Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    I do not know if it will be visual to the human eye-it is still quite far away, and it is about four football fields across.
    If it's flying between the moon and earth it should be visible to some extent, being as we can see starts that are a LOT further away.

I will have my Telescope up looking for it.
    I love these things.

Hopefully I'll get a proper view on it, because I'm getting tired of looking at Jupiter during the winter :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilcheeks View Post
    I'd call him an idiot, but that would get me infracted for flaming.
    It was a very idiotic thing to say, I'll give him that.

Deleted
    I hope Earth becomes slapped by asteroid and smacks mankind....too much sh** going on. Imagine how far Earth-Sociaty could be tech-wise if they'd work together instead of against each other. Time to free up space for a more "intelligent" species (which might evolve then).

So running numbers through an impact simulator, with the following (typically worst case) assumptions,

Asteroid size: 500m (I know its 400m, but I couldn't pick that size. Besides, 500m is bigger and therefore would hit harder, so a 400m wouldn't be as bad)
    Trajectory: 90 degrees (Straight down, probably worst case scenario)
    Speed: 60km/s (the average is 10-25km/s, so this is MUCH worse)
    Asteroid composition/density: Iron, density of 8,000kg/m^3 (densest option available)
    Impact area composition/density: Igneous rock, density of 2,750kg/m^3 (I found this gave me a bigger crater then other land types, so lets use it!)

It spat out the following:
    Crater depth: 762m (the empire state building is about 450m tall)
    Crater width: ~23.2km

So even under some worst case scenario assumptions, the impact, while damaging, would by no means be an end of the world case. It would destroy ecosystems though.

Quote Originally Posted by XCom110 View Post
    I hope Earth becomes slapped by asteroid and smacks mankind....too much sh** going on. Imagine how far Earth-Sociaty could be tech-wise if they'd work together instead of against each other. Time to free up space for a more "intelligent" species (which might evolve then).
    No, we must keep killing people for what patch of the earth they were born on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    No, we must keep killing people for what patch of the earth they were born on.

Mankind s0xx0rz

10+ Year Old Account
    More doomsday predictions inc.