Thread: The UFC Thread

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Weidman was just way too huge, Vitor was trapped down there

Size doesn't matter in regards to Weidman passing guard and getting full mount that easily. Weidman is much bigger than Jacare but you'll never see Weidman dare take Jacare down like that. Jacare would embarrass him so bad Matt Serra would close his gym.

- - - Updated - - -

Watch Jake Shields roll with Rafael Mendes. That's what would happen on the ground between Jacare and Weidman.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well that was a bit anti-climactic but I suppose I was on such a high from the AA fight earlier. Rumble gassed, who's surprised here? Didn't he have a bit of a conditioning problem earlier in his career?

Cormier broke AJ down. He was defeated before the 3rd even started.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Well that was a bit anti-climactic but I suppose I was on such a high from the AA fight earlier. Rumble gassed, who's surprised here? Didn't he have a bit of a conditioning problem earlier in his career?
    Yup. He's never been known for his gas tank. If he can't be a bully then he fades. You'd think not having to cut an insane amount of weight anymore would help with that, but apparently not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    its not bullshit, some of the sponsors Dana White listed aren't even real. Brendan said hes never heard of them.
    I'm actually not a fan of the "Reebok Only" sponsorship idea but I also just don't believe all these fighters going "Oh yeah, I made 6 figures from sponsors". There are definitely fighters that make big money from them but a guy isn't even in the top 15 of his division (a division that is insanely shallow to begin with) saying hes losing out on over $90,000 in sponsorship money (minimum) just just doesn't sit right with me. I have no doubt fighters will lose money in the short term, and that was said before the #'s were even released, but I also think there are people blowing it a bit out of proportion as well. Only time will tell I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Livevil View Post
    Even fighters way below the UFC level, like Askren, have claimed to make 100k from sponsors alone. White is just so full of shit sometimes, it's disgusting. He would rather just throw dirt and trashtalk his fighter in order to defend the already much controversial reebok deal.
    Ben Askren was a champion in the 2nd largest MMA organization in the world....Brendan Schaub is a guy that isn't top 15 in the UFCs shallowest mens division (other than maybe Flyweight). I actually think Ben Askren is a giant piece of shit with the way he acts but if nothing else he is very marketable and is a very charismatic guy at times, very similar to Chael Sonnen, and he can sell himself. Schaub can't. I wholeheartedly believe that Askren made $100k from sponsors...I don't believe Schaub did.

--

On another note: That Cerrone fight...oh boy. If that doesn't get him a title shot I don't know what the fuck will.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post

Ben Askren was a champion in the 2nd largest MMA organization in the world....Brendan Schaub is a guy that isn't top 15 in the UFCs shallowest mens division (other than maybe Flyweight). I actually think Ben Askren is a giant piece of shit with the way he acts but if nothing else he is very marketable and is a very charismatic guy at times, very similar to Chael Sonnen, and he can sell himself. Schaub can't. I wholeheartedly believe that Askren made $100k from sponsors...I don't believe Schaub did.
    Yeah, he was the champion in the 3rd or 4th promotion back then(Strikeforce was the second and WSOF was in its early beginnings). Honestly, if you ask me, that means nothing. Shaub on the other hand is a TUF alumni and finalist, which also happened to be one of the most memorable and exciting seasons ever. While not a top 15 fighter in terms of skills, he is known, he has coverage, he does that podcast thing with Rogan, you cant just say he isnt marketable.

Quote Originally Posted by Livevil View Post
    Yeah, he was the champion in the 3rd or 4th promotion back then(Strikeforce was the second and WSOF was in its early beginnings). Honestly, if you ask me, that means nothing. Shaub on the other hand is a TUF alumni and finalist, which also happened to be one of the most memorable and exciting seasons ever. While not a top 15 fighter in terms of skills, he is known, he has coverage, he does that podcast thing with Rogan, you cant just say he isnt marketable.
    He did the Joe Rogan Experience Podcast once. Also, 3rd or 4th promotion? He was the Bellator champion until very recently when he vacated his belt and went to One FC where they gave him reportedly absurd amounts of $. WSOF to this day is still #3 (although their future does look good and I really like how they are seemingly not total fuckwads to their fighters) and he was a Bellator champ even after Strikeforce went belly up. I personally thought TuF season 10 was one of the least entertaining seasons to date and the only thing that made it at all entertaining was the fact that Rampage and Evans hated each other so much. Sure, Roy Nelson, Mitrione, and Schaub came out of that season but I wouldn't really consider the season a success because of it. None of those are legitimate contenders and the increased viewership came down to Kimbo Slice being walked around like a tamed lion. It was a nice novelty season as far as I am concerned and had it not been for Kimbo Slice being there it would probably have been a big flop.

