Poll: Butter, or Spread?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Butter, or spread?

My girlfriend is under the impression that spread (Parkay, etc.) is better than actual, honest butter, whether it's in cooking or just spread on bread. Personally, I can't live without my Cabot butter; spread just has a fake, terrible taste that I can't stand, and I can definitely taste it when it's cooked into things.

So the question stands: Butter, or spread?

Deleted
    Never heard of spread befor so il go with Butter.

I can't believe it's not butter!

What ever that is.

Better, as in... Tastes better? I'm terrible; I really can't tell a difference, either way. Or maybe it's more accurate to say that I may recognize a difference in flavor but don't prefer one over the other.

Sorry, can't help ya on this one. =/

Butter for baking things and spread for sandwiches.

some spreads don't have milk in them....so it's either spread or nothing for some, allergies can be evil whores.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read somewhere spread is pretty much plastic but who knows.

Only time spread is better is when you need to spread butter, and the butter's been sitting in the fridge. That cold block of butter just doesn't do anything helpful, and usually tears apart otherwise amazing bread.

That is the ONLY time spread is better. Otherwise, butter ftw!

Im sorry but im a spread guy, purly for the reason, is that Im a lazy shit who cant be arsed to microwave butter for a few seconds to make it spreadable
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Butter is much superior to that spread whatnot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only time spread is better is when you need to spread butter, and the butter's been sitting in the fridge. That cold block of butter just doesn't do anything helpful, and usually tears apart otherwise amazing bread.
    8 sec on one side in the microwave, flip another 8 sec on the other. Works in mine anyway.

Spread is the devil. Eat some real butter.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Deleted
    ive never been able to tell the difference in different butters / i canot believe its not butter butters and fake butters. though, i dont eat butter by itself, usually just in a sandwhich, you cant taste it that much.

Actual butter is spreadable if you keep it in a butter crock outside of the refrigerator, which is what I and a lot of people do. I keep 1 stick in the crock at all times, and the rest stays in the fridge. It also freezes exceptionally well.

*edit*

And to those people who can't taste the difference...I'm sorry. If you only knew the joy of real butter flavor, you'd never go back to processed oil spreads ever again. Try tasting some at room temperature to compare; cold temperatures dull the flavors of food.

Butter.

Mainly because I know about fats.

Margarine (or any other "spread" for that matter) is made out of various oils (sunflower and olive oils are the most popular). They are full of unsaturated fats, and thus liquid at room temperature. Unsaturated fats are "good" for you, while saturated fats (the stuff your fries at popular burger chains are cooked in for example) are considered to be bad for you, inducing high cholesterol levels and heart disease. To make an oil "spreadable", you need to turn some of these unsaturated fats into saturated fats to make the fats solidify. This is done with various chemicals in the factory, none of them particularly appetising.

What you end up with is a block of fat that is about as white as soap (and about as tasty). So they add milk powder, egg yolk, colourings and flavourings (natural and not) to make it that yellow that we have come to associate with margarine, and to make it taste more like the butter it is trying to emulate.

The only time I would use margarine is in cooking, when I need a fat that won't go rancid while I am kneading dough (pastry, bread) or that won't burn in the pan (making toffee or caramel) or deep frying (using a fat that smokes at too low a temperature can cause your fryer, and the rest of your kitchen, to set on fire).

Deleted
    Seems like being able to buy Butter in plastic containers like we do in Sweden is not common everywhere else ? and most of those brands are so called soft butter so you dont have to heat it or keep it at room temprature so you can spread it directly on your sandwich directly from the fridge.

Also ive never seen some of those fake butter thingies like i cant belive its butter and such i must have either missed it in stores or they just dont exist in normal stores here.

Don't know what you're talking about, i don't need any of those to live. Actually i'm not sure what the other thing is, and while i find butter tasty, i don't use it at all, unless i'm at somebody else's house and they have it.

Both taste like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vayjir View Post
    Seems like being able to buy Butter in plastic containers like we do in Sweden is not common everywhere else ? and most of those brands are so called soft butter so you dont have to heat it or keep it at room temprature so you can spread it directly on your sandwich directly from the fridge.

Also ive never seen some of those fake butter thingies like i cant belive its butter and such i must have either missed it in stores or they just dont exist in normal stores here.
    They may not be sold over there in Sweden. Also, we do have whipped butter in tubs here that stays spreadable, but it's not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Both taste like shit.
    Butter is an accent food; you never eat it by itself, but you can't tell me that warm, home-baked bread with butter on it doesn't taste good, especially during cold weather.

It could also be because I'm a born and bred, dyed in the wool New Englander, and we're big on dairy and other heavy, hearty, stick to your ribs foods.

Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    They may not be sold over there in Sweden. Also, we do have whipped butter in tubs here that stays spreadable, but it's not the same thing.

Butter is an accent food; you never eat it by itself, but you can't tell me that warm, home-baked bread with butter on it doesn't taste good, especially during cold weather.

It could also be because I'm a born and bred, dyed in the wool New Englander, and we're big on dairy and other heavy, hearty, stick to your ribs foods.
    fat food?

Real butter that's made from real milk of course, and not that artificial crap they put in spreads (like margarine, or hell knows what else). Or peanut butter, if you want both fats and proteins at the same time.
    Life is short Glory is eternal