Grunt
    15+ Year Old Account

Guild seeking advice to improve

So for a bit about us:

-6/7 HM post nerf, was about to be 4/7 HM pre nerf (we were 25 man for the first 2 months of FL, only got to 5/7 normal pre nerf because we were bad, went to 10m due to attendance, been playing catch up of sorts from there)

-Been getting H rag pulls in whenever we have the time to, but our schedules/group composition make it difficult sometimes, our best pull was tonight at 43%, 3 seeds due to having dps dead/still trying to get their timing down for moving on seeds as we do a group up then move strat in p2.

Basically, I feel all of our dpsers, especially myself included, don't play as sound or as strong as our gear implies we should be playing at or putting out on bosses. I know I make mistakes and try different things to see what I can put out more damage on bosses for faster/easier QoL pulls for myself (such as trying to hope incinerate will crit for 30k on rageface and it just likes to hit 299xx like it did 2 weeks ago when we didn't parse), but we are far from perfect.

I come to the RnD forums (long time lurker, post occasionally) because I am not as knowledgeable with my raid members' classes as I can be, though I feel I can be pretty strong with my information at times. I haven't gotten the chance to look at these logs tonight specifically yet, but I come here because I know RnD has done this before. I hope some of the higher level raiders that troll these forums mind taking a look at our logs from tonight and see if there is anything we can do as a group to improve our damage, if any of my raiders in particular may be playing like !@#$, as I'm trying to push us as hard as I can to progress further on heroic ragnaros via any means possible.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/3ghad93g7dgip06q/

These were from tonight specifically. We are not very strong in the dps department, and I accept that, but I feel that there has to be things me, and/or my raiders are doing wrong at the specs they are playing that are simply put, holding us back from performing at a higher level than where we can be. If there are people willing to look at our parse, I'd love any bit of critique, no matter how small or harsh, no matter who it is on the parse, so that my guild can read this thread and take the advice to heart. Whether it be our strat from what you guys can read here, or anything else, I want to hear it.

tldr; 6/7 hm post nerf guild LF advice on how to hit harder, log provided for RnD to come at us and hurt our feelings to get better. Appreciate any advice!

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    After bashing our heads against raggy and noticing the DPS was bad (this is in my guild). I, as raid leader, told people to get their act together and pull better numbers, encourage them to go research and ask questions. Ask people who downed the boss of your particular class, maybe they would free a few minutes. Try research EJ, this forums etc. I always check for any tips on raggy hc or other bosses on this forums, especially since most people are stuck at similar parts that we would be stuck on. You can find neat tricks and I also told people to just play better.

Peoples dps went way up over the past number of weeks on every boss, it was obvious slack to begin with. I now feel I am raiding with a lot better and capable people that I once felt were just not good enough. Talk to them, and tell them PLEASE RESEARCH THEIR CLASS AND ASK QUESTIONS. They will never learn till they do. Viewing parses from your WoL, I notice particularly your ele shammy is pulling 7k less than ours and Im sure his gear isn't much different. Your DK pulls approx 5-6k less than ours (and our frost dk was badddd till he got his act together btw!!! We still think he could prob do a bit more ^^ ) Lock seems bout correct for the length of time in combat, their dps soars high towards the end of the fight I've noticed. Druid seems fine, Hunter is ok maybe push bit more, and Rogue could do another 2-3k.

I'm no expert, Im simply comparing to our members. And telling a story that heck, we made them research and continue to do do, some people know this automatically as a raider, research and improve as much as possible, others are simply lackluster and expect handholding till you shove facts in their face and shout a little. Be mean :P

GL ^^

Grunt
    15+ Year Old Account
    still looking for more opinions

I quit a 6/7 pre-nerf heroic guild over some issues, who was working on Heroic Rag and we were getting to about 2-3% more dps needed to enter phase 4 with only one meteor, to a guild who was 2/7 heroic pre-nerf, 6/7 heroic post nerf the first week of the nerfs.

The difference between the two guilds and it's players was astounding. Such a stark contrast in overall player ability between the two guilds. The new guild that I was in couldn't even get out of phase 1 without someone wiping the raid because they didn't move far enough away from the magma trap and getting knocked into it.

