Thread: The UFC Thread

Page 5 of 197 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I walked out of the room in the middle of round 3 miller vs bisping. Miller's cardio was disgusting. I don't think he even trained for this fight. I've seen him go to war with guys and still be able to fight. This was just... bad. I was looking forward to seeing Mayhem fight, too. ó_ò

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya that was really disappointing.

Anyone else excited for next week's card? I almost wanna get goosebumps when I imagine the styles interacting in the Jones vs Machida fight. Almost. Both Nogs on one card is kind of a treat, too :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I am very excited for UFC 140 as well! Jones vs Machida and Hominick vs Jung are going to be good fights. Having both the Nogueira brothers on the same card truly is a treat imo.

Well, if Mayhem gets cut after that performance (I think he should get one more shot, make Mayhem vs. Wandy), he has no one to blame but himself. Anyone else feel like Bisping gets guarded from the top 5 at 185 since getting shit on by Hendo? Bisping wants a title shot, I say give it to him, he has nothing for Anderson and will get KO'd within the first 2 rounds. Otherwise, I would like to see him vs. Palhares, but something makes me think Palhares is in the UFC doghouse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I totally agree that there is no excuse for Mayhem's performance and good for him for not making excuses. I do think Mayhem should get once more chance but i think Dana White and Joe Silva should have Mayhem fight someone much lower down on the ladder if he does get another chance in the UFC. While Wandy's chin isn't very strong anymore he is a good fighter (though nowhere near the beast of a fighter he once was) and i firmly believe he could beat miller fairly easily. Miller needs a fairly easy fight to get some momentum going.

It does feel like the UFC is keeping Bisping out of the top 5 at MW. I do not like Bisping because i think he is disrespectful but he should not be kept back by the UFC imo. I think that Bisping should get the loser of Munoz vs Sonnen and then if Bisping were to win that fight then he should get a shot at the title, that is just my personal opinion, but i do think it would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pOO flinger View Post
    I totally agree that there is no excuse for Mayhem's performance and good for him for not making excuses. I do think Mayhem should get once more chance but i think Dana White and Joe Silva should have Mayhem fight someone much lower down on the ladder if he does get another chance in the UFC. While Wandy's chin isn't very strong anymore he is a good fighter (though nowhere near the beast of a fighter he once was) and i firmly believe he could beat miller fairly easily. Miller needs a fairly easy fight to get some momentum going.

It does feel like the UFC is keeping Bisping out of the top 5 at MW. I do not like Bisping because i think he is disrespectful but he should not be kept back by the UFC imo. I think that Bisping should get the loser of Munoz vs Sonnen and then if Bisping were to win that fight then he should get a shot at the title, that is just my personal opinion, but i do think it would make sense.
    Only reason I say Wandy is because Miller is one MW who doesn't have the power to KO him. lol I'm a fan of Mayhem, and I was pretty disappointed at his performance, but yeah I agree if he does stick around he needs a confidence booster.

I honestly think the UFC has coddled Bisping because he is one of the few standout British fighters when the UFC was trying to break into the UK scene. Depending on how the coming weeks go I could see him fighting the winner of Belfort v. Anthony Johnson for the contender spot. I believe the winner of Munoz v. Sonnen will be the next fighter to face Anderson.

On second thought, Tim Kennedy is coming over from Strikeforce and I'd like to see how Bisping would do against him.

---------- Post added 2011-12-04 at 09:30 PM ----------

I'm interested in hearing the opinions on fellow MMA fans regarding the fight card for UFC on Fox 2. So far, we have Sonnen v. Munoz, and Davis v. Evans. The reason I find this curious is how Dana White basically lambasted critics of the first UFC on Fox between Cain v. JDS, saying that viewers would need to be eased into the sport of MMA, apparently by short matches ending in KOs or TKOs. I can only assume this is because casual fans view these type of fights as more exciting. While I usually defend White and the UFC I am a bit confused on how two fights, which have the capacity to be conducted for the majority of the fight on the ground, would be "easing" viewers into mainstream acceptance of MMA. It's no secret that casual fans usually don't take to ground battles favorably.
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 2011-12-05 at 02:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am also a big fan of Miller and Wandy (clearly lol). Giving Miller a confidence booster fight would be a good decision by Dana and Joe ad i think miller just needs a fight or two just to get back into the game and get rid of all that ring rust.

Having Bisping fight the winner of Belfort vs Johnson or the loser of Sonnen vs Munoz would be a good decision by the UFC. If Bisping were to fight the winner of Belfort vs Johnson or the loser of Sonnen vs Munoz and win then i say he should get a shot at the winner of Anderson Silva's title fight, wheather it be Anderson Silva, Sonnen, or Munoz.

---------- Post added 2011-12-04 at 10:19 PM ----------

I think UFC on Fox 2 should be a decent card for people new to MMA. Dana cant just ease new fans into MMA with 64 second KO's forever, people need to learn about all the aspects of the sport sometime, what better way to do that than to throw all different types of fights on free tv with some intelligent comments from Joe Rogan explaining what the fuck is going on. New fans need to see everything and they need to have it explained so they can be educated, the fans need to be shown everything and not have quick fights cherry picked for them. I am not bashing the Dos Santos vs Velasquez fight and i totally enjoyed it. I think Dana White is scared of showing bad ass wars of attrition on free tv just because of the critics. Not everyone agrees with MMA, lots of people are going to hate it, that's life. Instead of holding back, Dana needs to show the critics and people new to MMA everything and educate them. Educate the critics. Make them understand.

