    Exactly. It is the most delicious of all meats. That is reason alone, so yes, eat it!

Deleted
    As far as bacon goes I LOVE IT so I trim off more of the fat (I don't eat streaky bacon) then grill it on a rack so day drips away from it (crispy ) or wrap a chicken breast in bacon and bake covered foil on a drip tray then grill to crisp the bacon up! Nutrition and correct training is important but so is your psychological state treat yourself with bacon when you have earned it and trim fat from other meals and you end nutritionally in pretty much the same but far tastier place!

What is the false information you guys keep referring to?
    -Saturated fats should be avoided.
    -Bacon is not great option for protein since it contains saturated fats and overall has too much fats whereas there is more viable options for protein where fats are much lower.

Now I dont see what is so wrong here. In diet point of view I can see that if you prefer keto you would actually argue for bacon but I guess we are talking about just low carb diet which still includes fair amount of complex carbs since OP mentioned eating products with carbs on the posts.

Deleted
    I think people are merely sayin eating enough bacon to make it provide enough protein would also cause long term damage as pork I a fatty meat and few people trim fat off of bacon so a rasher of bacon cam be anywhere from10-40% fat and then if fried butter or oil added but if trimmed and grilled on a rack and used as an addition to add flavour if you don't add bacon to every meal or eat too much all the time is nothing to worry about! heavy metals and chemicals in fish and anti biotics in meat is more of a concern than bacon xD