Page 1 of 6
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    The Patient Klazmaunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    340

    What's the deal with Sylvari? | Response to Poll

    So...after seeing the numbers on the poll in this sub-forum I was shocked to see Sylvari so high. I don't know if it's just me or what but Sylvari do not seem enticing at all for me. So I'm curious, Sylvari, what about them as a race draws you to play them?

    More info on me: I"ll be playing a Norn. The whole hunter/brawler/drunk/wilderness race has always been my cup'o'tea. The lore seemed rich enough and I love the way they look. So my love of that race could be why I don't see anything in the Sylvari!

    Back to Sylvari, what's the deal? Is it lore? Looks? Community?

    Thanks!
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

  2. #2
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,057
    Original Race in a genre that has been done over and over and over and over and over and over and over (you get my point...) again.

    They're also great for roleplay and lore because up until 25 years ago (in game) there weren't any Sylvari, so you feel as if you're shaping what the Sylvari are.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  3. #3
    Field Marshal Niamea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    51
    They are beautiful plant people! Of course people will like them (I do too, but voted for Asura)!

  4. #4
    They're exclusive, something new. They're beautiful.

    If you do not plan to play it, why is it so important why others like it or not? I ain't dismissing any of the races however, even though I'm not extremely keen on the Asura..they're cute, but I want to play a strong female character.
    Believing in the Dominance theory/Alpha theory when it comes to dog handling, is the same as still believing that our planet is flat, moronic. Give your dog a better life, stop bullying it because you are afraid of something that doesn't exist.
    http://www.apdt.com/petowners/choose/dominance.aspx
    "Animals are not intelligent"...of course they are, the question is...are you? A different intelligence does NOT equal a lack of intelligence.

  5. #5
    Bloodsail Admiral Cuchulainn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Exodar, lecturing Neophytes.
    Posts
    1,058
    The more Sylvari, the better. I need something to kill in PvP when I'm raging about IRL crap, and the Sylvari are just that race. I'll refer to it as "weed whacking".

  6. #6
    The Patient Klazmaunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    340
    I have no issues with the fact that they like it! I was just wondering what they were seeing that I wasn't. Who knows, I might make a sylvari alt and fall in love with it. We'll have to see!
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

  7. #7
    Stood in the Fire Vlad Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    355
    Personally they aren't my thing either, i plan to play whatever race is the most convincing as a Necromancer and for now to me it seems to be the Norn!

  8. #8
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    If you do not plan to play it, why is it so important why others like it or not?
    That's one thing I never understand.
    Some people don't understand the reason MMO's have different races is to offer enough variety to hopefully please everybody.

  9. #9
    Stood in the Fire Vlad Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    That's one thing I never understand.
    Some people don't understand the reason MMO's have different races is to offer enough variety to hopefully please everybody.
    Not that i want to hijack the thread but if you didn't see it Mif, thanks for the awesome introduction to Two Steps from Hell! I have had it blaring all day!

  10. #10
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    Not that i want to hijack the thread but if you didn't see it Mif, thanks for the awesome introduction to Two Steps from Hell! I have had it blaring all day!
    I assure you it was by accident

  11. #11
    Stood in the Fire Vlad Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I assure you it was by accident
    Devious to the core, I'm watching you!

  12. #12
    Scarab Lord Arkenaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,120
    Because they are so darn tasty.

  13. #13
    Scarab Lord Trollsbane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,484
    Oh boy, I'm going to get beat up for saying this...

    They are the elves of GW2.

    Don't hate me for feeling that way, and yes I know the differences!

    My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

  14. #14
    While their roots aren't necessarily all that original (sort of elvish in nature/behavior, there have been tree people before), their implementation is. They're developed plant people, they look new to the MMO universe rather than being an elf in plant clothing (their previous design). On the day of the reveal, the redesign sort of shattered most people's expectations and as a result they became far more popular. I had planned to play one redesign or not, but the redesign made me significantly more enthusiastic for the race as a whole. I think a lot of people are excited to play something new rather than play slightly altered elves.

    edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Oh boy, I'm going to get beat up for saying this...

    They are the elves of GW2.

    Don't hate me for feeling that way, and yes I know the differences!
    I don't think you're wrong for saying that — they are certainly the replacement for the elves. However, as I'm sure you know, they are reasonably different in detail. Plant body, etc., I could go on but as you've said, you know the differences. I think the key here is that when people say they are "the elves of GW2", it's worth noting that ArenaNet has truly tried to make a unique race rather than an elf knock-off, which is both commendable and widely appreciated.
    Last edited by Iselde; 2011-10-29 at 11:34 PM. Reason: additional response

  15. #15
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tichondrius-U.S.
    Posts
    135
    I didn't like Sylvari at first and I was planning on adding them to my bag of gnome and male blood elf jokes but then they suddenly grew on me *rim shot*

    I was all norn at first because I love wow shamans and the Norn seem to be the closet thing to it style wise, but after I watched a Sylvari character creation video I saw way more diversity in their looks than any of the other races and I knew I'd have to play one as a mesmer plus the rp possibilities are endless. Brand spanking new race *drools*

  16. #16
    Stood in the Fire Vlad Morbius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Oh boy, I'm going to get beat up for saying this...

    They are the elves of GW2.

    Don't hate me for feeling that way, and yes I know the differences!
    True but anything with two arms and a head is a copy of some sort. That being said i do find them to be somewhat more interesting at least in design, i like the whole plant for hair concept, a lot easier to trim and no visit to the barber!

  17. #17
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Oh boy, I'm going to get beat up for saying this...

    They are the elves of GW2.

    Don't hate me for feeling that way, and yes I know the differences!
    I will destroy you like Telos!
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  18. #18
    Titan smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    13,680
    Basically, because it's a fairly unique concept. Sure, they're basically filling the space of "elves", but it's still a rather unique setup for the system.
    I mean, half-giants from the north?
    Humans?
    Animal-people who favor industry and war?
    Goblin-gnome hybrid?

    Plant people pretty much, IMO, comes across as one of the most unique concepts presented in an RPG for a while. Not accounting for PnP RPGs in which you can be a half-plant-centaur-dragonkin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    The most accurate history of the USSR ever.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  19. #19
    The Patient Klazmaunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Alabama, USA
    Posts
    340
    Thanks for the responses. Seemed to clear it up pretty well! Look forward to cutting you sylvari down!
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

  20. #20
    Edit: @trollbain's comment. was no other replies when I clicked
    Well they did basically design the race to fill the slot normally held by elves in a standard fantasy lineup without being a generic copy/pasted elf race. On the same vein the asura take the gnomish tinkerer slot and the norn have similarities to a standard barbarian race. So yes they are somewhat elfin in feel but they have little else in common aside from slightly pointy ears. Although you could argue they have physical traits in common with vulcans too, pointy ears and I'd imagine green blood coming from a plant man.

    Who is John Galt?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •