Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blizzcon effect on SWTOR?

So I watched the Blizzconn opening ceremony, and for the first time I actually considered cancelling my SWTOR pre-order...

Not saying WOW > SWTOR, and we sure as all hell do not need another thread debating that.

My point, that I would like to open up to discussion, is I think Blizzard did very nicely to make sure they stay competetive in their market. Which, honestly, is a compliment to SWTOR, Blizzard has done very little in the way of even caring about other MMO launches. Maybe letting out a big patch near their release date, steal their thunder a little, but nothing on this level, Certainly never have they locked their playerbase into 1 yr subs

**Edit: Just wanted to clarify, this is called good business strategy, NOT "Blizzard running scared"**

That being said, I'm keeping my SWTOR pre-order, CE even! But, tbh, if MoP was Dec 20th, I actually think I'd cancel SWTOR. I plan to give star wars a good run until MoP comes out, at that point I currently plan to play both games at max level, how that pans out, only time will tell.

Honestly, there is SO MUCH new stuff coming out I think its impossible to like it all, I hate that MoP was predicted before Blizzcon, I don't really care for pandaren, but everything else is a HUGE <3, zomg its gonna be awesome lol.

Actually it's funny because I have long predicted that SWTOR would be successful in tandem with WOW moreso than be competitive (I'm in no way saying they won't compete, just that theres more market still to grab than people see, imho of course) and theres 2 big reasons for that. A) SWTOR will bring newcomers to the market specifically looking for the theme as it's different than WOW (maybe they played Galaxies or EVE but this is obviously much more polished than they) and 2) People who will play both games, because MMO's are actually an extremely cheap hobby lol

So I leave you with this, what are your thoughts? While I still think SWTOR will still be hugely successful, I think Blizzard is playing the game well so far, and will negate a significant drop in subs (people like me, locked into a 1 year contract, while playing SWTOR) (((( Sorry long winded, appreciate it if youre still with me ))))

Of course SWTOR will still be really successful, even if the game is shit there will be enough subscribers to make it a success.
    Star Wars is such a huge franchise that people will play it no matter what.

But yeah, expected Blizzard to start doing some PR soon because of Rift / SWTOR, Rift already makes blizzard look bad at times because of how fast they release content with 20 times less subscribers, that's also why Blizzard said they wanted to get out expansions faster than they have been previously.

On one hand, I feel the 1year sub move is a really cheap and desperate move for WoW subs, but on the other hand it's a pretty damn good offer and even I am considering it and this is coming from someone who's basically done with the game forever. (Except for maybe a few weeks at MoP beta/launch.)

But it's great either way, the MMO market is finally seeing some rivalry and if companies keep pushing eachother it will be better for all of us.

10+ Year Old Account
    im stuck with the 1 year contract with WoW also but im still going to play them both, im just going to redirect my entertainment budget a bit

and what Ighox said this will just make it better for us all.. probably not cheaper subscription costs but more content maybe
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

I don't really feel that Blizzcons announcements had too much effect on my ToR plans. My CE is still preordered and once December rolls around I will be shifting the majority of my time over to ToR. I'm unfortunately locked in on a continued raiding schedule with my guild because they're friends of mine, so I went ahead and subbed for the 1 year of WoW. To be honest my big 2 reasons for locking in were 1) Diablo 3 (clearly) and 2) I'm on the fence about MoP, I don't care one way or the other about Pandaren my biggest concern is the direction theyre moving with the Pet Battles and the new talent system. Somehow I feel like they're gearing this expansion in the same trend they've been following, which has catered to the completely untalented and mentally useless group that play this game. Mind you I don't expect everyone to be an extremely good raider, but it used to be that people got scrubbed out by the generally difficulty and I was okay with that, I've grown very weary of being surrounded by horrible players who can't handle the most basic of boss mechanics. If I wanted a mindless mob to fight I'd go play a Korean click-to-move and be done with it. I digress though - I'm not sure I will like MoP, at the moment I stand fairly certain it will be the expansion that makes me wave the "So long and thanks for all the fish" flag and move on with my gaming life... An opportunity to find that out before I have to fork out the $50, combined with having a neat mount for the remainder of my time, and not having to go stand at gamestop at midnight for my copy of D3 are all well worth that 1 year for me. As for any of it affecting ToR? Can't say it did, I'm still extremely excited and it's nice to see Blizzard scrambling a little bit. BioWare is in a very similar position to where Blizzard was when WoW first dropped. Most of these other MMO companies were moderately successful yes, but none of them were household names. BioWare has the financial backing and enough IPs in their aresenal to afford to put forth the same kind of work into their MMO as Blizzard did, and I think this is the first time that's really happened. It's going to be an interesting first year.

