Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

The Future of FPS gaming

This week On channel 5's gadget show the presenters created an awesome gaming simulator.

This is the link to there youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/thegadge.../0/eg8Bh5iI2WY

Watch this and tell me what you think

all i can say is " I want one now"

A lot of simple techs and a couple of interesting things I had not seen, I'm not sure that I would like having the paint ball guns on when I was playing a new game :P

i wish i had the money to build this at home, i really do

10+ Year Old Account
    A really cool idea but I found it hilarious how much gear he put on for those paintballs

Those paintball turrets would be deadly if you played online.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavemaker View Post
    Those paintball turrets would be deadly if you played online.
    Oh yes, imagen doing a full night 6 hour BF3 with those babies hitting you I would feel like hammered meat :x
    Quote for reply

Quote Originally Posted by palladish View Post
    A really cool idea but I found it hilarious how much gear he put on for those paintballs
    Do it naked like a real man

Was a good idea though but it needs to be smaller if its going to be used at home.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it will ever be used at home unless your a millionaire.

Just imagine hooking 40 up together and doing a Lan party.

amazing i would kill for this

The surround sound and visual looks neat and the treadmill is interesting. I wouldn't care for the getting shot by paintball turrets, but if their expert says it's necessary for full immersion, who am I to disagree?

10+ Year Old Account
    Overkill, with all that nonsense, the player that just spent the money for a mansion and is roasting in that tent will get ripped to shreds by players with a mouse and keyboard.

Virtual Reality died the same death, decades ago.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    i think your missing the point.... this is the future. not exactly, but a young person(or just a person) is gonna see this and that will spark there imagination and in a few years there will be somthing like this on a wider market.

and vr hasn't died it has been taken in different directions. the training sim jason used at the start shows that.

Now with the release of BFBC2 and MW2, there is a new time of online gaming. Both games had some issues, like dedicated servers but both had an focus on multiplayer.
    I think now we are the highest point of FPS online gaming, but the most important question is what will the future bear for the FPS genre?
    Will the FPS games of coming fall surprise us or are they just a copy of MW2 and BFBC2?
    I want to ask all gamers an question what do you think must be improved in the FPS games?
    More quickbased action or building destruction or squadbased missions?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    For me its the squad aspect. I'm not the quickest or the best shot but i am a team player so BF3 is more my style than MW2 as that seams to be more a squad of single players rather than a team

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malaya01 View Post
    Will the FPS games of coming fall surprise us or are they just a copy of MW2 and BFBC2?
    The FPS genre has been stale for quite sometime to be honest, most are to an extent carbon copies of previous games with a tweak, the last big push was probably MW1 which made achievement and medal hunting along with the "kill streak" rewards a big hit.

Depends on the game, sticking with CoD/MW3 and BF3 although they are both FPS games they play extremely different and that's even with taking out vehicles in BF3. CoD thrives on quick play and knowing the maps better than your enemy, how to lock them down into kill areas and how to flank a camper and twitch shooting. Adding something like destructible environments to CoD would kill it to be honest as it removes the predictability of where enemies usually are and how they would move around the map. On the other hand BF3 doesn't really rely on quick play,although when playing the beta some infantry fire fights heat up pretty rapidly more so than CoD's just because of numbers. But BF is more about using your tools and teamwork to out gun, out move and ultimately out play the enemy team.

TL;DR

FPS as a genre is stale and its going to take something really quite unique to knock big names of the top spot(CoD/BF3), I have a feeling maybe CS:GO will steal some thunder, especially COD's market on the PC assuming valve don't blunder it as the new twitch shooter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely amazing. I would love to see something like that become real for the public. Imagine going to a massive cyber cafe, lining up, and being able to do a level of whatever FPS you desire in that dome. It would no doubt cost a pretty penny, but it would be well worth it.

Deleted
    I can see this being really fun and its something I'd want to try out, but in all honesty why do this when you could just go paintballing or airsofting instead? it would be much cheaper and probably more fun in my opinion. (inb4 lol why play fps games atm if you can just go paintballing etc?)

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    this is like the starting block.... the 1s step. they took a basic pc game and gave it more dimensions... the game has more feeling now the player gets tired and hurt. and because of the story of the game you are guided through an experience.

Paintball is a cheapish outdoor/indoor sport played and watched by hundreds of thousands.

This could be the start of an Esport that could attract many followers

Now with the release of BFBC2 and MW2, there is a new time of online gaming. Both games had some issues, like dedicated servers but both had an focus on multiplayer.
    I think now we are the highest point of FPS online gaming, but the most important question is what will the future bear for the FPS genre?
    I want to ask all gamers an question what do you think must be improved in the FPS games?
    Do you mean the release of BF3 and MW3?

BF3 is out, and it is BF:BC2, only prettier and with jets.

MW3 is hopefully going to be MW1-like gameplay, only prettier and with Juggernauts.

Neither is redefining the industry. Nothing will until something huge changes. Really, the only 'huge' changes you can do is make the games more realistic with either VR or with something linked up above, but this isn't going to be mass marketable.

RE: your last question, I like it all. I will play MW3 if I want to run and gun, for some enjoyable mayhem on smaller maps with fast kills, fast movement changes (unrealistic movement changes). I play BF3 when I want to get a squad together and do some vehicular homicide, or enjoy some Rush. A single player in the MW games can win the game for your team playing TD, not possible in a BF game, at least that I have played.

I imagine that environmental destruction is going to be added into the next MW game (Assuming activision does not lose the license to respawn), which will be out in what, 2013, so on next gen xbox and possibly ps4?

10+ Year Old Account
    The part with the soldier was impressive to say the least. If anything they will get a very lucrative DoD contract. Add Bohemia Interactive (Arma) and you have the next gen military simulator. The only way you will see something like this used for gaming is in a high-end arcade and probably with a premium attached to regular admission. Problem is most people don't have an arcade near buy.