Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    everytime i see a sylvari, it just reminds me of :

i don't see any originality in plant people, not if they're meant to remain in humanoid shape 100% of the time.
    I agree, people using the originality card, obviously haven't seen the plant-like humanoids in other fictions before.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    i see why people are mistaken, the person i quoted changed the the image in question, hahaha. it was an old one from the races video of '09 well before the redesign.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    I agree, people using the originality card, obviously haven't seen the plant-like humanoids in other fictions before.
    People are confusing creativity with originality. Plant people aren't new or original. ANet is however being rather creative with theirs.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    People are confusing creativity with originality. Plant people aren't new or original. ANet is however being rather creative with theirs.
    putting leaves instead of hairs and branch/wood texture over the skin isn't that much creative either i believe.

imo they're just too much human-like to be qualified of creative, design-wise.

putting leaves instead of hairs and branch/wood texture over the skin isn't that much creative either i believe.

imo they're just too much human-like to be qualified of creative, design-wise.
    They take human shape because that is what is familiar; however, the central creativity behind sylvari is their lore and place in Tyria, not necessarily their look.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Chances are I won't be playing GW2, but to me they just seem like they'll be the Blood Elves of it; the designers have gone overboard with the aesthetics and created some seemingly "perfect" race of elves who are the very archetypes of all that is pure and good in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Creative" is not limited to their physical appearance only.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    They take human shape because that is what is familiar; however, the central creativity behind sylvari is their lore and place in Tyria, not necessarily their look.
    "Creative" is not limited to their physical appearance only.
    i don't mind their lore, but as far as this goes, i'm far more bothered by their looks as everyone may have guessed.

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't mind their lore, but as far as this goes, i'm far more bothered by their looks as everyone may have guessed.
    I still don't quite get why...there's like...one other game from WAY back when(not accounting for P&P games) that has plant-like people. Sure they're elvish, they live in a forest, they're pretty...by that logic, a lot of things are elvish.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't quite get why...there's like...one other game from WAY back when(not accounting for P&P games) that has plant-like people. Sure they're elvish, they live in a forest, they're pretty...by that logic, a lot of things are elvish.
    Orcs/Orks in Warhammer/Warhammer 40k are fungus/plant mutants. No joke.

http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wik...n_Reproduction
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2011-11-08 at 03:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Orcs/Orks in Warhammer/Warhammer 40k are fungus/plant mutants. No joke.

http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wik...n_Reproduction
    Yeah I know actually, but aside from fungus only qualifying as plants on a basic level, I think the Orks are significantly different enough to not warrant comparison.

Just, be kind.