So my motherboard died and I need to send it in for repairs.

Will I need to get a new copy of windows 7 if they end up giving me a new motherboard? And how the hell do I go about backing up data when I can't even turn on the computer? I'm guessing the answers are no because I bought the full version and not the one copy one and the second one is just keep the HDD as no information is stored of the mobo. Just want some clarification.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they replace with the same model, you should be able to reuse the key and the windows install. If all fails you can activate it over the phone and you just tell microsoft that your motherboard died. You can back up data by moving the hard drive to another computer, otherwise you really can't.

15+ Year Old Account
    If it gets replaced with the same model motherboard, you won't need to reinstall Windows. You only need to reinstall if the new motherboard has a different set of drivers and components (different SATA ports, for instance).

Alright, thanks for the help.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    If it gets replaced with the same model motherboard, you won't need to reinstall Windows. You only need to reinstall if the new motherboard has a different set of drivers and components (different SATA ports, for instance).
    Would this be the same in the case of B3.0 revision motherboards and the B3.1 revision motherboards?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Might want to make a note of what bios you had on there too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Would this be the same in the case of B3.0 revision motherboards and the B3.1 revision motherboards?
    Not enough of a difference methinks. B3.1 only has a slightly different USB3 controller.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyres View Post
    Will I need to get a new copy of windows 7 if they end up giving me a new motherboard? And how the hell do I go about backing up data when I can't even turn on the computer? I'm guessing the answers are no because I bought the full version and not the one copy one and the second one is just keep the HDD as no information is stored of the mobo. Just want some clarification.
    My parent sent in their pc with a broken mobo and it came back in out of box condition, windows and all the bloatware was there but everything else was gone, take yur hdd to a friend's house and back up everything you want offa it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy