10+ Year Old Account

Best GPU for price range

Okay so here soon I'm making a 2600k build with a z68 capable of CF/SLI and I'm just curious as to the best GPU for a 200-300 dollar price range. I'm buying all the parts from a local computer store and getting a pricecut from a friend and their GPU selection is slightly limited for higher end cards. I'll most likely be gaming hard with GW2/D3 and maybe games like BF3, so is it best just going with a 2gb 6950 or are there cards I could CF/SLI for higher performance than 1 card?

Deleted
    go for the 2500k and invest more on the gpu.
    I know I know 7 is 2 numbers up from 5 , but trust me ... 2600k users are just ... wrong ... or have too much money to spare. Especially in gaming since i5 2500k = i7 2600k in almost every game.
    Get the i5 2500k.

it well give you more choices in what gpu to get .

Sli/crossfire can give you some advantages , but there are still games that don't take full advantage of them.

with the extra money you get from the 2500k you can go for 6870 crossfire or similar choices.
    Last edited by mmocda69302ff9; 2011-10-28 at 04:16 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Need to know your power supply before we can give you a clear cut recommendation. However in that price range the Radeon HD6950 2GB is the best card for your buck. If you are OK with going over $300 then a CF Radeon HD6870 would outperform the single HD6950. The other option is the single HD6950 with the plan to CF it down the road.

10+ Year Old Account
    Freetobe I understand the 2500k is superior or equal in gaming however I'm a CSE major so I want the raw processing power, and the store I'm buying from is giving 100 off my MB with the 2600k, so thanks for the advice but please stick to the question.

Culadin my PSU will be adjusted to whatever card I buy, probably a 750 gold with CF/SLI capabilities regardless of if I do it now or later. I figured the HD6950 would be the best choice.

Does anyone know of when the next-gen cards are scheduled to be shipped by nvidia or ati

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Freetobe I understand the 2500k is superior or equal in gaming however I'm a CSE major so I want the raw processing power, and the store I'm buying from is giving 100 off my MB with the 2600k, so thanks for the advice but please stick to the question.

Culadin my PSU will be adjusted to whatever card I buy, probably a 750 gold with CF/SLI capabilities regardless of if I do it now or later. I figured the HD6950 would be the best choice.

Does anyone know of when the next-gen cards are scheduled to be shipped by nvidia or ati
    Rumor has it that AMD is shipping the die shrink version of current GPUs by year's end. This will be on a 28nm die and will be the 7800 series, the prices should be about what they were when the 6800 series launched (7850 will be stronger than 6950 and 7870 will be stronger than 6970, but both will consume less power and run cooler )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freetobe View Post
    I know I know 7 is 2 numbers up from 5 , but trust me ... 2600k users are just ... wrong ... or have too much money to spare. Especially in gaming since i5 2500k = i7 2600k in almost every game.
    Get the i5 2500k.

it well give you more choices in what gpu to get .

Sli/crossfire can give you some advantages , but there are still games that don't take full advantage of them.

with the extra money you get from the 2500k you can go for 6870 crossfire or similar choices.
    Especially when someone has an i7 and a 560 ti, just wrong xD.
    I am surprised there isn't more talk about the i7 2700k though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep in mind too that crossfiring anything around 6870 might be a problem since they typically come with dual slots (2 DVI ports) so depending on how big your box is you may want to stick to a single gpu.

Deleted
    From the early post I though you meant a gaming machine , so witching the i7 -> i5 and getting the 6970 was an option :P

In the last month I assembled 2 pcs for using blender , astonishingly the i5 2500k stock looses by almost nothing. After ocing the i5 2500k beats the i7 2600k due to ocing higher , this happened twice , but I'm almost sure it was lucky draw on the i5 and a bad bad luck on the i7 chips AND it's blender :P

Still haven't seen or touched the i7 2700k

meanwhile 7000 series are rumoured to be here around Q1 2012 ( source : http://www.nordichardware.com/news/7...d-to-2012.html )
    I think nvidia has stated the same . seems the 28nm are still far far away :/ I hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by mmocda69302ff9; 2011-10-28 at 09:10 PM.

I just did an i7-2600k build w/ a GA-z68xp-ud3 and ended up going for a 6850 CF setup. Ended up cheaper than a 6950 and easily outperforms it. The only drawback was the two cards took up all the expansion slots in the mobo, but just about everything useful is built on to the mobo or is usb powered...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freetobe View Post
    Get the i5 2500k.
    Stop talking out of your ass. I bought my 2600k because I do A LOT of video editing, and I'm pretty sure anyone who has the slightest clue about CPU's wouldnt spend money on a 2600k if they didnt need to.

OT: If you arn't doing any type of video editing, just drop down to a 2500k and go a 570