10+ Year Old Account
    From my own personal experience, I'd say that the pre-orders of SWTOR skyrocketed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Immediately after BlizzCon I noticed the desperate fight of the forum mods to lock all offtopic posts ("I didn't plan to get swtor until now, but after the Pandaria announcement I am finished with WoW and will change for SWTOR", that kind of post), and for every post they closed, two more (from other people) popped up. So I would say, preorders surely went up. It is a nobrainer, actually. Blizz just steered away from the heroic fantasy/high fantasy/intense serious story ideas - Bioware are saying since the start they are deeply into the "intense serious story" aspect, and that they never will include even pop culture references to keep
    the story "clean". So they are exactly offering what the people shocked of Pandaria missing in the new WoW Addon.

vgchartz lists swtor at 66000 preorders ONLY THE BLIZZCON WEEK. If I remember right it had below 40000 preorders the week before (note: these numbers do not include preorders for digital download, nor preorders from Amazon, only the preorders from retailers). So: Yes, there has been a noticable increase in Preorders. These are also only preorders in US, Europe not included, sadly.
    Somebody got a Dark Intent and a Focus Magic for Tarecgosa and me? ;-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    From my own personal experience, I'd say that the pre-orders of SWTOR skyrocketed.
    Same thing.
    the blizzcon about WOW .... was so full of ideas stolen from bioware's SWTOR and otherwise crap ideas about talents or Like wtf Pandarian? that it more or less gave me an idea to really stop wow completely.

I did have one exciting feeling, and that was the sense of scale in pandaria... Looked Really awesome. but other than that... the race.. the talents.. like.. what the hell is going on? i don't see how you get the feeling SWTOR would lose pre-orders ;p

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love WoW, it has a fond place in my heart, after playing it for 6 years. That being said, I quit before MoP was announced, in anticipation of SW:TOR. I was one of the lucky, and got in on the beta. I found that I didn't have the time, nor desire to play 2 MMO's at one time.

I've been interested in SW:TOR since I first heard it being announced, and plan on sticking with it. Blizzcon actually solidified my decision, as nothing mentioned at blizzcon, and I do mean NOTHING, interested me. The 1 year subscription to get a free mount in a game I don't want to play, a beta access to a game I do want to play (but with have plenty to play until it's release), and a free copy of that game is not worth the 1 year sub in my eyes. It's cheaper simply to buy the game itself (for me).

Since this thread deviated from others, and approached the subject in a different manner, I will keep my disparaging remarks with regards to the new Expac to myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by legarambor View Post
    I did have one exciting feeling, and that was the sense of scale in pandaria... Looked Really awesome. but other than that... the race.. the talents.. like.. what the hell is going on? i don't see how you get the feeling SWTOR would lose pre-orders ;p
    I hear ya, thing is I've realized that the longer you play a game, the less you notice your enviroments. Hell, it's been a good 3 years since I bothered paning the camera around to enjoy the scenery in WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Blizzcon, for me, ensured that WoW isn't going to be disturbing my TOR play. It seems as though MoP is alienating a lot more people than previous expansions, so there should be a good deal of mmorpg fans looking for a replacement in swtor.

LOL - alright OP, cancel your preorder and play with pandas.

Personally, after I saw blizzcon - I finally bought my preorder- as did most of my guild.

