Thread: Solo End Game

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lovc View Post
    Some forum members think, that, as BW said, crafting is hi end content...
    It is, if the crafting/economy is good.

Personally, being traditionally a hardcore raider and arena junkie, I don't mind at all. As long as Bioware releases *actual* endgame content as well as solo-oriented questing content - more power to them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    Kinda kills the purpose of MMO, then again, I would rather do stuff by myself than with 5 people. Raiding is so fun though.

Eh, 2 person content seems fine, I might see problems with 1 man content.
    I believe that playing with a bunch of friends is much more enjoyable than playing alone.

Sorry not a fan of this idea because this should be a MMO not a single player game. I can understand leveling being solo but once you get there I think there should be more interaction with the community. It might be cold to say but I really think if you don't want to group with people then MMO's aren't your genre of games. As for those with time constraints and commitments... I had a guy once who could raid only 1 day a week for 3 hours because of his wife&family but he really really wanted to raid. I found a way to get him in :P So where there is a will, there is a way. I believe the LFG/LFR function in WoW has spoiled people and they became dependent on it rather than dependent on themselves to get something done in game.

in mmo's you are supposed to work as a group towards a common goal, if u want a good solo game buy diablo.

I am the type of player that solo content would be geared towards. I LOVE the idea of it and yea, I would gladly pay $15 a month for a solo game constantly being updated. Luckily, the mere existence of solo content does not remove the possibility of grouping with others and enjoying the multiplayer side of the game. The two are not mutually exclusive. $15 a month for solo content AND multiplayer content would be a steal.

While I love soloing, I also LOVE grouping with others and working together to take out dungeons. I get a different feeling of accomplishment from each one. The thing is, I don't always have the time (or patience) to group with others, so having fresh solo content to play through for a quick 30min would be awesome.

There are quite a lot of people who, after hitting max level, still enjoy going back to finish quests they missed. Many people also like soloing raids in WoW just for the challenge. It doesn't necessarily mean they don't like to play with others, it's just another way to experience the game and mix things up. I guess it's almost like PvE vs PvP. Some people enjoy PvP, others don't.

I like the idea someone had earlier in this thread about using the presence stat as the main solo stat. That sounds like a great way to keep everyone happy.

Deleted
    I've been playing Age of Empires Online quite a bit lately (got one premium civ) with a good friend of mine. 2-player content really works for keeping casual players really engaged. I never _have_ to log in. I can do many other things, but I still end up getting new epics and slowly grinding cash for legendary items (the reward system is very simple there). As I'm a great fan of the strategy games, I am sometimes happy just doing a solo map, or doing regular 2-players, and not be worried about whether there are people out there doing more thna me, playing more and getting more than me, since in AoEO doesn't have the ability to inspect other players (you can visit their cities if you wish, but you don't have to suffer them standing outside the bank in their full tier all the time).

I can forsee myself doing a lot of 2-player swtor with my buddy, or doing 4 player games. I do not thing I'll return to playing in a raid environment again.

Every PvE oriented MMO should have this kind of thing...
    Is like Vindictus, that have solo options, or a group flag that makes the instance scale in difficult, giving even a possibility to do a heroic version of the dungeon in solo mode, but I would love to see some exclusive content for solo, not just a scale version.

Quote Originally Posted by Renascido View Post
    Every PvE oriented MMO should have this kind of thing...
    Is like Vindictus, that have solo options, or a group flag that makes the instance scale in difficult, giving even a possibility to do a heroic version of the dungeon in solo mode, but I would love to see some exclusive content for solo, not just a scale version.
    Vindictus is also a lobby-like MMO so there's very little in the way of multiplayer elements in the first place.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarasthura View Post
    Vindictus is also a lobby-like MMO so there's very little in the way of multiplayer elements in the first place.
    It does allow you to smack people in the face with a pillar, so that kinda owns
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Looking at this idea in conventional terms, it's easy to dismiss I think. It's not terribly difficult, especially in an environment like Star Wars, to create a single player element that doesn't copy the flashpoint or operation, but becomes a partner in the larger scheme of things. What I mean is, let's say we're on our way into the big crazy prison that's recently been unearthed. While the main focus of the operation may be to ensure that this great evil is never released, it's not terrible unreasonable to assume there is a series of sub-goals that could be incorporated into a solo "adventure". For example, the MAIN story arc could have your party sending off an NPC to disable the turret security system to allow access into the inner section of the prison. The solo "adventure" could place you in the role of that NPC, allowing you to go through seperate challenges that make one contained environment serve several different goals.

I believe items need to be of higher quality in multiplayer settings to not discourage grouping up, but it's not unreasonable to give everyone a taste, albeit maybe a small taste, of all content. It shouldn't be anyone's "requirement" to play with others, there should just be PLENTY of incentives to do so.

I also think that if you provide items in these single player scenarios that "build" upon items obtained in group settings, you offer new and exciting ways of gaining gear.

Agreed, designing solo player content in one of these lobby mmos is alot easier since the scaling content is THE source of content in the game.

Also, do you really want to keep paying $15 a month just to play a pseudo-single player?
    I'd rather do that than play a gear grind raiding treadmill game.

