Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

[Diablo II] help a noob out.

So I started playing Diablo 2 again yesterday. I haven't played for, what, 8 years now, or along these lines. I feel like im 16 again, and I feel retardedly retarded about playing the game. Got a couple questions.

For instance, the skills. I picked up a barbarian, but I can't seem to figure out how to map more than 1 skill to my right mouse button (left being regular attack, right being the said skill). Do I really need to map a new skill to my right mouse button every time I want to use one? I know that sounds cliche, but is there any kind of action bars like in WoW where I can map more than 1 skill? Constantly switching gets annoying, js.

Also, any links or tips on how to build it? I'm currently going all STR/STA, but idk, I run OOM pretty easily, etc. For the world, I find it a bit confusing since you never know what leads where or have a world map, but hey, its Diablo II. Rest is fine, I'm having fun.

Thanks,
    Chicken

using ure F1-9 keys is the way i did it if i recall right

Press in dire situations http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Sorry, there aren't any actions bars like you're thinking of. You can however use Num1-9 and F1-9 to bind the skills so you can change whenever you want. Str/Vit is the way you want to go, with adding in maybe maximum 5 pts into energy. You'll find a lot of items that will give you the regen you need. I'd recommend going Double Swing/ Frenzy, as after you have a few points into DS it requires <1 energy. Then what I do is bind Double swing to the left mouse, and frenzy to the right. Just click frenzy 2-3 times to start, then again every 3rd attack with double swings in between. Frenzy does more damage, but double swing is more dps, and you just use frenzy to keep the buff stacked up.

Once you bind skills with F1-F9 you can change them with mouse wheel.

For the most part your left hand is only used to select the attack for your 2 mouse buttons. Unless you change the default keybinds you just need to get used to having your hand sit on the function keys and being rdy to use your belt potions. This is going to create waves of new clicker players in WoW I cant wait to see the aftermath.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Torticoli View Post
    Well, your first mistake was not rolling a necromancer, obviously. I personally always find the barbarian to be pretty boring after a while, around Act III or something. Casters demand a much more precise and strategic way of playing the game, I think, but that might just be me.

Aside from that, you should be able to find tutorials and class guides pretty easily on the internet. But yes, Function keys / mouse wheel is the way to go to easily switch between skills.
    Got it. Tho, how do you bind said skills to F1-9? I believe when you press, say, F1, it's going to bind it to either left or right, where now you can use it. Am I wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    Got it. Tho, how do you bind said skills to F1-9? I believe when you press, say, F1, it's going to bind it to either left or right, where now you can use it. Am I wrong?
    Go to your stat tree, not the menu tree, but the one where you pick your active skill, and just highlight one and press the button you want to key it too. Remember, it only keys to whichever mouse button you keyed it on.

Also, I suggest picking up a Hammerdin Pally and getting it up fast if you're wanting to grind for some gear. If you're on non-ladder, you can generally pick up some decent gear for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Go to your stat tree, not the menu tree, but the one where you pick your active skill, and just highlight one and press the button you want to key it too. Remember, it only keys to whichever mouse button you keyed it on.

Also, I suggest picking up a Hammerdin Pally and getting it up fast if you're wanting to grind for some gear. If you're on non-ladder, you can generally pick up some decent gear for cheap.
    Im LAN'ing my game with a buddy who's a necro, it's going pretty smoothly. We're almost in act II and I've gotten around pretty much by using one skill at a time.

you need a little bit of wisdom? i think it was called cant remember and then i think you do need some dex for weapon skill or whatever it was called

If you're lanning/messing around you can pretty much put stats/skills where you want (unless you are going to be going through on nightmare and hell as well)
    If you're playing seriously you pretty much put as many points in stamina as possible, 0 in mana, and as many in str and dex to use weapons (or block cap yourself if using a shield). The reason for 0 in mana is eventually you'll end up with an awesome mana leech weapon

lots of good info here http://www.diablo2.com/forum/diablo-2-f1.html

Barbarians are extremely gear dependent, you're in for a lot of pain. Sorceress is always the easiest first class.

Barbarian 4 Life

Deleted
    yea barbarian ftw

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Barbarians are extremely gear dependent, you're in for a lot of pain. Sorceress is always the easiest first class.
    That's what I read, actually. Sources say you're right. My problem is that I have no clue (and have trouble finding decent info on, understandable that is) how to build a sorceress, and that I always run OOM very early. On top of that, spells hit for ~meh. Also, as for my barbarian, as we're LANing on normal difficulty (he now plays a pally, we're 28, act 3), we can literally just play like we want and I believe we're going to be alright.

I think I'll go WW warrior, but hey...for now I'm always OOM and all I do is auto-attack all day long.

10+ Year Old Account
    sorc best to mf with then make other characters after you have got some good gear behind you, thats what ive always done
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by Torticoli View Post
    Well, your first mistake was not rolling a necromancer, obviously.
    It's so funny when ridiculous statements, like that, are SO TRUE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    That's what I read, actually. Sources say you're right. My problem is that I have no clue (and have trouble finding decent info on, understandable that is) how to build a sorceress, and that I always run OOM very early. On top of that, spells hit for ~meh. Also, as for my barbarian, as we're LANing on normal difficulty (he now plays a pally, we're 28, act 3), we can literally just play like we want and I believe we're going to be alright.

I think I'll go WW warrior, but hey...for now I'm always OOM and all I do is auto-attack all day long.
    Sorceresses are very easy to build.

