I can't get threat!

Hey guys,
    Basically I was wondering what I am doing wrong.While I'm at it I wanna ask some questions.
    How do i get hit capped?
    There isn't any gear that allows me to get to 8% while gearing.I'm guessing this is what is causing my threat issues, reading various sites I have gather to only focus on CtC before threat.
    Problem 2 is I can't get CtC to 102.4 yet currently its a 86. I have been reforging some of my parry and dodge into mastery to help me reach the goal faster. Also what ilvl should I be to tank BoT and what should my ilvl be for firelands.
    Well a quick reply would be nice =D Here's an armory link I do not have the helm buff and i know shoulders are dps but nothing else will drop =D http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...a/Phini/simple

This may be a silly question, but you are using "Righteous Fury", are you not?
    I am Dave ! Yognaught, and I have the balls!

15+ Year Old Account
    There shouldn´t be any issues with threat if you use Righteous Fury, no matter what ilvl you and your dps have. The 500% increased threat is quite a lot.

On your character´s gear, I see a lot of reforging to hit and enchanting to expertise, don't do this. As I said, with 500% increased threat and just ~6% chance to miss, you won't miss a lot while still creating enough threat. Check your buffbar for Righteous Fury. If that's not the problem, what's your rotation/the priority queue you use?
    Last edited by Taurenburger; 2011-10-29 at 02:16 PM.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

The only time you should be losing aggro is to aggro happy rets and Warriors. They can do insane bursts when they want and they can take the boss for the first few seconds. Best way to avoid this is pop Divine Plea at the start for 3 free Holy Power, and use Shield of the Righteous. That should lead you off nicely. Use Righteous Fury.

As stated hit and expertise are not an issue. Use the Expertise glyph, that's about it. You should reforge to keep dodge/parry slightly even with less parry than dodge when unbuffed. As your parry will go up with your str. But still, keep them close. You will probably hit the CTC cap when you start getting into deeper firelands gear. You outgear Bastion of Twilight. The expected gear level for Bastion is 358 max for normal, you are at 360. Just reforge correctly, gem right, and enchant a few pieces and you should be able to do it easily on normal mode. And start on heroic Bastion.

I don't mean to hijack your thread buddy. I would just like to also explain I am having the same problem. Threat is a non-issue but I have a 361 ilevel and I am floating around 84% ctc. Seems weird to me because I feel inadequate to tank anything if I'm not 102.4% I have tanked a out everything up until cata and have ran into this problem and I feel naked.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    As others have mentioned, threat shouldn't be an issue if you have Righteous Fury enabled and are doing a decent job on your rotation. For boss pulls, feel free to pop avenging wrath on the pull as well.

As far as your CTC goes - strongly consider ditching the armor trinket - it's not exceptional. I personally love the Mirror of Broken Images and strongly suggest you pick it up - the 1m c/d on-use is a minimum 40% magic damage reduction (with chance at full resists) and as such is situationally an extremely strong trinket.

Reforging dodge or parry to mastery is a good idea for a paladin tank; if the piece has no mastery on it already, it's strongly advised (eg your porcelain crab reforge - good).

Overall your setup is fine. Fix your hit reforges, get an enchant for the head and shoulder armor items...

I'm guessing that you're running heroics and there are some 378+ geared people blowing cooldowns on pulls to a) make themselves look big and b) to make you look bad. As long as you're working your rotation and making an effort to tank, my suggestion if someone insists on bursting on the pull is to let them tank for a while and don't take the abuse they're bound to give afterwards personally - they know what they're doing, so let them enjoy the consequences.

On the other hand, if people are getting aggro from you in similar or not too much higher gear than you, then you're either running without righteous fury (in which case a dps in 346 will take your aggro) or you really don't know how to do any damage as a protection paladin, in which case you should study more on the class. Given your build, gemming and majority of your reforges, though, I doubt that's the case.

As far as what's needed to tank BoT - you already overgear BoT (it drops 359), and it was designed for people in 333-346 gear (same goes for BWD). Go for it. You're geared fine for some of the earlier Firelands bosses, and without a doubt you should consider joining some Firelands trash runs (FL trash is easier than BoT trash :=p) - the "friendly" rep back is quite nice, and it's easy to get "honored" and pick up an excellent 378 tanking belt.
    Last edited by tyggyr; 2011-10-29 at 10:13 PM.

I'm seeing a lot of references to the 102.4 in reference to threat, just to clear up what seems to be a misconception in this thread, the 102.4 number has absolutely zero bearing on your threat.

It is entirely possible to get a bad string of dodge/parrys at the beginning of a pull, but on a boss you'll want to pop your wings at the very beginning for the additional threat boost.