Thread: The UFC Thread

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    i hope diaz gets the title today. has fight of the year all over it.
    Last edited by siafu; 2012-12-08 at 07:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    War Diaz, Shogun, and Penn!!!!

Last edited by pOO flinger; 2012-12-08 at 08:20 PM.

So did Henderson really have a toothpick in his mouth the whole fight?
    Last edited by xrayEU; 2012-12-10 at 08:00 AM.

Great card, i wish they would do these more often. The black guy who does the football seems kinda stiff, they could probably do away with that 3 man table and leave up to rogan and goldberg like they do at ufc ppv's.

Benson should be moving up in the rankings after that fight, ive never seen someone dominate a diaz like that.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fox production kinda makes me mad, making it look like Sunday afternoons. Benson was dominant, I expected it. Shogun throws the same punch for 3 straight rounds, was pretty funny to watch actually. Rory embarrassed BJ but all the shit talking he was doing midfight is kinda lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Fox production kinda makes me mad, making it look like Sunday afternoons. Benson was dominant, I expected it. Shogun throws the same punch for 3 straight rounds, was pretty funny to watch actually. Rory embarrassed BJ but all the shit talking he was doing midfight is kinda lame.
    Yeah when did Shogun trade in his stellar Muay Thai to just headhunt for 3 rounds with his right? I think the years of battles have taken their toll. I didn't see anything in Goose's performance that would indicate he stands a remote chance at beating Jones.

I hope Penn calls it quits. I've no interest in seeing him at WW.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-fox...4434--mma.html

Benson Henderson: $78,000 (includes $39,000 win bonus)
    def. Nate Diaz: $50,000

Nate got 50k for the fight, benson got 39k for the fight. How does this make sense? Penn and rua put on the worst fights and they made the most, looked almost like they took the fights out of shape to get a purse 3x the champ.

Does anyone understand how this works?

21k for rory while penn made 150k, i dont think penn was 7 times better
    Last edited by chadwix; 2012-12-14 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-fox...4434--mma.html

Benson Henderson: $78,000 (includes $39,000 win bonus)
    def. Nate Diaz: $50,000

Nate got 50k for the fight, benson got 39k for the fight. How does this make sense? Penn and rua put on the worst fights and they made the most, looked almost like they took the fights out of shape to get a purse 3x the champ.

Does anyone understand how this works?

21k for rory while penn made 150k, i dont think penn was 7 times better
    But Penn probably brought 7 times more attention to the event than Rory did.. It's all about how famous and how much attention they bring to the event.
    People like to see badboys like the Diaz brothers, they bring a lot of viewers as well, and in the end it's just about business.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/georges...8995--mma.html

Apparently true, nick diaz gets a title shot after losing and being suspended over hendricks.

Should be a great fight though

10+ Year Old Account
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/georges...8995--mma.html

Apparently true, nick diaz gets a title shot after losing and being suspended over hendricks.

Should be a great fight though
    The build-up to the fight might be something spectacular, but i don't see how Nick can pose any sort of threat against GSP. And i really do like Nick. Hendricks should've gotten the fight, but i guess that Diaz generates more interest. Him and GSP have been in a "feud" for quite some time now. Hopefully, Hendricks will get past Ellenberger and get the title shot after that (unless, by some miracle of god, UFC finally manages to book GSP vs Anderson).

We'll also get to see the rematch between Rory and Condit on that same card. It's basically the elite fighters of WW fighting each other on the same night. Good stuff!

On the topic of fighter pay, the official pay isn't really telling us all that much. The UFC has been known to hand out hidden bonuses to fighters, the official pay is just whatever money was on the contract when the fighter signed it.

How do you guys feel about JDS vs Cain btw?
    "Should i trust this fart?"-Brian Redban

We'll see if Nick actually makes the pressers this time. Not counting on this fight happening until they're standing in the ring apart from one another. But yeah, Nick offers nothing for GSP but a potentially larger payday.

I'm a fan of both guys but I think JDS beats Cain, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Facedesk View Post
    How do you guys feel about JDS vs Cain btw?
    I consider this their first fight. Jds knocked him out with a blow to the back of the head, unfortunately it was fox1 and they didnt wanna make a mess out of it.

I consider this their first fight. Jds knocked him out with a blow to the back of the head, unfortunately it was fox1 and they didnt wanna make a mess out of it.
    Do you mean the punch JDS landed standing, or the follow up ones on the ground? All look to the side of the head to me:

Last edited by nbm02ss; 2012-12-28 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    Do you mean the punch JDS landed standing, or the follow up ones on the ground? All look to the side of the head to me:

[video=youtube_share;IK6H4ievsiQ]http://youtu.be/IK6H4ievsiQ?t=3m55video]
    The punch standing, most of his hand is behind cains ear. The ear is the center of the head so anything behind the ear is the back of the head. Look at 3:57, jds hand slides up the back of his skull on the follow through.

The punch standing, most of his hand is behind cains ear. The ear is the center of the head so anything behind the ear is the back of the head. Look at 3:57, jds hand slides up the back of his skull on the follow through.
    Shots behind the ear that are not in the mohawk area are perfectly legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Imgur View Post
    Shots behind the ear that are not in the mohawk area are perfectly legal.
    If someone dropped hammer fists on someone shooting in the same location as the punch they would be warned. Maybe cain turning his head made it a no call.

Havent heard the mohawk area before, adds clarity to the grey area.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pumped for that fight, rarely we get good heavy weight fights anymore. Should be a beaut.

If someone dropped hammer fists on someone shooting in the same location as the punch they would be warned. Maybe cain turning his head made it a no call.

Havent heard the mohawk area before, adds clarity to the grey area.
    I think, even then, it might be allowable. The thing is, hammer fists are done in bunches and are sloppy which makes it much easier to accidentally hit someone in the mohawk area, compared to a single and more accurate punch.

some more clarification on the mohawk thing.
    Deliberate strikes to the spine or the back of the head.
    No direct striking attacks are allowed to the spine or the back of the head crown of the head, centerline of the skull, into the spine, down to the tailbone. A direct strike is an aimed and executed attack to the area. The back of the head is considered from the crown of the head down the centerline of the skull into the spine, with a 1 inch variance to each side, similar to a Mohawk haircut. Strikes that are thrown to areas behind the ears but not within the Mohawk limitation are legal strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Pumped for that fight, rarely we get good heavy weight fights anymore. Should be a beaut.
    Hopefully it lasts longer than their last fight.
    Last edited by Imgur; 2012-12-29 at 12:45 AM.

There will be a 3. I don't think it'll be hard for JDS to work his way back up.

I'm not surprised Cain won, but I wasn't expecting it to be that one sided.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was a bit disappointed when I heard that JDS lost, but I was really bummed when I watched the post fight interviews and heard all the people booing him. What a sad crowd.