Thread: iMac strugglin'

10+ Year Old Account

iMac strugglin'

Hey all, I started playing WoW in late (Nov / Dec) 2007 on a new iMac that I received as a gift.

But from the very first day, I've experienced crazy lag spikes, low FPS (Shatt and Dalaran were uninhabitable for me...), and other issues. I was just going to ask if anyone else had the same issues with their iMacs, and if so, if there is any way to fix it? I'm a complete tech n00b. >.>

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mac OS X Version 10.6.7, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    ill probably be infracted for this post

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well it all comes down to your system specs. Based off of iMac's from yesteryear you are using a graphics chip that is 4 to 5 years old and a low end dual core that is equivalently aged. There isn't a quick fix for Mac's because you can't just pull out the parts and upgrade to newer. Unfortunately you are stuck with what you have and the performance you have or you have to purchase a new system.

I think you got gifted the cheapest version of that generation of iMac, 1GB of ram is like enough to cover your OS.. Ofcourse it wont run WoW properly, but as Culadin said, you'll have to get a new iMac, because you can't upgrade your current.

One thing you can upgrade is your ram. If you can't afford another computer right now, just grab more ram and you should see a fair performance
    increase. I haven't tried running wow on my bootcamp partition, anyone know if that's a performance increase?

1 GB RAM isn't enough for gaming and a 2 Ghz dual-core could only be capable of running raids at lowest settings without lag spikes.

Deleted
    Still rocking my G5 Mac

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
    Still rocking my G5 Mac
    power pc .... good times