Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

No-kill shelters. Thoughts?

http://www.adopt-a-cat.org/

Shameless plug to help the kitties.

Anyways. Way up here in the good old Alaska where we can see Russia from our house, we have this shelter. It's strictly no-kill meaning you walk inside there and are surrounded by cats. Their mascot is a 15+ cat who is missing an eye and needs insulin shots daily. They're very keen on keeping every kitty they get alive.

Generally when we hear of shelters we think of animals being put down after a certain period of time. Not the case here, no matter how old the cat may be. So! With the growing amount of pets in the US of A facing, are shelters like these helpful? Or a giant waste of time/money/effort?

Apologies if this is somehow a repeat in thread topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds real nice. I hear all too often about pounds and shelters putting down perfectly healthy animals.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Sounds real nice. I hear all too often about pounds and shelters putting down perfectly healthy animals.
    Another place up here was overrun. They put down 60+ something cats that month because crowded. It was sad to hear.

I like the idea of no kill shelters just for the fact that all animals have a right to life regardless the situation they were in. We shouldn't punish the animal because the previous owner (if that applies) wouldn't or couldn't care for the animal anymore.

Saddens me to see the number of irresponsible pet owners out there. "I wanna kitty... BORED NOW!"

I can see why kill shelters operate though. They can only take so many in at a time, and a grumpy 5 year old cat is a hard thing to sell when the next pen over has an excited kitten climbing the door and purring when you so much as look at him... I guess it's better to put a cat down humanely and take another in, than it is to have somebody getting rid of a cat by putting in a sack and taking it down the river...

The problem is money. Ideally you want every single animal to have a chance to live and to find a permanent home, but a major city can have THOUSANDS of strays each year that never get re-united with their owners. Even rural areas have cat shelter really overcrowded. Shelters have limited space and limited funding. What to do? Turn away young and healthy cats that have a good chance to be adopted at some point? Or put down older, special needs, or otherwise unlikely to be adopted animals to make space to help other animals in need? It's a tough choice.

My sister found a young, near-starved Maine Coon on her front yard a few days ago. She fed it and it became healthy again literally overnight. Beautiful, friendly young cat. But her husband is allergic to cats and her daughter has bluebirds that come to a birdfeeder at the house, so they can't allow a cat to stay in or around their house. The local shelter has not been able to accept more cats since APRIL because they don't have the money or the space. She is trying to find the cat's owner (it had a collar, but not chipped), but it seems likely that with shelters not accepting more cats the owner just dumped this poor cat.

If you want to help out situations like this then adopt from shelters to free up space, sponsor cats at a shelter, or donate money so they can keep more animals.

I don't like cats, dogs, or any pets, and i don't feel that much compassion towards them, but i do hate with a passion dickheads that buy pets and do not properly take care of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be great to have them around, but I bet they are not cheap. Shelters put down animals because they cost money to keep.

I live in a college town and the amount of strays that we have here is pretty nutz, especially cats. I am pretty sure that I have a few in my shed right now. Kids move out of mom and dad's place and think they are responsible enough for their own pet. Needless to say, most of these animals do not last long with these irresponsible owners. They either get pawned off on mom and dad, or get simply ditched by their scumbag of an owner - ofc without getting it fixed. Animal control can catch the dogs much easier than those sly cats.

I hate to think of all the dogs that are put down because they had shitty owners. I was a dumbass at that age too, but I still have my dog that I got after moving out. Really no excuse to not get them fixed because there is always a vet of the month that does it for free or like $50. God forbid they give up their beer money!

So yes, I am all for shelters like that. The idea makes me smile. Animals should not be punished for the stupidity of humanity. Would be cool if they could resist that biological urge to pop out a dozen babies, but nature don't play that.
    I like sandwiches

cant pay enough money to save kittehs

It's very sad, but it's a waste of time and money. Half of the dogs will more than likely come back because the baggage will eventually come out and the owner will get tired of it. He didn't create the problem, why should he deal with it?

We had a no kill shelter, and still do. Something happened with the wires though in the middle of the night. (I'm being completely sincere) and killed the animals inside. The Irony.-It was later restored and it's doing really well now.

If I were to ever become rich for any reason one of the first things I would do is buy a lot of land and build a no kill shelter on it. This would make me happy for the rest of my days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzcon2012 View Post
    We had a no kill shelter, and still do. Something happened with the wires though in the middle of the night. (I'm being completely sincere) and killed the animals inside. The Irony.-It was later restored and it's doing really well now.
    I died a little reading that. I hope they never have faulty wiring again.
    Last edited by Sett; 2015-06-09 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sett View Post
    http://www.adopt-a-cat.org/

Shameless plug to help the kitties.

Anyways. Way up here in the good old Alaska where we can see Russia from our house, we have this shelter. It's strictly no-kill meaning you walk inside there and are surrounded by cats. Their mascot is a 15+ cat who is missing an eye and needs insulin shots daily. They're very keen on keeping every kitty they get alive.

Generally when we hear of shelters we think of animals being put down after a certain period of time. Not the case here, no matter how old the cat may be. So! With the growing amount of pets in the US of A facing, are shelters like these helpful? Or a giant waste of time/money/effort?

Apologies if this is somehow a repeat in thread topic.
    only if you're willing to pay for all of the expenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

While I do have great compassion for animals and I hope they can all find homes. I am a realist when it comes to funding those kinds of operations. In some places there are literally thousands of animals going through shelters and there just aren't enough pet owners for everyone of them to find a home. Especially in economic times like these when people struggle to put food on the table. Pets are usually the first neglected.

My thought would be if someone has the ability to run a no-kill shelter and keep it operating then more power to them.

I give so much respect to the no-kill shelters that do exist, they're wonderful and they do an excellent job. That being said, I understand and have come to respect the job that regular shelters do to control the pet population. Please never think badly of your local animal control, they are not at fault for animals having to die.

I applied to a shelter last year, and I remember they told me that their yearly budget from the government funding was only 125,000. They had 4 full-time employees and generally 5-8 dogs and 10-20 cats at any given time. These people don't get paid much, and they still have little left over to properly care for the animals. If an animal ends up with any illness or injury that will cost major vet bills, the only smart and humane decision they can make is to put it to sleep.

Deleted
    One eyed cat that needs insulin daily?

Put the poor thing out of its bloody misery. I hate cats being put down, I hate it more when owners keep their pet alive through debilitating illness due to selfish reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have that problem locally. They started foster care programs for those extra pets.
    For some reason they call our shelter "no kill" but honestly they shoot for a 90% survival rate every month. /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    The one thing I despise is when someone from a shelter says the animals will be fine but then they treat them like dirt (*cough* Rise of the Planet of the Apes *cough*)

PETA puts down more animals than most shelters since they use their budget on advertising and can't pay for the kitties.
    Ben Kenobi "This isn't the signature you are looking for."