Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I like their design, the fact that they a relatively new idea and I also find their lore interesting, even if it is very little.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    Edit: @trollbain's comment. was no other replies when I clicked
    Well they did basically design the race to fill the slot normally held by elves in a standard fantasy lineup without being a generic copy/pasted elf race. On the same vein the asura take the gnomish tinkerer slot and the norn have similarities to a standard barbarian race. So yes they are somewhat elfin in feel but they have little else in common aside from slightly pointy ears. Although you could argue they have physical traits in common with vulcans too, pointy ears and I'd imagine green blood coming from a plant man.
    I call dibs on Spock the Sylvary!

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    Edit: @trollbain's comment. was no other replies when I clicked
    Well they did basically design the race to fill the slot normally held by elves in a standard fantasy lineup without being a generic copy/pasted elf race. On the same vein the asura take the gnomish tinkerer slot and the norn have similarities to a standard barbarian race. So yes they are somewhat elfin in feel but they have little else in common aside from slightly pointy ears. Although you could argue they have physical traits in common with vulcans too, pointy ears and I'd imagine green blood coming from a plant man.
    Actually, their blood is golden. They mention it in the book Ghosts of Ascalon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbelbasse View Post
    Actually, their blood is golden. They mention it in the book Ghosts of Ascalon.
    Shhhh i haven't gotten that far, no book spoilers please lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    Shhhh i haven't gotten that far, no book spoilers please lol!
    ... How is that a spoiler? And it's mentioned just... by.. hm... Right.

I also do not like that already, people are finding ways to sort them from other players.

In WoW we have the typical "Blood elves are gay, Humans are boring, Nelfs are KOS"....

I hope it'll be different in GW2, that no race or profession and the people playing them will be singled out and hated upon...but I guess, seeing as it's people playing, that's too much to ask for.

I will not dislike any race, declare any race KOS and I sure as h'll won't feel annoyed with certain profession/race combos...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I also do not like that already, people are finding ways to sort them from other players.

In WoW we have the typical "Blood elves are gay, Humans are boring, Nelfs are KOS"....

I hope it'll be different in GW2, that no race or profession and the people playing them will be singled out and hated upon...but I guess, seeing as it's people playing, that's too much to ask for.

I will not dislike any race, declare any race KOS and I sure as h'll won't feel annoyed with certain profession/race combos...
    Most of that on this subforum has all been done in good humor.

For example, the only reason why I tout the whole "Humans are best!" mantra is because of how many people are touting the same idea, but for charr and asura.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

15+ Year Old Account

I don't have a problem with it if it is done in a good natured fashion, which here in the forums it is. However I do agree with you about hopefully the community does take wow's path and starts to single out a race. Which i don't think it will tbh since we don't have a factions.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

I always thought it was in good fun and general geek humor. I haven't experienced any one being denied any thing in game for playing a certain race.

At one point on a small server I used to play on. I'm quite sure I was the only (at least active daily) female tauren enhancement shaman. I used to get a kick out of joining a new arena team getting into the match and having my team mate shout over skype "omg you're a cow!"

I think the Sylvari appeal to people because they are such a foreign concept. Plant people born from a tree. A race only 25 years old. I find them fascinating....which is why my Asura is going to study them indefinitely.

Truthfully, I find all the races really interesting. My first toon will be a Norn, but I like the lore behind them the best. However, like most people will say they will have 1 of each profession, I will have 1 of each race for sure. Being able to play through the differing race storylines should be satisfying to the extreme! I'm really not a fan of the GW2 races vs WoW races comparisons though; While there may be some physical similarities (and I use that term loosely) the lore and story behind the races that you would compare are so vastly different. I think the biggest culprit here is the tauren/charr comparison; these two races are so vastly different... The only exception may be humans, and humans are.... humans... yeah...

Anyway, back to OT; I think some of it is the "elvish" feel some people get from the sylvari, some is how different they are from other races in other games, some could be people who just like nature based lore and stuff. So many reasons really. So really, to each their own.

Deleted
    I love the Norn as well OP, but I also like the Sylvari for their lore, for the fact they're moving plants basically and for their home. So yes, these are my two favourite races till now in game

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Oh boy, I'm going to get beat up for saying this...

They are the elves of GW2.

Don't hate me for feeling that way, and yes I know the differences!
    well i'd agree, except that elves are usually designed as beautiful creatures.
    to me, sylvari as they're now are about as beautiful as a pile of floated wood in a muddy swamp. :x

Deleted

Erm no noone will do this sort of thing how could they... -hides Asura pinata in a bush-

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an unique race, plant-infested people born form a great tree, which by the way looks B. E. A. -UTIFUL.

10+ Year Old Account
    I finished up reading the Edge of Destiny, and caithe is an absolute badass. Out of any of the faction "heros?" caithe is 100% who'd I like to fight for. Logan Thackery is a $%^# bailing whipped peice of crap. I'm not into char looks either, but I respect rytlock a lot more.

Sylvari are just awesome looking as well, and the dynamic where they know all these things about the world, but nothing about the customs to interact with it is super interesting. For instance, in ghosts of ascalon there is a sylvari necromancer who starts animating the corpses of some dead former friends of her companions and has no clue why it's offensive to them. Part of exploring the world to them, is just experiencing how to interact with the people from other races around you.

TLDR: I love the possible story Dynamics, and how awesome they look!

They fill the role of elfs. Many players default to wanting to be the skinny, effeminate, fancypants race.

I'm more of a Charr person myself. But...I dig on plant critters. The revised Sylvari pull off planticity pretty well, despite the elf shape. So now I'll either play one and be self loathing or not play them and let my envy get the better of me.

I couldn't figure out what race I wanted my Necromancer to be, until I saw a sylvari female necromancer video.

That class/race just looks so bloody awesome.

Then again, I want my warrior to look massive and Charr will be the race for that. If GW2 had a "undead" race my necro would definately be that.. But unfortunately !
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't wait for all the plants vs. zombies puns in the sylvari zones
    they'll be there, right?
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    People seem to be over complicating the question.

The fact is that Sylvari are as close to elves as you can get in GW2 , and as we all know Elves have a rather large fan base.
    Just look at WoW for example 26% of the WoW population is elf (Night/Blood) which is 1 in 4. 31% of the Horde are elves (LoL) and 22% of the Alliance are elves.

Personally i've never been a fan of elves but they are without doubt the most popular generic fantasy race.