Don't take offense, but this is the issue with the game and the nerfs.

You probably shouldn't even be working on Heroic Ragnaros as most guilds, even amazingly good 6/7 pre-nerf guilds haven't killed him. Those that have, have pulled the boss 200-400 times before a kill. Compare that to the other heroic modes, anywhere from 5-15 pulls before a kill.

The nerfs inflated your sense of progress and ability.

Honestly I probably wouldn't even take the time working on Heroic Ragnaros at this point, as you are probably not going to down him.

10+ Year Old Account
    The DPS is a little low on some encounters from certain individuals, but like you stated, your real problem on the Rag wipes seems to be the ranged not getting over and away, nuke and re-positioning. Just curious, do you perform much better on normal? The mechanic is relatively similar at this stage, just a lot more damage, so I'm curious if your healers just carried the DPS failing to position and nuke back in normal but can't now with the damage ramped up. Personally, I've noticed my guild does a lot worse on encounters we two heal, because the healers are constantly saving them from doing stupid things. I started recording our combat logs just so I could show them how much needless damage they all take. :-P

It's usually the same offenders who stand in things, don't position correctly, or don't nuke the adds when they spawn. As a raid leader, I've found my guys can do much better when you catch them slacking and call them out on it. It's difficult to do when your DPSing because you have so much others things you're trying to keep track of. Using Recount to analyze the encounter (without diving into the combat log too heavily) helps me out a lot during the raid. You can probably watch them all a lot better during the Beth fight. It looks like you switch to healing for that encounter. I've found its much easier to pay attention to everyone when healing or tanking... leading is a pain as DPS.

In a casual raiding guild, its easy for people to get into their routine and not try to step up their game more. Just be patient and remind them that you're doing the highest level of progression raiding, nerf or no-nerf. They can do what they need to do and collect shinies, or be idiots and continue to wipe on the same mechanics over and over.

Deleted
    Im assuming a guild of your caliber knows the standard ways to improve DPS:
    move less (dont run in circles for no reason)
    get an efficient strat (to move less)
    dont slack on prepotting! or other consumables
    know your class in and out, and optimize your gear.

We had a small issue with one of our DPS'ers not too long ago. He simply wasnt pulling his own weight, and carrying 1/6th of your DPS on raggy hardmode isnt gonna work. So we talked to him, found out what the issue was by checking logs, and EJ, and shortly after his DPS went up. He still isnt perfect, but his DPS went up noticely.

Compare your logs to the ones of those players you know are DOING IT RITE! Like for instance some 7/7h guild on your realm. I will eat my hat if they're not doing it right.

Log analysis

I've been analyzing H:Ragnaros logs quite a bit in the past month as we finished progression, and looking at your logs I'd offer you the following advice.

-Don't focus on DPS over an entire attempt. Rag definitely has some dps checks, but they are not easily read on recount. Your wipes are not due to lack of overall dps, but rather avoidable damage causing deaths(which everyone should be getting better at avoiding).

-Have everyone get the same boss mod(and the most recent version). Both DBM and BigWigs have options to have an announcer count down to the seeds landing. For example, have everyone run when the announcer says "One" as it counts down.

-Your group comp for seeds is excellent. Having a boomkin, frost dk and hunter should make the seeds relatively easy. That being said, your frost DK seems to be underperforming on almost every fight in FLs(based on your logs from this week). If he simply spams HB with a full set of runes he should do considerably more damage to the seeds.

-Don't worry about boss DPS in p2 so much. Pushing him in 3 sets of seeds is fine.

-Start worrying about DPS when you can consistently make it to P3 with the scions almost dead and everyone alive. I believe the goal is 235k raid-wide DPS over 90secs, and don't forget that healers and tanks should be contributing to this.

Honestly though, if your guild isn't willing or able to put in 200+ wipes over the course of 4-6weeks, killing Heroic Ragnaros might not be for your guild. You could try going back to T11 to kill Sinestra, Nefarian, and Al'akir for titles. They are significantly easier than Rag, but will still likely represent a challenge for most raiders. I hope I was of some help to your group!