Question Ragnaros HC tanking

Hey all.

Our guild just started trying Ragna HC, and I've got such problem: when I tank boss, he hits me like 70k per melee hit (50k when block occurs). My healer says its insane damage and he wont be able to heal me whole fight if I keep getting so huge melee hits from boss. Could someone plz advise what to do or what to improve in this situation?

Here is my armory: eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/skullcrusher/Muxtar/simple

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Muxtar; 2011-10-26 at 04:39 AM.

assuming youre doing everything right, ie appropriate cooldown usage, appropriate tank taunting w/ debuffs, the only advice i can give you is to tell your healer to play better or get more gear. Our resto shaman quite literally solo heals both tanks for the entirety of the encounter; i imagine any class sufficiently skilled and geared should be able to do so with proper mana cooldown management. Make sure your raid has replenishment.

Thanks for answer. I ofc taunt Ragna when I got off my stacks, and just after I taunted boss I use SB, just in case. Thats all what I have to do atm (we didnt get to phase 4 yet). So I guess I should go blame healer indeed

Deleted
    A few thoughts:

> Use Mirror of Broken Images rather than Essence of the Eternal Flame. Pop it alongside traps in p1, seed explosions in p2 and whenever you get high stacks in p4 for whatever reason.

> Reforge out of expertise rather than avoidances. Even though the avoidance gains may seem minor they do have a major impact on the overall gameplay. Unless, of course, you've decided you need that additional damage for Ragnaros, but your first to prioritizations should be maximizing your survivability and optimize your ability usage.

> Since you're not unhitable, consider using the armor meta gem to easen the burst that occurs when you fail to block an attack. Your CTC is quite high though so I guess you shouldn't.

> I hope you're using and Prismatic Elixir + Elixir of the Master-combo rather than a stamina flask. The Prismatic Elixir alone will reduce a lot of damage on this encounter - both burst damage and passive damage - and the Elixir of the Master provides a huge chunk of block.

> Time your Shield Blocks so that you use them right after a Sulfuras Smash, as that's when your raid members may need unexpected single target healing or when your healers must move and can't heal as efficiently. This may also increase your effective uptime - even if you delayed it - as he doesn't melee while he's smashing the ground.

Do keep in mind, however, that you always want to delay Shield Block to trigger Spell Block for traps/seed explosions whenever Mirror of Broken Images is on CD.

> Don't hesitate to use Shield Wall, Last Stand and Enraged Regeneration. I always use Shield Wall during a specific tanking session as I know I won't have to delay Shield Block for like 15 seconds to cover a trap if I do. Always make sure you're covered by either the trinket, a major defensive CD or/and Spell Block when the seeds explode because your healers will desperately need to heal others at this place.

> Similarly, if possible, make sure your healers get some sort of run speed boost as often as possible when running from seeds or they will fall behind on tank healing.

The problem is usually not how high melee swings are, but how much damage other raid members suffer and when you use your CDs. If nobody else needs desperate healing all healers attention will be on you, so even if the boss deals a lot of damage during that time it's np. If your entire raid needs to be healed asap you should pop a defensive CD even if the boss doesn't deal much damage, because your healers attention should be at other people than you.
    Last edited by mmoc0a04ed3db8; 2011-10-26 at 06:25 AM.

I defiantly agree with:

- the above mentioned use of resist/mastery elixir combo over stamina flask.
    - use of Mirror of Broken Images over the DPS trinket. Less mastery but the 1 min on-use is amazing for Rag.
    - Look over your reforging again. Reforge out of hit/exp on a few pieces, even if it nets less mastery overall (unless you are pushing that last 1-2% CTC which it looks like you aren't right now). If you argue you "need" more damage, the tanking debuff helps in that department and see point 1 below.

Couple things I do not agree with about your spec/glyphs:

1) Not having 2/2 Heavy Repercussions. Maybe swap out 2/2 Thunderstruck for it. Nothing to do with survivability.
    2) Glyphing for Shield Wall? Doubling the cool down is not worth the 20% extra damage reduction; I am pretty sure.

Some other info that would be helpful (outside of combat logs) would be raid comp and the healer that you are talking about.

There should be tankswaps every ~20 secs so with shieldblock and the 4piece you shouldn't get any unblocked hits even if you're not passive unhittable. Can alternate mirror trinket with shieldwall for the traps in P1 to reduce the damage, mirror trinket is also nice in P2.

There are a few gearchoices that seem weird to me. Spend a firestone on the ring while you get the rep one soon instead of on the neck or ranged slot. No baleroc helm and the shield, maybe bad luck with drops? Could use some more 391 stuff in general. Prefer the thrall questline cloak and the crafted boots but that's debatable, guess the threatstats can't hurt on 10man.
    Last edited by bigbad; 2011-10-26 at 08:06 AM.

Thanks guys for answers, lots of useful information for me

1. I was told about resistance trinket by my healer, so atm grinding that boring TB dailies to get it asap.
    2. I thought the more mastery --> the better, thats why i didnt reforge out hit/exp from some items, because i would get less +mastery. Seems I was wrong.
    3. I used stamina flasks all this time, seems it was kinda retartdly of me to do it:P Will buy resistance+mastery flasks then.
    4. So I kinda didnt understand - I have to pop my SB when traps are soaked, or when Sulfuras Smash is incoming? Because these two events could go right after eash other and I will have SB on cd for 2nd event (smash or traps). Or it is better to assign i.e. Mirror trinket for traps and SB for smashes?
    5. Seems my SW glyph and Thunderstrck were not optimal ones, I d try to use Heavy Repercussions instead. But what to put instead of SW glyph? What would be the best choice?
    6. My healer's armory: eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/skullcrusher/Blauw/simple
    7. I prefered ring over ranged, because ranged weapon has pretty low bonuses comparing to the ring.
    8. And yeah, I have definitely bad luck with drops, I still have no shield/helm from Baleroc, even 378 ones

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Muxtar View Post
    4. So I kinda didnt understand - I have to pop my SB when traps are soaked, or when Sulfuras Smash is incoming? Because these two events could go right after eash other and I will have SB on cd for 2nd event (smash or traps). Or it is better to assign i.e. Mirror trinket for traps and SB for smashes?
    You always want to cover a trap explosion with something, even if you're not in aggro, like either Spell Block, the trinket or Shield Wall. When you should use which is something I cannot help you with as it will vary depending on how you execute it. Try to use Shield Block for when just after he's smashed, but covering a trap with Spell Block has higher prio unless of course you cover the next with the trinket or whatever.

Also get the Shockwave glyph over the Shield Wall glyph.

Use shieldblock when you taunt and use trinket or shieldwall to cover traps.

Thanks a lot guys! Will try it soon