Page 1 of 26
... LastLast
    Deleted

How to deal with a dps that pulls in 5mans as tank.

The art of it is subtle because you don't want to aggravate anyone that doesn't deserve it. First of all, you do not immediately taunt off such a guy, that's clearly the problem. It's like rewarding a little kid that does a mistake by always correcting it yourself. No, you will have to let him take some damage. But here's the delicate thing. You don't want to kill the healer or anyone else. So, you must be ready to either taunt off the healer or agree with the healer with an alternative course of action. In an ideal situation what's going on is that you let the dps go to 10% to 1% health without damaging anyone else in the group. It's like a punishment without being Capital yet. For the first or 2nd offense it's probably ideal not to kill the dps. But if the person appears to be a jackass, it might be optimal to let him die and not res at all. That's pretty cool. Leaving someone behind dead that did something nasty is probably the best thing that usually happens in such instances.

Then there's kick. But it might not work if you want to go fast (because of the 'too soon after combat'). Also he may pull on purpose to avoid that specifically, or too many kicks may have occurred etc.

Dont worry you'll have all the time to complain in MoP. I dont have the link but they said they wanted Heroic Dungeons to be the same difficulty as in WotLK which measn as a Fury Warrior i can tank things without a problem no need for a slow tank just need warm bodys that every so often throw out dps. Enjoy MoP if it comes to that because i do .

Iceblock, lol.
    Congratulations, your mind has been expanded.

Deleted
    Just sit there and watch the guy that pulled die, then laugh, then taunt the mobs and get on with the Dungeon.

/Sigh why is so hard to press taunt??? when i tank ZG/ZA and i see dps pull i just taunt the mob no big deal. If they pull entire packs just use righteous defense and pop a CD. It's actually amusing and spices the dungeons up sort of a challenge to me to not let him die when hes pulling ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    i as a tank am usually waiting for the rest of the group

esp in ZA where i love to get the mount in pugs ^^
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

10+ Year Old Account
    Pull faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    honestly.. if it's not causing problems. why be a dick about dps pulling? if it is.. then that's another story

Deleted
    missdirecting tank ftw

I like the DPS in here pretending to be tanks, just to try and make tanks think asshole behaviour is acceptable. It isn't.

Wait for the tank to pull, that way they have the resources to handle everything without spending the first 20 seconds of every shitty trashpack picking things off everyone, trying to get rage. Here is our rules.

They do it once, taunt.
    They do it twice, taunt and say "let the tank pull please".
    They do it 3 times, let them die and kick them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 15davanz View Post
    /Sigh why is so hard to press taunt???
    Why is it so hard to do your job properly and watch your own aggro?

10+ Year Old Account
    Let them pull and die. Stand there and make sure they see you stand there not picking the mobs up.
    As a mage when I pull agro and I can't handle it hitting me I know to hit Mirror Image or Invs and learn to watch agro.
    As an alt tank druid I will let you know and I will mock you for it when it happens.

lol he said 5 mans if you read the title. Cause ZG/ZA is serious business!

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post
    Pull faster.
    If DPS are running ahead of you and pulling mobs, then you need to pull faster.
    If DPS are pulling agro off of you, you need to tank better.

I never have problems with the DPS because I keep a good pace and I'm good at my job.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a warrior tank, I usually let the first 3 or 4 pulls slip by. Then I say something in party chat. I have a macro that marks cc targets for various forms of cc and ends with "Let the tank do the pulling when possible! Win!"

If this still doesn't work, I stop pulling and type out an essay in party chat trying to explain why I need to be pulling and not the dps illustrating how rage works for me and if I don't get hit, the healer will more than likely die. Also it's harder to contain the mobs in one place. I've only gotten here 5-6 times.

If that still doesn't work, I let the dps die: Rend one target and let the others kill the dps then TClap as soon as he dies. I've only had to deal with this once. the dps was the healer's guildie so he kept spam healing him, in which case it was frustrating for me to continue, so I killed one boss and left the dungeon

If it's single target, good luck keeping threat off me

Let him die, and move on.

The number of dps who have no concept of threat management, or even better, how to focus the same mob the tank is on, is staggering.... you're all part of the reason that dps has the stereotype that it does.

Yea let the DPS pull so they die so the healer has to waste time to rez them. Genius idea! Lets actually use our brains here if you have a high dpser and you're the general bad/average tank in the LFD aggro is going to be an issue. Be happy hes carrying your group. People complain they pull aggro then people complain DPS dont do enough dps. When im doing 35k plus on bosses no one complains because they know im carrying the group and rather have me than someone who is doing 6k.

---------- Post added 2011-10-28 at 10:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Krooner View Post
    As a warrior tank, I usually let the first 3 or 4 pulls slip by. Then I say something in party chat. I have a macro that marks cc targets for various forms of cc and ends with "Let the tank do the pulling when possible! Win!"

If this still doesn't work, I stop pulling and type out an essay in party chat trying to explain why I need to be pulling and not the dps illustrating how rage works for me and if I don't get hit, the healer will more than likely die. Also it's harder to contain the mobs in one place. I've only gotten here 5-6 times.

If that still doesn't work, I let the dps die: Rend one target and let the others kill the dps then TClap as soon as he dies. I've only had to deal with this once. the dps was the healer's guildie so he kept spam healing him, in which case it was frustrating for me to continue, so I killed one boss and left the dungeon

If it's single target, good luck keeping threat off me
    CC doesnt exist anymore Blizzard failed on that part. So thats a waste of time along with that essay that theres to aggravate everyone not just that on dpser.

I think the real problem is you weren't pulling fast enough. PULL FASTER!!!

(my tank, healing philosophy is if you pulled it and you're not the tank you better be able to tank and heal yourself)

/Sigh why is so hard to press taunt??? when i tank ZG/ZA and i see dps pull i just taunt the mob no big deal. If they pull entire packs just use righteous defense and pop a CD.
    Erm... you do know there's other tanks out there, not just paladins right? It's actually quite anoying for warriors when the dps pull, especially if you have no rage. Often you miss your charge as well so it will take at least 2 GCD's to get any threat on the adds as you need to pop Shout+Rend(optional)+Thunder Clap. So yea, i usually let the dps that pulled die and go on with it like nothing happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorguy View Post
    Yea let the DPS pull so they die so the healer has to waste time to rez them. Genius idea! Lets actually use our brains here if you have a high dpser and you're the general bad/average tank in the LFD aggro is going to be an issue. Be happy hes carrying your group
    I'd ask why the healer is wasting mana rezzing such a player at all. He can run back. Also, a competent dps can and will adjust their play to work with a tank that they outgear. Put the meter away, because absolutely no one cares about it but you.

Quote Originally Posted by Warriorguy View Post
    CC doesnt exist anymore Blizzard failed on that part. So thats a waste of time along with that essay that theres to aggravate everyone not just that on dpser.
    CC exists when you don't outgear content. So yeah, no.