Deleted

SSD for Windows 7 and WoW

Hello all,

The specs of my current computer are in my signature. From what everyone says, the best possible upgrade I can get now for WoW is basically a SSD. However, they are bloody expensive =/ I want one big enough for my OS and WoW only, would use my Cavier Black for actual storage, I just want faster boot up time and WoW, however, I have no idea what the best one would be to get for that.

The size of my WoW folder is 35GB, but I'd want like enough room for 36-37 GB incase I decide to get some large add on or something. I am not entirely sure of the size of my OS, but I would assume it is probably about the same? So Im looking at like an 80-90GB SSD, I just have no idea where to start, took me a long time to work out the components I wanted for my current PC, I'm a Software guy rather than a Hardware one really.

Crucial M4 128GB would be my recommendation... Rock solid stability/reliability (Marvell controller vs the crap Sandforce ones), speedy, and can be had for relatively cheap (I paid $160 for mine and $180 for another computer more recently.... just shop around until a deal pops up).

60GB is enough if you keep things tidy.

Win7 takes about 12-15GB (you can turn off hibernate completely and shrink pagefile) and WoW is 25GB if you delete all old patch files. Something like Corsair Force3 or Crucial m4 are good choices of SSDs to buy right now. OCZ Agility/Vertex series are usually bit cheaper, but might have quality issues.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The only performance difference for WoW on a SSD is loading times. Not exactly a game changer if you catch my drift. You will however see a big difference inside Windows.

You will want a minimum of a 64GB SSD. This should be more than enough for your WoW folder and OS. If you plan to put other games on the drive then you will want a larger SSD. Corsair Force3 64GB for example.

I have the Corsair Force3 series, a 120gb use it primarily for Win7, Wow and Battlefield 3, on top of that there are some music from itunes and that kinda stuff and still have a 4th of the disc left.
    I would still buy a 80-120gb, as 60gb would be too small for me, but if you can keep it tidy as some guy above me said, 60gb will be sufficiant.

Imo dont get anything less than 100gb, mine got filled up pretty damn fast

Deleted
    I have been looking at the Corsair Force 3 series actually, especially http://www.ebuyer.com/268693-corsair...ssd-f120gb3-bk (I live in the UK btw)

However, over £100 is way out of my price range at the moment (Student QQQQQQQQQQQ). I guess I will wait till Christmas and get one then, prices might have gone down by then too?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Recently there was flooding in Thailand that has caused the prices of SSD/HDD to sky rocket. Every news bulletin I have read has estimated that we shouldn't expect prices leveling off until 4 to 8 months from now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    £100 is pretty good for an SSD price and you'll struggle to get a quality one below that. Don't settle for a crap SSD, you'll really regret it.
    That SSD you linked it good, i run 2 together in RAID0 (as one big drive), but just a few days ago, they were £130. I'm not sure how good the Kingston SATA-2 SSD's are, but take a look; http://www.ebuyer.com/246998-kingsto...s-svp100s2-96g
    I agree Im not going to get one below £100. I think I will just wait till Christmas, ask my whole family for money, and buy a SSD and a second monitor (dang I need one so bad for my Programming) in one go.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    win7 + wow + black ops and some other programs i'm already over 60Gb after 10 days with my SSD, i'd raccomend at least a 120Gb (bought a Vertex3 240Gb myself, so i'm using it as fraps folder also)

top brands have almost the same performance and fail rate (for sata3 SSDs, don't know about PCI-E ones), just get the cheaper between OCZ/crucial/corsair

@Culadin: 3 seconds to load characters and istances, and 98-99% of time i'm BG leader (tards follow you if you are the leader o_O), if you play a lot with AH (bankers) or alts you're gonna love a SSD
    Last edited by S7orm; 2011-10-29 at 09:11 PM.