Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakaya_Kilrogg View Post
    Those are usually normal-mode. The kinds of guilds that go, en-masse, to the PTR are generally the type that are able to stomp most normal-mode encounters in a game.

I think clear in-game cues would be enough, IF the game is designed well for no DBM-type mods. If they want to design encounters that are SO difficult and complex that things like DMB are necessary (but not include in-game cues), then they should allow it. One thing to remember about DMB is this: It might tell you that a boss is about to shoot fire at your face, but it can't make you skilled enough to successfully dodge said fire, while still doing your job.
    You could argue though that it's not really skill, moving when told by a warning, just being awake. Being aware and reacting fast without any huge on screen alert is still no really skill either, it's just being more aware of your surroundings and making sure you are looking for something coming.

Boss Mods aren't necessary, they can be easily limited in functionality, so really the point is this: Do you hate Boss Mods that much that you want not to have any addons at all for anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    You could argue though that it's not really skill, moving when told by a warning, just being awake. Being aware and reacting fast without any huge on screen alert is still no really skill either, it's just being more aware of your surroundings and making sure you are looking for something coming.

Boss Mods aren't necessary, they can be easily limited in functionality, so really the point is this: Do you hate Boss Mods that much that you want not to have any addons at all for anyone?
    I agree. No amount of addons can give you "skill"...WoW is proof of that...

Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post

You could argue that, however.. you missed the last part of my point. "It might tell you that a boss is about to shoot fire at your face, but it can't make you skilled enough to successfully dodge said fire, while still doing your job." A monkey can be trained to turn a character and move it out of fire, but can it keep up it's rotation? Can it strafe and fire? Can it throw instant-heals on the move? Drag a mob so that DPS wouldn't have to stand in the fire to hit it?

For easy fights, it's a non-issue. For complex fights, you do need cues, one way or another. Either that, or the "punishment" for being hit for a few seconds as you move out of the way would have to be relatively small.

For example: Big huge robot with a laser on it's chest shoots a beam at someone targeted at random.
    1. In-game cue - The disk on it's chest would start to glow, and you'd see an emote "Big Huge Robot locks onto <player name>".
    2. DBM cue - "Big Huge Robot is going to fire it's pew pew laser in 5 seconds!"
    3. Forgiving laser - No glow, no warning, Big Huge Robot simply turns and fires, but the damage isn't enough to kill unless you keep standing there, so you have to get out of it, but you have enough time to do so.
    4. Unforgiving laser of DEATH - No glow, no warning, Big Huge Robot simply turns and fires, but this time, whoever's hit is pretty much completely eradicated.

Now, in those scenarios, I can live with 1, 2, or 3. 1 or 2 would be ideal, 3 would be kinda weak. I'd like to see a mixture of 1 and 4, where you get a warning and a chance to react, but if you fail, you get annihilated. 4 would just be downright sadistic, if you couldn't even plan for it and didn't have a way to move. All-in-all, it's going to come down to how complex they want the fights to be. If they want to bring challenge, difficulty, and complexity, I think we'll see some form of boss-mod type thing, either built-in or player-made. Otherwise, it'll come down to a lot of luck and RNG to win, or people banging their heads against a wall.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

Well yeah, this was my point - the game itself can offer plenty warning over things that need warning, and considering the game is far more detailed than WoW, I mean that in that there are far more animations and the models themselves are more detailed - both of these allow more ways to convey information to the player, so it should be easier to understand in TOR when something is coming.