Schaub has one of the most popular podcast. He has the fighter and the kid. He makes way more from the podcast than he does fighting in the UFC. He's done JRE many times, not just once. He does the fight companion podcast with Joe, Eddie Bravo, Bryan Callen, and a few other UFC fighters have done it. I think Ian McCall did one.

Also, Schaub isn't a HW anymore. He is dropping down to LHW.

Also, Schaub isn't a HW anymore. He is dropping down to LHW.
    Yeah I'm aware but he hasn't technically fought @ 205 yet so I'm still kinda counting him as a HW pretty much.

On another note, did anyone catch that post fight presser with DC & Bader? Solid gold.

Bader doesn't stand a chance in that fight.

I'm curious as to why people think Conor McGregor is going to beat Jose Aldo?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    because these commercials are screaming at us for the last however many months hyping this up, Aldo is gonna eat him alive.

I think he's got a shot, but I'd figure something like -400/+380 odds (haven't checked), so Conor should be a clear underdog in the fight. Everyones the champ, until they're not. Ask Silva how he feels. I just hope it's a good 4-5 round match and not a 1 round smashing like Weidman/Belfort.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what would happen on the ground between Jacare and Weidman.
    How long is Jacare out for? Instead of the debate about who should get Weidman next, I think Jacare and Rockhold should just get it on to determine who gets Weidman. Jacare needs that rematch.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Jacare should be back for a fight in sept, Dana White said that Jacare was most likely up next.

Schaub was on the JRE recently where he brought in his tax documents from the all the sponsors he was losing to the Reebok deal. He did in fact ( Unless Joe Rogan is lying for him ) make well over 100k just from them. Dana White called BS on Schaub, so Schaub went on and showed it. He wouldn't allow Joe to tell the listeners/viewers the actual number but just allowed him to read and see for himself.

Connor stands a very good chance at dethroning Aldo. He has the skillset to stand and trade, he has the confidence, and he has the power. I know a lot of people don't respect Denis Siver that much, but he is/was a very successful kick-boxer prior to UFC. The way he beat Siver, Poirier, and Halloway(who just destroyed Cub Swanson), he has a very good shot. Aldo allows too many fighters to get close and initiate contact, he did it with Frankie, and in the second fight with Mendes. The Mendes fight was super close, and Mednes tagged Aldo a few times even dropped him once. I'd wager to say Connor has quite a bit more power in his punches than Mendes, if he is allowed to do similar things. I wouldn't be surprised, if Aldo gets upset.

Side note: I also think Connor is in Jose's head a bit. All the bs and disrespectful antics has to have him pissed off.

Cain got tapped.. ha.

Werdum wanted it more.

I'm really excited to see Jedrzejczyk fight this weekend. I love her striking. Sucks that even if she dominates Strawweight she probably shouldn't fight Rhonda.

Rousey is just... I mean, sometimes someone just gets caught. It happens. Rhonda just eats people.

The weight difference would be too much for them to fight.

Werdum wanted it more.
    Werdum took the fight serious, Cain did not. Werdum was in Mexico for like 3 months for his entire fight camp as he knew that the altitude would be an issue. Cain showed up 2 weeks before the fight and that was only after his coach pretty much begged him as he was only going to head up 1 week before the fight. I'm not sure if Cain just thought he was invincible or what but that was an insanely stupid thing to do.

On another note UFC 189....please come faster July 11th. In my eyes 2 of the best title fights of the year and we get to see Swick return which will be nice as he's been away for quite some time now.

Yeah I dont know what he was thinking. That altitude difference is huge.