Deleted
    Look at it this way.. The more people who goes to SW:TOR, the more free stuff we will get!! now everytime someone post a silly "goodbye wow you suck" thread, then we can just thank the person for getting us free games

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzcon only served to further validate my decision to leave WoW. WoW just does not seem to be heading in a direction that I find fun and enjoyable. Previously I was considering playing both games, but now it probably just better for me to quit WoW. If you like a game stick with it, if not leave. The only reason I have still been hanging on to WoW is because I love hanging with my guildies, but since they are all going to SWToR with me as well there is no point in continuing my sub.
    Last edited by Ghosty; 2011-10-27 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling >.<

Deleted
    Talent Changes again aren't preferable.

Theres a website that tracks this, and this trend has not occured, granted they weren't cancelled either, but I wasn't serious that they would be, only making a point. I'll get you a link if you want, but if your a SWTOR guy, you should already know about darthhater, and they post the updated pre-order standings regularily

IMO Blizzcon only made SWTOR look better.

Deleted
    At the moment i am really looking forward to TOR and Blizzcon didn't change my mind.
    I am not a fan of the Pandaren and the Pokemon battles but the rest of the changes sound good to me. Also i think that the new zones will be very nice.
    I'll buy MoP when TOR doesn't flash anymore at the time MoP is released or(and there is a good chance that this will be the case) i am so much into D3 that i lost my interest in WoW.

I'll definatly won't resub till MoP is out. The actual contet feels boring and yeah i could kill Deatwing... but somehow i don't care for Deathwing.

How do you have personal experience with internal finance and sales numbers to a company that, odds are, you are not an officer of?

Quote Originally Posted by legarambor View Post
    Same thing.
    the blizzcon about WOW .... was so full of ideas stolen from bioware's SWTOR and otherwise crap ideas about talents or Like wtf Pandarian? that it more or less gave me an idea to really stop wow completely.

Wait what? What has MoP "stolen" from SW:TOR. The only thing the game appears to have borrowed from other MMO's is the scenarios feature, which existed in Warhammer and does not exist in SW:TOR.

SW:TOR has no new features other than voice acting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    Of course SWTOR will still be really successful, even if the game is shit there will be enough subscribers to make it a success.
    Star Wars is such a huge franchise that people will play it no matter what.

But yeah, expected Blizzard to start doing some PR soon because of Rift / SWTOR, Rift already makes blizzard look bad at times because of how fast they release content with 20 times less subscribers, that's also why Blizzard said they wanted to get out expansions faster than they have been previously.

On one hand, I feel the 1year sub move is a really cheap and desperate move for WoW subs, but on the other hand it's a pretty damn good offer and even I am considering it and this is coming from someone who's basically done with the game forever. (Except for maybe a few weeks at MoP beta/launch.)

But it's great either way, the MMO market is finally seeing some rivalry and if companies keep pushing eachother it will be better for all of us.
    The thing about releasing faster is just bullshit.
    They said that before in the past and look how things went.
    Only reason cata is gettin handled this fast is becaus to be fair it was a huge fail and dissapointment in many people's eyes.
    SO much content got scrapped and ditched its not funny anymore , all in favor of updating the old vanilla world where u spend so little time in the long term of playing a character.
    Blizzard needs to step its game up with content for sure , i mean look at the company , its one of the top notch of PC gaming and has so many resources YET they take months for a silly raid dungeon or some class changes people are begging for for months.
    They took a hit with subscribers and i think it did scare em a bit , all the voices of hearing some people ditchin WOW for diablo 3 might also be the reason they added that 1 year sub with free D3 thing if u ask me.
    Most of my friends dont even care for MoP anymore and just are like meh.. i dont know about this.
    Personally im lookin forward to MoP and il keep a eye on SWTOR but i do think that if content gets scrapped and takes ages to be released its gonna be cata all over again but with even bigger subscription losses.

Evertime a new mmo comes out people claim its a wow killer.
    We all know thats not happening but what IS happening is everytime a new and better one comes out , they steal more members then the previous MMO did.
    SWTOR is a big big thing franchise wise and after seeing reactions many people gave i think this one will take a fair chunk of subs aswell.