I was once new to MMA many years ago, i didn't understand shit about the sport, i thought people were just thrown into a ring and fought until one of them couldn't fight anymore. I used to think ground battles were boring, but the more i watched, the more i listened, the more i learned and the more i appreciated the sport and all of its different aspects. I am now an MMA fanatic and i love watching any MMA fight i can find on tv. Now there is nothing more i love than MMA.

MMA is an incredible sport and the whole world needs to see what its about.

I think there is a chance that the wrestling of Evans and Davis could possibly cancel out and lead to a stand up battle. Though Munoz is a wrestler his style is more of a ground and pound, pretty vicious GnP if you ask me, and Sonnen is a wrestler as well but is a pretty damn powerful dude who can make fights interesting (but he is still a douchebag lol). While new and casual fans don't take too well to ground battles i personally think that people would enjoy a decently paced ground and pound battle or a good stand up fight. I think a Jiu Jitsu submission fight would probably turn fans off a bit. Again, these are just my personal opnions and i could be way off lol.

I am just happy that the UFC/MMA has made it to network television, and while Dana White hasn't always made the best decisions, he and the Fertitta brothers took a sport that was pretty much dead and brought it to where it is today. It is astonishing what Dana and the Fertittas have done with MMA in such a short time and in the end all that hard work from the UFC owners, Fighters, and fans is going to pay off big time!

I am proud to be an MMA fan, I am proud to have witness this sports biggest legends fight in their prime and make history, I am proud to be lucky enough to witness this sports amazing growth into the mainstream, I am proud to be an MMA fan!

Sorry, no TL;DR for that massive wall of text.
    Last edited by pOO flinger; 2011-12-05 at 05:22 PM.

lol This discussion of fights that would be more exciting for the casual fan made the opposite thing come to mind. Jon Fitch vs Jon Fitch would probably make the Fox executives kick the UFC back to Spike in a heart beat. Now to be serious...

Sonnen Vs Munoz: This could be a solid fight. I really want Munoz to win this but I'm sure it'd be a war. Sonnen loses by triangle JK :P

It's kinda sad how things have gone for Rashad recently. Playing musical injuries with Jon Jones and now he's gonna fight a very hungry up and comer like Phil Davis before his title shot. I think Phil puts on a decent pace and is somewhat of a meat grinder. No matter where this fight goes it'll be exciting.

Even if both of these fights went to decision I'm pretty sure even a person new to mma will respect this sport and really enjoy the entire event.

IMO if you wanna really get some new fans put 2 fights including Anderson Silva and Urijah Faber on the card for a Fox event. Two fighters who could put on a dynamic display of martial arts prowess and skill. lol and please don't misconstrue that with thinking I meant them fighting each other and 2nd fight with two random guys.

What do YOU think would be the exciting fights the UFC needs to put on Fox to bring in a ton of new viewers?

I made another post in this thread but nothing is showing

I just seen that Bisping v. Maia will also be on the UFC on FOX 2 card. Maia's standup is ever improving but I think Bisping will pick him apart, unless Maia can get him down via inside leg trip (like when he fought Sonnen) or if he can catch him like he did against Munoz in the first round of their fight and pounce on him and put him away. I'll be rooting for Maia regardless.

I agree any match has the potential to be exciting (I certainly didn't think Maynard v. Edgar 2 was going to be anything special - boy was I wrong), but with so many wrestlers there is a chance the matches -could- turn into 3-5 round takedown fests (not that I mind watching that as I wrestled in highschool). I figured they would have put Belfort v. Johnson or something with a greater potential to end violently on the Fox cards.

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 03:35 PM ----------

Dana just announced GSP is out with a blown ACL. Condit v. Diaz for interim belt. I am heavily disappointed now, but nevertheless, War Natural Born Killer!!

This very much could be a career defining/ending injury for GSP. Who knows if he'll ever be the same? An ACL injury is nasty, that goes without saying.
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 2011-12-07 at 08:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya that's too bad. Hopefully that ACL injury won't cause GSP problems for his future fights. I hope Condit knocks Diaz the fuck out lol.

There sure have been alot of fighter injuries this year.

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 04:50 PM ----------

Wow, Spike is showing UFC Unleashed until like 3:00 am! thanks for the early Christmas present Spike!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll just leave this here

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread needs more activity.

UFC 140 tonight!
    Last edited by pOO flinger; 2011-12-10 at 11:06 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Props to the Korean Zombie for winning in SEVEN seconds. That fight wasn't nearly as exciting as I was hoping.

I thought Big Nog had that in the bag. Mir looked out, but Nog shouldn't have gotten overanxious and just kept laying on the punches.

Also, I love how Rogan ignores Barnett and Werdum when talking about premiere HW grapplers.

Props to Bones Jones, but I still don't like him. I hope Hendo gets the next shot.

Despite all that I'm happy merely because Jung beat Hominick when Hominick was a -500 favorite in that fight, and I got to see Lil Nog put the stamp on Tito.
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 2011-12-11 at 04:42 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Happy with everything tonight, I was on my feet when Shogun punched Machida's ticket, watching Jones choke him was icing on the cake.
    Next up for Jones will end up being the Rashad/Davis winner I believe.

Big fan of both Mir and Nog so was a little win-win for me. Mir looked slow as fuck on his feet mind.

Deleted
    Great card I thought Jones was a bit too confident when he was walking out,and when Machida started connecting I was like "ahhh this is it Jones got to cocky" but I was wrong.He really does have the skills to back up the confidence.Also that arm break by Mir looked incredibly painful.

Watching Mir break that arm was rough. Awesome Main Event and the Korean Zombie is such a cool nickname.

10+ Year Old Account
    man 139 and 140 were both homeruns, nice to see good fights again