All three trees are viable. Lightning is the most damaging one, but also the most random one (max rank of your main spell deals 1-10k damage). Cold is superior control due to the AoE slow of Blizzard.

For mana regen, level Warmth in Fire tree.

You can level Energy a bit, but it's not recommended since points are better invested into other stats and since version 1.1 or 1.11 you can buy mana pots. (most people stack like half a belt of those to be able to spam skills on boss fights)

Barbarians are fine if you don't plan on doing Hell.

If you are, you're in for a headache, especially with a Necro as a partner.

I soloed Hell on every char except the Barb, and there's a reason for that =)

Normal and Nightmare are pushover difficulties mostly, except a couple of bosses. So don't stress it too much.

As to stat roles/weights:

STR - main damaging stat for melees. Otherwise - just an armor requirement.
    DEX - affects hit chance and block chance (with a shield or certain talents like assassin's Weapon Block). Mouseover to see hit chance against you and for you.
    VIT - level this when you're feeling squishy.
    Energy - most min maxers don't invest in this because of the reasons I mentioned.

If you're looking for some easy/fun character builds to play with, I've found that Spear Amazon (Lightning Fury build) is one of the most faceroll builds in existence.

If you need some specific D2 advice, feel free to PM me. I've spent more time on that game than I care to think about =)

Still have my kicksin char with all the rare crushing blow gear as a reminder of that.
    Last edited by zealous; 2011-10-30 at 05:11 AM.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Don't forget that as of 1.13, you can respec skill and stat points. You get one respec when you complete the Den of Evil quest, so among three difficulties that's three 'free' respecs; after that, it's possible to farm items from the act bosses in order to earn more. So if you're really desperate for Energy, you coould pump it a bit now and then respec later once you have some mana leech. However, Barbarians only get 1 mana per point of Energy, so it probably still isn't worth doing..

The easiest way to get a bit of mana leech is by socketing Skulls into weapons. If you don't have a socketed weapon, a useful early-game Horadric Cube recipe is any magic weapon + any 3 chipped gems gives you a new random magic weapon of the same type with up to two sockets (I think three if used on a sword, unless that recipe was removed). So you'll get one or two random affixes and a random number of sockets.

Another option is if you can get Ral Tir Tal Sol runes. One quest in Act 5 gives you a Ral and a Tal, Tir should be very common (lv 13), and Sol is lv 27, which is moderately common as well (given that runes range from lv 11 to 69). Ral-Tir-Tal-Sol in a polearm creates the Insight runeword, which grants the Meditation Aura when equipped, which is like +400% or more mana regen to everyone in its radius... And since it's a polearm, it can be equipped on Act 2 mercenaries. Note that it's for Polearm class only, not Spear.

If you want to use polearms, it's actually a fairly good weapon too (+260% enhanced damage or something).

And personally, I would suggest changing keybinds. Of the left section of the alphabet, only Q, W, E, and C are used in Diablo 2, so if say you make your hotkeys ASDFZXCV (in addition to F1-F8 for rarely cast abilities, like long-duration buffs), you'd only have to reassign one button (Character Screen) to somewhere else.
    Last edited by Shaiandra; 2011-10-30 at 03:18 PM.

Sorceress:
    Full fireball until you get 30, respec into frozen orb with one into armor/teleport/energy shield/warmth. As stated above, make an Insight as fast as humanly possible so you can stop going to town every two minutes for mana pots. Everything goes into Vit, except what you need in Str to wear armor.

Make a Spirit sword as fast as humanly possible (tal thul ort amn), consider a Rhyme shield (shael eth). Look out for and keep rare belts with faster hit recovery, life, strength, and multiple (3) resistances on them. Look out for and keep boots with at least triple resistances. Consider making Treachery armor for your mercenary, it's pretty awesome for the runes it requires.

Push yourself to nightmare Mephisto, make pity MF gear out of perfect topaz in armor and helmet, run him over and over and over until you have decent gear for whatever it is you want to play. Mix in Baal and Pindleskin runs if you want, as you level yourself to 70-80 (shouldn't take very long) you can get brave and move on to hell Andariel, much more challenging and your mercenary will die every single time, but better items. I've taken an untwinked FO sorceress as far as act III hell by myself, had a bad teleport in Flayer dungeon into a pack of midgets, got killed before I got S/E (okay, I was arrogant and thought I could make it). Easily the best solo spec, in my opinion. If you're playing softcore you can easily move on to hell Mephisto, a few deaths isn't a big deal compared to the much better lewts.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2011-10-30 at 12:32 PM.

And oh right, regarding skills... I won't tell you how to plan your character, but a few tips at least, in case you overlooked some skills:

You should ideally have points in only one weapon mastery of your choice, and likely one point in each other passive skill (Increased Stamina, Increased Speed, Iron Skin and Natural Resist). If you need higher resistances, you could put more points in there, but the skill has diminishing returns so it's probably unlikely that you'll max it.

As for Warcries, I'll leave the offensive ones up to you. But you should get at least one point in the three buffs: Shout, Battle Orders, and Battle Command. Battle Orders is probably the only one worth putting many points into. You probably also can't go wrong with a point in Find Item.

If you want more Defense, you're better off pumping Shout rather than Iron Skin; they both increase defense by an additional 10% per skill level, but Shout affects allies and increases your warcries' duration, so you won't have to recast them as often.