---------- Post added 2011-10-27 at 11:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    It does allow you to smack people in the face with a pillar, so that kinda owns
    Heh. It probably had the best combat I've played in an mmo. Too bad it gets so repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I'd rather do that than play a gear grind raiding treadmill game.
    Raiding and pvp are always the prominent feature of every mmo out there. You grind gear in both. you run the treadmill to success in both. If neither is your cup of tea then I'm sorry to say, unless you log in and play very casually, MMOs are not for you. Single players sound like your kinda deal, or a lobby mmo where the multiplayer element is not a prominent feature.

I see threads like these on the official forums often. I just don't get why people are trying to push Bioware into turning SWTOR into a watered down pseudo single player *just for them*. Nearly everything in this game is built on and for interacting with the people you play with, and asking devs to cater to the niche group seems silly.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

Raiding and pvp are always the prominent feature of every mmo out there. You grind gear in both. you run the treadmill to success in both. If neither is your cup of tea then I'm sorry to say, unless you log in and play very casually, MMOs are not for you. Single players sound like your kinda deal, or a lobby mmo where the multiplayer element is not a prominent feature.

I see threads like these on the official forums often. I just don't get why people are trying to push Bioware into turning SWTOR into a watered down pseudo single player *just for them*. Nearly everything in this game is built on and for interacting with the people you play with, and asking devs to cater to the niche group seems silly.
    Well, you are partly right with me. I hate mmos, especially ones that are raid dominated. I much prefer single player or multiplayer (fps, rts, games like diablo) games. With that said, I'm mostly looking at SWTOR to complete my KOTOR fix. Once that is done, I won't play it anymore. However, if the pvp is good I might stick around for that.

Agreed.

A large amount of people stay subscribed to WoW and log on a couple times a week JUST to raid. You see tons of posts about people saying "Ill play TOR/GW2/ect and then I'll log on to WoW to raid"

Great end game raiding content can hold subscribers ON ITS OWN.

I really really hope that BW is paying attention to this and puts a majority of their focus on developing awesome, well tested raid encounters and settings. The leveling process is an amazing solo player experience, there will be solo level 50 content, but I do agree that this is a niche and that the major draw will be the bigger content, and I hope that they put strong focus on this aspect.

Deleted
    I hope people remember that waay back (like what, 2008-09) the idea of endgame was basically "reroll or do solo content+some flashpoints". It has come way long after that with proper end-game in form of "raids" and "heroic dungeons" announced (no doubt they were in works but didnt announce any).
    So the whole solo content idea is not really new or something they would just made up.

I personally have been wanting this for ages even on mmos. For example in certain mmo the "solo content after raids" are essentially chores that dont feel "heroic" nor fun. Solo dungeons would give stuff to do not only to more casual players who log in few hours day but to time-spenders who log every day and want to do stuff after raid. Maybe some assasin missions (Bounty hunter & Agent trailers anyone?) to get cool title etc.

Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    Eh, 2 person content seems fine, I might see problems with 1 man content.
    I love the concept of 2 man, but balance seems to be an issue. My wife and I re-subbed to Rift to try the 2 man content, and it was way too easy. Not even engaging enough to do a second time. So we ended up paying $30.00 (15 each) for like an hour of play time that didn't even leave us with wanting to do it again.

I am a tank and she is heals. how do you balance that with 2 clothie DPS? It is a hard task which they didn't pull off in Rift.
    "Peace is a lie"

ok so here is the thing

I WANT solo content engame because there will be days where I DO NOT want to raid. or PVP( dont do much of that anyways)

should i be punished for wanting to have a day to my self and go off on another adventure after my story is done.

should i be punished because a decent size of community wants to do nothing but raid

should i be punished because i had a bad day and do not really want to raid because i am just not focused on the task of raiding.

I agree this is a MMO game but you also must remember the WORDING of MMO massively MULTI-PLAYER online game.

there are MORE than just raiders in this game and not ALL of us want to be constrained endgame with nothing to do because a portion of the community says that raids should be the end all of endgame. solo PLAYERS want to do something OTHER than raid. some of you say why pay $15 a month to play a solo game, well here is a good reason. that $15 is for playing BOTH solo and GROUP content, the soloists out there want MORE than just raid and pvp endgame, and also here is a familiar phrase "its my $15 a month I will play how i want to play". and you cant use that well its the other peoples money that decide how you play because again its SOLO so it does not concern you.

remember this is a MMO there are more than just RAIDERS who want to have fun in this game and not be stuck sitting in Coruscant or Dromand Kass with thumbs up our arse because we just do not feel like raiding or banging our heads on keyboards from frustration of doing the same daily OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER im sure you guys get the point by know.

that GOD awful system is what killed my love of wow. same dailies, same heroics, same raids, all of the same day after day. TOR has a wonderful opportunity to take its story driven success and keep content rolling for BOTH the raid and solo comnunities.

now as i stated in the SWTOR thread of the same discussion NO abolutly NO should we get raid quality gear from doing solo endgame IF it is something that will be done. if you want to solo then solo, but do not expect to get raid quality gear for doing long and challenging SOLO content.

I myself would LOVE LOVE LOVE solo story endgame content for my trooper and BH cuz i mean really the story does not have to end just cuz we hit lvl 50
    I will be a soloist in this game and will raid for the fun of grouping up and doing something great as a team, but there will be days where i do not want to raid and just go kill some Sith screwballs for the sake of killing and would like to have some purpose to it other than killing for fun

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post

I am a tank and she is heals. how do you balance that with 2 clothie DPS? It is a hard task which they didn't pull off in Rift.
    You expected heavy difficulty from a duo instance really? I mean outside of completely negating dps in them you would require tank and healer all the time with no in between.